• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Yellow stations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladder23

Established Member
Hi all - I am hoping someone could enlighten me,

I can remember some stations being a light yellow colour, and very bland, before the days of the big adverts etc on the walls? Today traveling through embankment I noticed some of the metal work on the walls was missing due to maintenance work, and I could see the yellow behind it, this is what reminded me,

Is there any stations with this look still or have they all been modernised?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivinghoe

I think the yellow you are referring to must be the old style yellow tiles that, as you say, you used to see more of around the network. In which case there are still a few around, including Aldgate East on the sub-surface and Manor House through to Bounds Green on the Piccadilly.

Ladder23

Established Member
I think the yellow you are referring to must be the old style yellow tiles that, as you say, you used to see more of around the network. In which case there are still a few around, including Aldgate East on the sub-surface and Manor House through to Bounds Green on the Piccadilly.
Thanks Ivinghoe for your reply I will take a look, I’m on the tube tomorrow so may pass by!

Dent

The tiles you refer to were the standard for the new stations on the 1930s extensions, and a few stations which were refurbished at that time. Most of the stations which ever had those tiles still have them, I don't believe there ever any at Embankment.

Ladder23

Established Member
The tiles you refer to were the standard for the new stations on the 1930s extensions, and a few stations which were refurbished at that time. Most of the stations which ever had those tiles still have them, I don't believe there ever any at Embankment.
Having looked further the tiles are similar to what I had in mind but it’s definitely paint that I had recollection of :)

Sorry I am mistaken it’s not embankment, Knightsbridge I mean. Sorry if I caused any confusion

Dstock7080

Established Member
Having looked further the tiles are similar to what I had in mind but it’s definitely paint that I had recollection of :)

Sorry I am mistaken it’s not embankment, Knightsbridge I mean. Sorry if I caused any confusion!
Knightsbridge was another New Works tiled station, ‘biscuit’ being the described colour.
Paint finishes were rare in stations, exceptions being the roof vault.

Ladder23

Established Member
Passed Warren Street yesterday on the Northern line and that still seems to be the colour in mind! Beautiful station

simple simon

Kings Cross St Pancras Subsurface was like that - until refurbishment ruined it. What is there now is even less attractive than the 'bathroom' installed at many station in very recent years.

Status
Not open for further replies.