• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Yellow front ends on new stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

D365

Veteran Member
Don't seem to hear of hordes of Swiss track workers being bowled over by these locos....

Swiss track workers don't exist, the railways are maintained by magical fairies :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Marklund

I get all the views from rail staff, but nothing's now likely to change no matter how many times objections get posted. RSSB have made their decision, following a consultation, so let's move on eh?

RSSB Consultaion! That's a joke! :D

The RSSB have been found out for who pays them.
They are not independent, and have let through some very poor changes to the Rule Book for track worker safety. Hello, SWL, I'm looking at you.

This just adds to it.
Safe Work Packs are still allowed for working with a lookout only. There's no way in hell I'd be working lookout only with stock without yellow warning panels on the route.

cj_1985

I don't see why we sholuldn't have yellow ends.
Not just for safety concerns... but for the obvious aesthetic reasons.

The Italians have the, (I assume) compulsory, red bar on the cab fronts of units and locos.

Even if they don't want cab ends to be yellow, there are better alternatives than black.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I don't see why we sholuldn't have yellow ends.
Not just for safety concerns... but for the obvious aesthetic reasons.

The Italians have the, (I assume) compulsory, red bar on the cab fronts of units and locos.

Even if they don't want cab ends to be yellow, there are better alternatives than black.

And as mentioned above DB are mostly red with the white "wings" which are reflective. Though DB and SBB headlights are still only really marker lights - some still have very weak incandescent bulbs mounted vertically.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
RSSB Consultaion! That's a joke! :D

The RSSB have been found out for who pays them.
They are not independent, and have let through some very poor changes to the Rule Book for track worker safety.

Again, crazy RSSB conspiracy theories have been mentioned often. If there was any evidence wouldn't your union have had it sorted by now?

Why repeat them here every time, it isn't going to do anything else.

cj_1985

There aren't any aesthetic reasons - it's just familiarity borne out of necessity.

maybe. but can you imagine a pendo without the yellow
the 170s practically were designed with the yellow panel pre defined

LunchSociety

There aren't any aesthetic reasons - it's just familiarity borne out of necessity.

I think its disingenuous to suggest there aren't any aesthetic reasons for a yellow end - some stock may look better with it! But for the most part you are absolutely spot on!

AM9

Veteran Member

I would agree with familiarity, but that is because forward lighting on trains made it necessary to supplement its inadequate visibility under daylight conditions.
Things have moved on now with far better visibility from lights that are more reliable and more energy efficient being fitted to all new rolling stock, - meaning that the necessity has gone. This has allowed the unwanted 'aesthetic' of dirty yellow panels carrying abstract pointillism images made from black squashed insects and their blood to be removed from the liveries of trains.
All those having difficulty in appreciating the freedom from the yellow panel will get used to it much quicker than may be thought.

Goldfish62

Established Member
And as mentioned above DB are mostly red with the white "wings" which are reflective. Though DB and SBB headlights are still only really marker lights - some still have very weak incandescent bulbs mounted vertically.

Given that the DB white "wings" are not actually reflective and only appear on the front of locomotives, not multiple units or driving cars, I conclude that they are purely a livery embellishment.

Goldfish62

Established Member
All those having difficulty in appreciating the freedom from the yellow panel will get used to it much quicker than may be thought.

Yes, and in a few years time not a single train operating out of Liverpool Street will have a yellow front.

Status
Not open for further replies.