• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Y-P Svr Rtn valid routing query.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Death

Established Member
Hail everyone! <D
I'm going to be taking a trip from Farnborough Main to Blackpool for the weekend in the middle of April, and on the return journey I'm planning to stop with a friend in Middlesborough for a few days. :)

If I buy a Saver Return from Farnborough Main - Blackpool via London:
Is there any valid way I can route my return journey via Middlesborough so that it might be valid on the return portion of my ticket, or will I need to buy a second Saver to "bolt on" to the first? :)

Also: When leaving Middlesborough for London (It'll be a week-day most likely), what would be the best route for getting some 91-hauled milage in? I havn't ridden an APT-U in years, and wouldn't mind trying one again! :shock::grin:8-)

Farewell, and thanks in advance! <D
>> Death <<

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
CORE suggests not, but it did find over 64000 routes! :shock:

The online routeing guide shows travel via WCML only, with your best route via Reading and Coventry to Preston. No mention of Middlesbrough at all.

Thetrainline can't find anything either :(

Looks like you'll have to split the return portion of your ticket at Middlebrough, and I have a feeling that that'll cost a bit.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Can you give a rough idea of what your itinery is - how long in Blackpool and how long in Middlesbrough? also if there any time contraints.

djw1981

Established Member
For cl91 haulage from Darlington, see the NX website - if you go to look at teh timetable, the haulage is specified at the top of the column for each train. Of course this may change depending on set having maintenance issues!

Krispo

First time I've come accross CORE. it's pretty confusing. Seemed tepremantal (sp) aswell

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Please don't rely on CORE. As the author himself says, it's now out of date. In any case it's not authoritative. The algorithm used for displaying permitted routes does not show the most sensible routes first and, for long distance journeys, it will only show the first few routes and it may even time out altogether.

If only ATOC would employ Clive to provide a fully functioning, highly tweaked version and keep it up to date, then everyone could be in no doubt as to what valid routes are.

Instead we have to manually go through the online Routeing Guide, which is a tedious process.

I recommend doing Carlisle-Newcastle via York/Leeds before the next edition though ;)

For more info on the RG, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Routeing_Guide
There are also many discussions on it's use at news://uk.railway

A few tips on using the RG:-

- Know your rights,
- If undertaking a complex journey, bring the relevant pages of the RG with you to prove your route is valid, as a small minority of guards make up the rules as they go along and refuse to consult the RG themselves
- If you know you are valid and a guard asks you to pay an excess, refuse, as it is very difficult to get your money back later
- Bear in mind the shortest route is always valid, as are direct trains, irrespective of mapped routes.
- Remember that time restrictions on off peak tickets are bound by the ticket. Some guards mistakenly think (due to poor training) that no Savers are valid out of King's Cross or Liverpool Street at peak time - that is not true!
- Make use of 'Group stations' - you CAN double-back between them for interchange purposes (e.g. you can use a York to South Milford via Leeds, or a Letchworth to Arlesey via Stevenage!)

me123

Established Member
Please don't rely on CORE. As the author himself says, it's now out of date. In any case it's not authoritative. The algorithm used for displaying permitted routes does not show the most sensible routes first and, for long distance journeys, it will only show the first few routes and it may even time out altogether.

The main problem I have with CORE is that you can't specify "travel via" and, as it does time out, your route may not appear despite the fact it exists. I do find it quite useful myself, as it lets you see basic routes that you sometimes overlook, and it's much easier and faster than the routeing guide itself. If a simple route appears on there, it's very likely to remain valid today. In the first place, I checked it out in case there was a blatently obvious route that I was missing.

As Yorkie says, however, the routeing guide itself is a fantastic toll and, ATM, there's no real substitute for it. It can be a bit confusing, what with about four different windows at one time or page flicks in the paper edition, but it's the only definitive way.

As Yorkie (and Clive) say as well, know your rights. If you can make a short journey longer and save a wad of cash, do do it if you want coverage. I can guarantee the guard'll be skeptical of the following journey:

CORE said:
Mapped route from Montrose to Inverness on map FD+SG+PA
Origin routeing point Dundee; compare fares!

Distance: 329 miles 76 chains
From Montrose to Dundee, to Leuchars, to Ladybank, to Markinch, to Glenrothes with Thornton (few trains), to Inverkeithing via Cowdenbeath (Fife Circle west side), to North Queensferry, to Dalmeny, to South Gyle (via Forth Bridge), to (Edinburgh) Haymarket, to Kirknewton via Slateford, to Carstairs, to Carluke, to Shieldmuir (avoiding Wishaw), to Wishaw, to Holytown (few trains), to Bellshill, to Uddingston, to Motherwell (avoiding Hamilton), to Whifflet, to Coatbridge Central, to Greenfaulds, to Cumbernauld, to Camelon, to Larbert, to Stirling, to Perth, to Inverness via Aviemore.

but according to CORE it is possible. (Extreme example, but you get my point). *

The main problem I have with CORE is that it suggests some of the most absurd routes, like the one above, that clearly will not be accepted by any guard.

*nb I do not know if it is still possible

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
me123 - slight problem - you are using Dundee as the RP for Montrose, but that RP is not applicable for that journey (see fares).

However, it would appear that is (or was...) a valid route from Dundee to Inverness.

me123

Established Member
Making a point Yorkie :roll: take with a pinch of salt ;)

Death

Established Member
Hail All! <D
Cheers for the validity and routing info above...At the moment, I'm thinking I'll take a Saver Return from Farnborough Main to Blackpool, and another one on the return journey to cover me from Preston/Manchester to Middlesborough. :)

Have to admit that I downloaded the Routeing Guide yesterday and had a brief look at it, and the whole thing to me reads like a book on advanced Chess techniques! :D:razz:
"Ye may move Pawn to King four...But only if ye do not double-back anywhere in the Darlington group, and route thyself via Taunton in the process!" :lol:
Actually...Wasn't the BR Routeing Guide the initial inspiration for that classic game; Mornington Crescent?... 8-)

On the subject of Network Fail publications though, I notice that sections B and C of the NFM aren't available for download from the Network Fail site...Although given their truly idiotic views on footbridge and LC placement, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised... :roll::mad:<(
Could someone please point me to a page where I could download NFM sections B and C for all editions of the NFM? It's just that I'd like to research my fares for this trip in full...Especially after finding out yesterday that my ticket would cost about £4.00 less if my journey originated from Guildford for some reason... :shock::roll::?

Farewell, and thanks again! <D
>> Death <<

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Don't confuse Network Fail with National Rail. National Rail is, basically, ATOC.

As for the fares, the full NFM is not available online, but you can purchase one of the regional editions in printed format.

I still don't know exactly what your plans are, but it sounds like you are doing London-Blackpool, then a break for a few days (??), then Blackpool to Middlesbrough, then a break for a few days (??), then Middlesbrough to London. I am guessing it's not all in the same day as that would leave no time to do anything at either place. Is there any way you can specify the Blackpool-Middlesbrough section in advance? If so, I suggest a ticket from Farnborough to Glasgow. You can then get a cheap TPE AP ticket accross the Pennines on TPE, or if you prefer, a Preston to Glasgow/Edinburgh cheap TPE AP ticket and really get value for money!

Farnborough-Glasgow is about £3 more than Farnborough-Middlesbrough.

Doubling back betwen Thornaby and Middlesbrough is permitted so no additional ticket needed for that. BOJ is permitted on the return journey. Preston-Blackpool is cheap.

That's the best way to do it if you want to maximise mileage

Death

Established Member
Hail All! <D
Just to clarify for Yorkie and others, here's a brief outline of my intended route:
  • 11th April 2008CE: Travel from Farnborough group (Farnborough Main/North and Blackwater) to Blackpool North or South, depending on what goes first from Manchester Picadilly when I get there.
  • 13th April 2008CE: Travel from Blackpool PB to Middlesborough, hopefully catching 158820 at some point en-route! <D
  • 14th-17th April 2008CE: Travel from Middlesborough to Farnborough group, preferably via the ECML for some APT-U bashing if possible.
Cheers in advance for any info regarding ticketing and potential haulage down this route! 8-)

Regarding the NFM:
I've opened a new thread in National Rail > Fares, Ticketing and Routeing > National Fares Manual as I feel that the current NFM discussion here would be better placed in a seperate thread. Catch ye there in about ten minutes after this post! :)

Farewell, and many thanks for thy help once again! <D
>> Death <<

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I can't find cheap fares from Blackpool, but from Preston this is £8.25 advance single...

PRESTON 09:30 Train TRANSPENNINE EXPRESS
MANCHESTER PICCADILLY 10:15 10:42 Train TRANSPENNINE EXPRESS
MIDDLESBROUGH 13:10

If you want to go for mega mileage, £13 Virgin Advances are available to Glasgow/Edinburgh , and I think this is via the S&C.

The price of a SVR from Glasgow is £3 more than from Middlesbrough, so seems a good way of maximising value for money, but you can't use the outward portion on the 14th so you would need one of the tickets mentioned above.

Death

Established Member
Hail All! <D
Cheers again for all of the fares info etc. Looking at my Avantix installation briefly, it might be cheapest for me to get a return to Blackpool North and add a saver single into the mix, using some discretion concerning the shorter return journey via NXEC to Kings Cross to save me having to buy two returns. Having said that though, although Avantix looks and feels very easy to use (It runs well on my XP Pro system, although it did crash MSN five minutes after load! :shock::lol:) I've only had a very quick play with it thus far. :)
-------------------------------------------------
On another note, I'm now in a bit of a quandry regarding something relating to this, and could do with some advice regarding how the railway might view this kind of thing, and whether they understand the true meaning of the phrases "discretion" and "extenuating circumstance" or not... :|

Now my plan was to go to Blackpool for the weekend as I'm going to a Rollercoaster Club of GB event there, and that part of the plan still stands. However, I was also going to visit my friend in Middlesborough after this as "bolting" it on to an existing journey North is the only way I can afford to see him...I don't have enough cash to do a dedicated return trip, alas... :sad:

Now, another thing that has been ongoing for a while is that at the end of December 2007CE, another resident within my block - Who all of us here knew quite well - Passed away rather unexpectedly. Until now we knew nothing of the funeral arrangements, but I got in this evening to find a note on my door mat to say that the funeral had finally been arranged. Ye've no doubt guessed it already; It's on Monday 14th, in Aldershot, at 09:00. :shock:

So now I'm faced with a very difficult situation, as I really need to see my friend in Middlesborough if I can. However, I also knew the resident who passed away quite well, and as soon as her death was known about I planned to do my level best to attend her funeral. Either way, I feel that it'd be a gross injustice on my part if I wasn't at the funeral, as it'll be our last chance to say our farewells to her before her Spirit is committed to the heavens... :sad:

I've already given thought to thrashing at full-speed to Middlesborough for Sunday night, and pulling an APT down to Aldershot in time for the funeral the next morning, but I doubt that I'd make it even if I got perfect changes all the way (My record for crossing London from train door to train door is about eight minutes already! :shock:) and caught a taxi from Aldershot station! :mad:

So what I'm basically asking here is:
Given that I cannot afford to do two seperate return journeys from Farnborough to Blackpool and Middlesborough respectively (I'm on DSS benefits and signed off with an incapacity), yet still need to attend the funeral in Aldershot as it'd be unreasonable and unfair for me not to (Which obviously necessiatates me returning to Farnborough on Sunday afternoon) surely there must be some kind of "fairness" legislation in place to allow me to make a "free" (Fare waived) return journey from Manchester to Farnborough/Aldershot so I can attend the funeral, then go to Middlesborough on the Monday night? :?:

After all...I've had no part or hand in the funeral arrangements (It's a state funeral as the deceased had no next of kin, to my knowlege) so there was no way that this could've been taken into account at all. The notice that we've been given is short enough as it is, and yet even though I've had these plans for Sunday to Thursday next week in place for a good month at least, my known level of ability in using public transport and only needing scant milliseconds to make connections/changes means that for me to not attend the funeral would be considered very bad on my part. :sad:

Though I can easily make the journeys themselves as far as travel goes, it's the cost of the tickets that mean I can't afford to do this...And the length of journey involved does add another difficulty, for it'd be FAR less likely to be "written off" by a manager or someone else in authority, given the extra 550 miles that it means I'd be travelling. If it was a funeral in Darlington or Leeds, then it'd be a different (And likely to be authorised) case...But Blackpool PB > Farnborough/Aldershot > Middlesborough? Unlikely... :shock::sad::cry:

Now I'd hope that National Rail would show appropriate, sensitive discretion in this case and allow me a waived journey so that I could cover both bases as necessary...And personally, if they decided not to show discretion in these circumstances, then it'd prove to me that they don't give a c**p about customers, and - Prompted by myself - The media could read some VERY interesting things into that insofar as health and safety on the railways are concerned... ;)

Either way...Permit or no, I may well do the double-return as it's the only way I can make it all work out. My appearance is distinctive and unique enough...So if any guards or DOO drivers working trains along the WCML and in the Manchester, Blackpool, Preston and Middlesborough areas should see me travelling on their services, PLEASE understand that I may be travelling without a valid ticket for the reasons outlined above...And for goodness sakes, PLEASE don't try issuing me a penalty or "standard" fare - A thousand thanks in advance! :)

So can anyone see a simple way around this issue? I don't want to miss the funeral at all, but at the same time if I turn up at the funeral as I hope to, it means that I won't be able to afford to visit my friend in Middlesborough who I've been wanting to see for a long time...And who is only in student digs for a short while longer, and won't be able to accommodate me when he returns to his parents mid way through May! :sad::cry:

Farewell, and thanks again for thy valuable help... <D
>> Death <<

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You won't be able to blag a Blackpool-Farnborough ticket via the ECML! As for a saver single - pointless; it'll be 10p less than the return. Getting a return at least gets you valid to York/Doncaster...

I don't think the free trip because of the funeral will go down too well.

If you can give the revised dates (and approximate times) of your journeys given the change in circumstance, I will see if there's something that can work better.

Death

Established Member
Hail again! <D
You won't be able to blag a Blackpool-Farnborough ticket via the ECML! As for a saver single - pointless; it'll be 10p less than the return. Getting a return at least gets you valid to York/Doncaster...
I took a peek at the 2007CE fares manual (Avantix) last night, and at least I now know that the cheapest way for me to do this is to buy a Saver Return from Farnborough to Blackpool, and buy another saver from Manchester to Middlesborough...So that's me general route and ticketing sorted at least. :)
I don't think the free trip because of the funeral will go down too well.
Like I pointed out above, it's totally not my fault that the funeral has been booked on such a stupid date, it was some nameless git at the Council who chose the date of the ceremony...And I personally don't see why I should be forced to bankrupt myself because half way through a trip North, I'm having to dart south again to attend the funeral of a family friend that I do NOT plan to miss! <(

Well, what I've decided thus far is that - Given that I genuinely cannot afford to purchase two seperate return tickets to perform my journey, I've got no choice but to practice some discretionary fare evasion with regard to the extra return journey to Farnborough that this'll necessitate. Given the circumstances surrounding this whole thing, I feel that such actions would be completely justified.
(That, and would a Guard be willing to argue with me if I'm wearing my Bracers with the 6" spikes on my arms? :D;))

Another part of the plan however is to carry pre-printed letters with me that explain the circumstances in full, that I can sign/date and surrender at any time a penalty fare etc. is issued. This'll have the effect of lodging a formal written appeal against the PF at the time the PF was issued, whilst also explaining the reasons for my unpaid journeys and exactly why my obligation to carry a valid ticket should be waived.
Either way though, as a result of this tremendous male chicken-up on the Council's part (They arranged the date of the funeral after all) as far as I'm concerned liability for all fines, penalty fares, and convictions etc. will lie with either Rushmoor Borough or Hampshire County councils, depending on which of them was responsible for arranging it! :mad:
If you can give the revised dates (and approximate times) of your journeys given the change in circumstance, I will see if there's something that can work better.
Here's my revised routing given the new circumstances:
  • Tomorrow, 11th April: Farnborough to Blackpool Stns, via London, Manchester and Preston.
  • Sunday, 13th April: Blackpool Stns to Farnborough, via Crewe and London or Reading.
  • Monday, 14th April: After funeral, backtrack Farnborough - Manchester, then Manchester - Middlesborough.
  • Thursday, 17th April: Middlesborough - Farnborough via ECML and London.
Journeys in Italics are the extra trips that I've had to add on as a result of this badly dated funeral, and wouldn't have to have been made if it wasn't for Rushmoor/Hampshire council being such Richard-heads... :mad::(

Oh well, we'll have to see how it goes in practice. I'd best take this chance to warn any Guards or other revenue staff who read this that - Given the circumstances - I will not accept being issued with a PF or similar device, and I will certainly NOT accept my journey being terminated prematurely for whatever reason! <(

The other thing that peeves me off about this though is the short notice that we've had of the funeral also...If theyd've given us two weeks or so (As opposed to a single Bloody weekend!) of advance notice, it'd have given me enough time to appeal my case with the long-haul TOCs (Virgin etc.) and see if any form of arrangement could've been made in advance! :mad::sad::cry:

Later edit: On second thoughts, it's looking like it'll be cheaper to hire a car - I just got a one week rental quote for £120.00. I havn't driven in almost a year though, and bearing that in mind I'm not sure if covering 1,500 miles in a week at the helm of 2Z66 is a really wise idea... :shock::roll::???:

Farewell... <D
>> Death <<

theblackwatch

Established Member
Sorry to be blunt, but a funeral is not an excuse for fare evasion. If I had a funeral to attend a couple of hundred miles away, I would not expect to be allowed to travel to it for free. In my mind, you have a choice to pay up or not attend the funeral - if you cannot afford 2 separate tickets, don't do one of the journeys. You are also choosng still to visit a friend in Middlesbrough, hardly an essential part of the funeral. It seems to be all about 'me me me' rather than chainging your plans because of the circumstances.

Tom B

Established Member
Sorry to be blunt, but a funeral is not an excuse for fare evasion. If I had a funeral to attend a couple of hundred miles away, I would not expect to be allowed to travel to it for free. In my mind, you have a choice to pay up or not attend the funeral - if you cannot afford 2 separate tickets, don't do one of the journeys. You are also choosng still to visit a friend in Middlesbrough, hardly an essential part of the funeral. It seems to be all about 'me me me' rather than chainging your plans because of the circumstances.

Well put. If the funeral is so important - miss out the trip to see the friend - go another time.

Death

Established Member
Hail again! <D
Sorry to be blunt, but a funeral is not an excuse for fare evasion. If I had a funeral to attend a couple of hundred miles away, I would not expect to be allowed to travel to it for free.
Hmmm...That's a totally fair argument, and I see what ye are saying. My main issue here is that I originally intended to purchase a return to Blackpool (£49.90 at 2007CE prices) and add a return to Middlesborough from Manchester (£27.60) which - Up until yesterday - Was a perfectly workable and cost-effective plan. :)

The issue here of course is that (Working on 2007CE prices) doing a legitimate working would require two seperate returns at £49.90 and £67.15 to Blackpool and Middlesborough respectively - A total of £117.05 which I can't really afford, and wouldn't have to pay in the first place if the idiots who arranged the funeral had given us all a bit more lead time! <(
In my mind, you have a choice to pay up or not attend the funeral - if you cannot afford 2 separate tickets, don't do one of the journeys.
Well, like I said above; If it wasn't for the completely inconvenient timing of the funeral, than I wouldn't need to be worrying about this in the first place and could do the whole run on a pair of savers. I don't suppose there's a form of WCML-only Rover available, is there? :)
[Peeks at Avantix for the prices of weeklies between Farnborough and Manchester - OK...Avantix is saying that it's "not available". I'll have to ring National Rail Enquiries again... :mad:]

On the other hand, Hertz in Farnborough just quoted me £90.00 for a weeks rental on a Ford Fiesta (With a fair likelyhood of being upgraded) so it's looking highly likely that I'll be hiring a car insted as - With my economical driving habits (I somehow got my last 1.6l, 1.5t Volvo 440 the whole 250 miles from Reading to Pont Abraham on just £9.50 worth of Unleaded! :shock:) - I should hopefully be able to keep the fuel costs to under £30.00 per leg if I cruise at 50-60mph up the motorway. 8-)
My concern here though is that I've not driven for about a year, have only driven one long-distance return trip in my life by car (Farnborough to Haverfordwest) and I'm just a bit nervous about getting straight behind the wheel again after such a long break. :???:

Actually...Given that one can hire cars and motorcycles, it's a logical assumption that trains should be hireable as well. Does anyone know how much it'd cost me to hire a Sprinter for the week? :lol::D:razz:
(Being serious here: Even though I'm untrained, I'd personally feel a lot safer at the controls of a 15x than at the wheel of a Fiesta! :shock::))
You are also choosng still to visit a friend in Middlesbrough, hardly an essential part of the funeral. It seems to be all about 'me me me' rather than chainging your plans because of the circumstances.
For thy info, this is a good friend that I have known for years and havn't been able to see at all since he moved up there, and I'd say that it's perfectly reasonable for me to plan to take the initiative and visit him whilst I'm up in that part of the World, and as I mentioned previously I'm also pretty much compelled to attend at the funeral, too...So I need to go up, down, then back up again! :|

Ho hum...Looks like I'm going to have to drive it up there insted. Driving isn't a problem for me at all (I've held my licence for almost five years) but being stuck at an effective maximum speed of 60mph (For economy and to reduce pollution) and sitting in a stationary traffic jam whilst a Pendo flies past me at 140mph is going to drive me completely up the wall... <(:mad::cry:

--- Old post above / New post below: ---

Just had some additional thoughts about road vs rail, and I'd like peoples comments if that's OK:
  • Going by rail, the whole journey to Blackpool (250 miles) will take about four hours or so, maybe 3.5 if I get my changes right. The train goes at up to 140mph, is a darn sight more environmentally friendly than a car (My last one probabally generated more pollution going from my house to the local supermarket than a Pendo going from London to Glasgow! :cry:), is a lot more comfortable than a car IMO, and being a passenger means that if I only grab two hours of sleep tonight, there aren't any issues as far as health and safety is concerned. 8-)

However, the total journey may well cost about £125.00 if I have to buy two tickets (Which is more than I feel I can afford straight up) although if I go by rail in the end, I might have a chat with VT at Euston tomorrow to see if any kind of grace arrangement (Say, getting my second return to Manchester at half-price) could be made. :)
  • Going by car, I'll be travelling at no greater average speed than 60mph and with the necessary rest stops (Warwick M40, Birmingham N M6, Knutsford M6 and Preston at least.) the journey will probabally take a minimum of six hours to complete. Also, because I'll need to be bright eyed and bushy tailed for the trip, I'll probabally not get going until about 14:00 tomorrow. :???:
    The car hire option seems to be the cheaper of the two as one weeks hire with Hertz is about £90.00. However I have to add fuel on top of that, and here's where another issue rears it's head:

In my last car (A 1.6L injection Volvo) I was able to keep the fuel usage surprisingly low and obtain economy of up to 125mpg (Estimated) on the motorway by accellerating gently to 65mph, then throwing the gear into neutral and coasting until the speed dropped to 55mph or less - Much in the same way as standard driving practice for a lot of DMUs. The main optimisation factors here were aimed at keeping the engine running as slowly as possible - Within reasonable limits - And only applying power where needed to maintain an acceptable motorway speed, so I'd often apply gentle power up hills, then coast down the other side.
    Now my last car was a good 1.5t of rampaging Scandanavian steel, and her heavy weight meant that she would have much more natural momentum than most other cars and even some HGVs. <D

Given that a Fiesta probabally weighs half of what my Volvo did, I suppose I'd be having to apply more power to the engine than in my Volvo, and actually use more fuel even though the engine'll be almost half the size of my Volvo's one. So bearing that in mind, I'm assuming that I'd average out to about £35.00 or more per leg in fuel costs... :???:
So...Would it work out cheaper to go by rail in the long run? :?:
After all, 125mpg in a Volvo is good...But even a small design of American car won't do better than 75mpg I fear. I'm confused... :shock::???::sad::cry:

Farewell... <D
>> Death <<

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's 2 return journeys now, so nothing much can be done to make it cheaper like a circular route. Your only options are
1) Get 2 Savers @ approx £117
2) Hire a car @ approx £120 (is that including fuel, insurance, etc?)

Bear in mind on the train your time will be much more productive than if you are driving.

There's no chance of being able to 'eff it' on the basis of going to a funeral, and the procedure would be to get your name/address (which would then be verified) and send you a bill ('Unpaid fare notice') for a Standard Open Single or Return for the journey being made, you are then given time to pay it. Refusal to co-operate with the procedure would result in BTP being involved. So it's not adviseable!!

voyagerdude220

Established Member
and I think this is via the S&C.

Our Voyagers & Pendos are certainly running along the S&C :grin:

I was on the first northbound diversion out of Preston on the 29th March (11:00 ex Preston, 09:03 ex Brum), formed of 221103 & 221112, and took them both back from Glasgow at 16:10.

I'm also doing a similar move in two weeks time.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Apparently there is some bad news in the secret publication, 'Newsrail Express', which is not publicly visible.... anyone got a copy?

If what I've read is true, then the so-called "simplification" is a MASSIVE fare rise by stealth, yet the Government insisted this would not happen. Are they lying weasels? We're about to find out...

Death

Established Member
Hail All! <D
Apparently there is some bad news in the secret publication, 'Newsrail Express', which is not publicly visible.... anyone got a copy?
Well...After a few hours of hacking about, I managed to procure myself a copy of the latest one; Issue 363 of NewsRail Express - April 2008CE <D
Just in case ATOC decide to go all anal on us and try to hide everything, I've attached a PDF copy of that issue of NewsRail to this post for people to peruse if they so wish. 8-)

To keep on topic: I wrote a load of NewsRail Express related stuff into this post as well, but I'm going to move this into a new thread (Somewhere under the National Rail section) so that it can more easily be accessed by everyone. :)
If what I've read is true, then the so-called "simplification" is a MASSIVE fare rise by stealth, yet the Government insisted this would not happen. Are they lying weasels? We're about to find out...
I know this could be seen as following on from what I mentioned above, but if it's a major increase by stealth intended to hike fares without the public noticing, then I will be making a protest by FE-ing every journey that I take until the increase is cancelled...And trust me, ATOC don't want to try messing with me when I'm in a bad mood, as that's when I'll probabally get the spikey baseball bat out... <(
(And trust me...I know the BTP are the same as the ordinary Police, but they'd be best advised not to mess with me when I'm within reach of the controls on any high-speed Diesel... :shock::D;))

Personally, I'm beginning to think that it's time someone took ATOC down a notch or two hundred... :???::mad:<(

Farewell... <D
>> Death <<

Attachments

• NewsRail_Express_-_NE_363.pdf
    758.3 KB · Views: 2
Status
Not open for further replies.