• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Yellow DMU

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisM

On friday i saw from a passing train a yellow 2 car DMU (class 101?) between Fareham and Swanwick,anyone know where it was going/doing and what unit it was?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jonb

Established Member
The unit is a Network Rail Test Unit testing various track, etc.

ChrisM

Thanks,never seen that one before.
Any idea where it had been or going?

ChrisM

1288gaje said:

Very similar,didn't really get a good look.

TheSlash said:
Yeah it came past me later when i was at Wallers Ash goods loop, near Micheldever, about 14:00
Was heading towards Southampton about 12:45 so sounds about right.

Thanks all.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Coxster said:
I've also seen a yellow Class 150/1 version.

I managed to see that a total of *three* times yesterday.
Does anyone know if I am right in assuming that it was purpose-built, rather than a converted 150?

joy54.gen

The 150 delayed me for about 15 mins while doing the 47s on the Rhymney Branch as it got delayed on the single track bit past Bargoed. Although we made all the time up by only stopping at Ystrad Mynach, Caerphilly and Cardiff Queen Street on the return journey.

TheSlash

Established Member
Well i haven't quite figured out which trains do what tests yet, but certain trains do tests where the results can be so bad the onboard team has a direct to the signaller controlling the line they are examining, to impose an emergency closure of that line if a test is failed badly {there are pre defined limits for results}
2 examples of trains are the Twist train and the ultrasonic, the ultrasonic runs along looking for cracked rails and i'll explain the twist train tomorrow {unless Bmth-Pway wants to}

Status
Not open for further replies.