• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Yeadon Branch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigman

I live in Yeadon and often walk down the old railway path down to Guiseley. I know that Yeadon station was only really used for excursion traffic, and that everything else was local freight. This got me thinking. What freight actually worked up the branch, where did they operate from, and what freight flows were there? Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ken H

On Moderation
I live in Yeadon and often walk down the old railway path down to Guiseley. I know that Yeadon station was only really used for excursion traffic, and that everything else was local freight. This got me thinking. What freight actually worked up the branch, where did they operate from, and what freight flows were there? Thanks in anticipation.
Google 'lost railways of west yorkshire' They have a page on the Yeadon branch. Their map suggests there was a rail connection into green lane mill.

Bigman

Thanks for the responses. I do know that the main traffic was to the dye works, plus the usual coal, milk traffic etc, but I was looking for a steer as to where the trains actually worked from. Presumably they must have been trip workings from local yards?

Gloster

Established Member
In 1951 there was a Stourton-Guiseley-Yeadon working, while in the line’s last few years there was a pick-up goods leaving Guiseley around midday MWFO. (Source: The Otley and Ilkley Joint Railway, Smith and Bairstow, Bairstow, 1992.)

EDIT: The 1958 timings of S79 trip were Stourton 09.30, Guiseley 10.43-ca.11.05, Yeadon 11.15-12.15, Guiseley ca.12.25-15.35: then to Hunslet. SO depart Yeadon 11.30 and Guiseley 12.30. (Source as above.) Similar timings probably dated from before World War II and quite possibly long before that.

Last edited:

Bigman

In 1951 there was a Stourton-Guiseley-Yeadon working, while in the line’s last few years there was a pick-up goods leaving Guiseley around midday MWFO. (Source: The Otley and Ilkley Joint Railway, Smith and Bairstow, Bairstow, 1992.)

EDIT: The 1958 timings of S79 trip were Stourton 09.30, Guiseley 10.43-ca.11.05, Yeadon 11.15-12.15, Guiseley ca.12.25-15.35: then to Hunslet. SO depart Yeadon 11.30 and Guiseley 12.30. (Source as above.) Similar timings probably dated from before World War II and quite possibly long before that.
That's brilliant. Thanks a lot for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.