• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Yellow Blank Displays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wigan,United Kingdon and Kingswood Nsw, Australia
Does anyone know why the 142's seem to be running round with Yellow blank Syndrome i noted 142001 on Kirkbys and 142022 On Wallgates both with Yellow blank displays isnt 142001 a NH unit so shouldnt it have Victoria/Kirkby on the blinds? where as 142022 is an Eastern unit?? so that can be excused.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordy

Established Member
142001 is one of the ones that went to FGW, maybe Northern haven't changed the blind back yet?

Crossover

Established Member
142001 is an ex FGW unit (I was on it this afternoon, so can say that with some confidence!)
EDIT: Jordy has got there before me!

I have to say I never noticed the destination blinds on the service (was looking at the Cornwall sticker someone pointed out to me) but I guess the fact it has come from down south recently could mean it doesn't have a Northern destination blind yet? (wishing I had paid more attention to this now!)

If it is the case though, it seems a bit odd as the unit has had a new livery already so you'd have thought the blinds would also have been done too :s

Crossover

Established Member
I did correct myself, it is/was a Devon sticker. (The green looked to be a faded black)

Apologies, I don't think I heard that - lets just go with it was a flag :P (did you notice the destination blind? - seems like the rest of us were erm...blind...to it :P)

driver9000

Established Member
142001 does carry Northern blinds. The mechanism is quite old now and may be damaged, some haven't had the mechanism modification to bring the winding handle out of the destination box yet. At least one of the ex-FGW 142s has the mechanism and rollers missing so doesn't have a blind.

142001 is one of the ones that went to FGW, maybe Northern haven't changed the blind back yet?

Don't think so. I saw 142001 at Salford Crescent yesterday with 'Manchester Victoria' on the blind. (Saw the Devon sticker in the window as well).

Also does it still have the FGW interior?

Crossover

Established Member
Don't think so. I saw 142001 at Salford Crescent yesterday with 'Manchester Victoria' on the blind. (Saw the Devon sticker in the window as well).

Also does it still have the FGW interior?

I'm glad someone was paying more attention than I was :P

We had the same unit as it worked the return all shacks to Wigan and beyond to Kirkby Merseyside

The interior is in pretty good condition really, even the pink fixtures actually look pretty good too! Not sure how long Northern will end up keeping the FGW seat coverings, though

sprite

Didn't see if 142001 had a working blind. At least one other 142 I saw going past was showing a blank yellow destination.
Interestingly, 323235 has new PIS screens, including on the carriage sides, but the old interior, where as 3232329 has the old PIS and has been refreshed inside. Saw a 3rd 323, that has been refreshed and has roller blinds fitted now.

Last edited:

mrpsb

I'm glad someone was paying more attention than I was :P

We had the same unit as it worked the return all shacks to Wigan and beyond to Kirkby Merseyside

The interior is in pretty good condition really, even the pink fixtures actually look pretty good too! Not sure how long Northern will end up keeping the FGW seat coverings, though

FGW covers don't look that different to the northern ones, certainly more like them than the revolting Merseyrail ones.

mrpsb

It's a blue background with stripes on. They're a slightly different shape, and a have extra colour, but it's still closer to Northern's own colours than the motley selection of Arriva and Merseyrail colours they also run without any apparent intention to replace. If it had "FIRST GREAT WESTERN" all over it I'd agree the branding was obvious enough to consider replacing.

Temple Meads

Established Member
If I remember correctly 142001 had "Manchester Piccadilly" on it's destination blind on the night of the FGW Class 142 farewell.

First class

Established Member
It's a blue background with stripes on. They're a slightly different shape, and a have extra colour, but it's still closer to Northern's own colours than the motley selection of Arriva and Merseyrail colours they also run without any apparent intention to replace. If it had "FIRST GREAT WESTERN" all over it I'd agree the branding was obvious enough to consider replacing.

All of Northerns 142s are in their own livery (except these FGW ones and those with promotional liveries). Merseyrail/Arriva Trains Northern liveries went a while back AFAIK.

sprinterguy

Established Member
All of Northerns 142s are in their own livery (except these FGW ones and those with promotional liveries). Merseyrail/Arriva Trains Northern liveries went a while back AFAIK.
It's just the seat moquettes that mrpsb is referring to. And of course, the seat moquette in the former ATN units originates from Northern Spirit days.

Geeves

Established Member
As driver9000 states more than likely the reason for 001 displaying yellow is because its so difficult to change!

Behind the blind are two pannels which open horizontally. You have to try and keep both open while winding the handle inside the second door because you can only see the blind through the first door! I gave up last time. :lol:

dk1

Veteran Member
That reconstructed 52 end of GA's 156417 is often on blank as the stupid blind is so stiff/awkward & takes the flippin skin off your knuckles.

driver9000

Established Member
Just a note with regards the toiletless end of 142001 the seat fabric had come off atleast 8 sets of seats before it had made it to Wigan so wouldnt be shocked if this gets a minor refurb just to sort the seat moquette out.

That happens from time to time with the bench seat covers, its a 2 minute job to put them back on.

Cant believe how stiff the destination blind handle is on 52417, you cant even wind it properly - its too stiff to turn and you end up scraping your knuckles at the top where the cover door closes. From my point of view the tension bar where the rollers fit into on the left hand side needs loosening, i only had to change it from Norwich to Lowestoft, the tension is far too tight and blind will end up tearing before long. Why is the light so far down, on all other 156s you cant see the light for the destination blind.

short term solution
I have found a way of loosening the tension whilst you wind the blind, i know its a short term measure but it makes it easier to change, the tension bar on the left where the rollers fit into, in the middle of the tension bar push it slighty and keep it pushed in whilst you wind, this releases the tension whilst you change the destination. I found that it worked for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.