• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Y and Q Paths / Section 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legolash2o

Can some please explain what Y-Paths and Q-Paths are? Are there any other types that I need to be aware of?

Also, I know Section 4's are possessions but what is Section 5?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
A Q path is when the train only runs when needed, but often it's that the train runs often enough that it needs a booked time and booked path through stations. The path will only get activated when needed, but even then an activation may not necessarily equate to an actual departure.

D6700

"Q" Paths are those that run only when required. By default, TRUST assumes such trains are not running, as they are not automatically "called" (activated in RTT speak). Manual calling of such a schedule makes it live in TRUST and enables reporting to take place.

"Y" Paths are the same, in that they are manual call, but exist where there are different versions of a train. This is usually, but not exclusively, because of different origin and/or destination points, but sharing a common core path. For example, there used to be coal trains from various Scottish coal loading points to multiple powers stations in West Yorkshire, which would share a common path between Carlisle and Leeds. The one that was required on any given day would be manually called.

Section 5 possessions are cyclical possession opportunities on midweek nights. In my area, many of these are every six weeks. Unlike Section 4, the timetable is not built around Section 5 possession opportunities and train schedules need to be amended on a weekly basis to fit around them. There are also Section 7 possessions (this is known as "The Register"), which are jobs that are too time consuming to be accommodated in Section 4 or Section 5 opportunities.

D6700

I haven't got time to answer the latter part, but take a look here:
https://www.networkrail.co.uk/industry-commercial-partners/information-operating-companies/

and specifically here: (which can also be accessed from the above page)
http://archive.nr.co.uk/browse documents/Rules Of The Route/Viewable copy/roprhome.pdf

In the latter link, the "Timetable Planning Rules", also known as the "Rules of the Plan" essentially tell you HOW to plan a train, whilst the "Engineering Access Statement", also known as the "Rules of the Route" essentially tell you WHEN you can plan a train.

Status
Not open for further replies.