• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Yellow HST on the WCML

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It will have been Network Rail's (not sure what NW means?) New Measurement Train (NMT) which is based on an HST.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It's a test train so almost certainly just carrying out some tests so the only people on board would be NR personnel. Whilst it does have some passenger facilities (such as a conference room) those are by my understanding very rarely used and only by people invited by NR for specific reasons (normally to show off to prospective suppliers I believe) not for normal passengers as it isn't passenger rolling stock any more.

Yew

Established Member
The NMT doesnt carry passengers, it is a departmental train, so all people on it will be staff. However I suppose its possible that some of the staff on there could not be working, and being transported to a site/depot to do work?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Very, very unlikely. It will almost certainly be a measurment train until it is taken out of service; in fact, I would wager that it'll be the last HST running other than those that end up in preservation- unless a lab/measurement train gets tacked on to the order for the "hybrid" IEPs.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
mechanically the power cars have not been fiddled with to much. There have been some cosmetic exterior changes ( camera, light clusters) but there is nothing to stop the power cars going back into TOC service.

The trailers however...............

Last edited:

Hydro

Established Member
However I suppose its possible that some of the staff on there could not be working, and being transported to a site/depot to do work?

Everyone on there will be crew, unless they are sanctioned visitors or technical staff. Sometimes crew travel "pass" if the train is transit (not undertaking test work, like ECS is to a passenger train). The facilities on board are normally used for presentation and "hospitality", using the train as a real time demonstration of what test trains do.

I'd add to jopsuk's wager; it'll more than likely be the last HST running in any sort of mainline service. It won't see passenger service again, more than likely.

The trailers have really only been modified in that the interiors have been completely stripped and refitted (except for Development Vehicle, that has a pantograph-a-motron). The power cars are standard, save for camera equipment, HS1 compliant cyclops headlight and a speedo marked additionally in kph. All electrical systems are the same, a GC power car has found it's way onto the NMT IIRC with no problems. Previous NMT power cars have been handed back into mainline passenger service (082? I believe was one).

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
All electrical systems are the same, a GC power car has found it's way onto the NMT IIRC with no problems.

Has the reverse every happened with an NMT power car being loaned to a TOC temporarily?

Hydro

Established Member
Has the reverse every happened with an NMT power car being loaned to a TOC temporarily?

I honestly don't know. The rotation of power cars (2 on, 1 in for maintenance) would suggest that there would be no opportunity to do so.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I honestly don't know. The rotation of power cars (2 on, 1 in for maintenance) would suggest that there would be no opportunity to do so.

No I didn't think it'd be likely (especially as most HST operators can probably spare a power car to loan to another operator) but you never know.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Previous NMT power cars have been handed back into mainline passenger service (082? I believe was one).
43089, which was the battery power testbed, and IIRC Network Rail also used 43153 for a bit. Both now in service with First Great Western.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I don't personally recall that it's ever happened.

Phil6219

The NMT is booked to run from Derby to Glasgow on a Tuesday as the 1Q26, it is an "as needed" path so doesn't always run. The return working is not usually the WCML (I believe but it does occasionally run south this way).

Phil 8-)

There has been one occasion of an NMT power car being used in passenger service whilst 'yellow'. This was in 2003 when 43013 had one day as part of the 'Project Rio' fleet for MML, due to low availability of their own power cars. 086 was the other power car on the set that day - I managed Leicester - Picc - Pancras on them :)

A few months after that, there were strong rumours that 43062 was to have a day out on MML, starting on the 0828 ex Leeds. However, due to some farce, this service was eventually cancelled from Leeds without the stock ever making it off Neville Hill :(

Hydro

Established Member
That would have been possible as 2003 was the year the NMT was commissioned, and thus bits and bobs would have been spare more frequently as things were probably all over the shop organisation wise.

Minilad

Established Member
Everyone on there will be crew, unless they are sanctioned visitors or technical staff. Sometimes crew travel "pass" if the train is transit (not undertaking test work, like ECS is to a passenger train). The facilities on board are normally used for presentation and "hospitality", using the train as a real time demonstration of what test trains do.

I'd add to jopsuk's wager; it'll more than likely be the last HST running in any sort of mainline service. It won't see passenger service again, more than likely.

The trailers have really only been modified in that the interiors have been completely stripped and refitted (except for Development Vehicle, that has a pantograph-a-motron). The power cars are standard, save for camera equipment, HS1 compliant cyclops headlight and a speedo marked additionally in kph. All electrical systems are the same, a GC power car has found it's way onto the NMT IIRC with no problems. Previous NMT power cars have been handed back into mainline passenger service (082? I believe was one).

*Cough Cough* Any chance ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.