• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Yeovil Junction

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Hi all,

Just a quick heads-up that anyone wanting photos of some sort for the box at Yeovil Junction do not now have long to obtain them. I went down and got 40 photos today (no interior ones) from various vantage points thanks to the help of a volunteer of the steam train centre who gave me permission to take photos from the steam centre's parcel of land.

The box at Yeovil Junction closes on 12-Mar-2012 with control passing to Basingstoke ASC thereafter. If you are planning to head to YJ and get pictures of the box (to whatever extent) then you have not got long.

I will put some of the photos from today online at some point: I am trying to find a site that will host them without too much expense but I also don't want adverts with the photos.

HTIOI,
Dave

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Not directly related but today due to engineering works, there are direct trains between London (Waterloo) and Yeovil Pen Mill which I understand is quite a rare event.

Temple Meads

Established Member
You could just attach them to your forum post.

Click on "go advanced" then "manage attachments", click on "choose file" and your pretty much there.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Hi all,

A photographic update from a short visit to Yeovil Junction this afternoon.

The new signals are of the Fibre-optic / LED variety and have been positioned on the support brackets previously occupied by the old signals. Seen here are signals SE4714 (left) and SE4718 (right) as Class 159 no. 159016 approaches from Salisbury before leaving with the 1449hrs departure to Exeter St. Davids:

yvljcn_newsig1.jpg

The signals at the southern (Exeter) end of Yeovil Junction are all single-lens types with no route indicators or the like, as in the case of SE4737 here. One interesting feature here is the smaller signal to the right of the bigger one. This is, in effect, a sort of repeater signal: when the main one is set to green then the smaller one is replaced by a green aspect located to the top right of the main signal. This is presumably for the aid of the driver as I guess if you stopped too close to the signal then the aspect of the bigger signal might not be so easily readable?

yvljcn_se4737.jpg

The ground points indicators have, of course, also been replaced. It seems as if they now have some sort of route indicators above the lights. If they are not route indicators then what else are they for? SE4720 demonstrates the new order here:

yvljcn_se4720.jpg

In the 3rd post of a thread on another forum it was mentioned that the signalbox was to be demolished over the weekend of the 24th / 25th March. Seemingly they haven't got around to it yet as when I visited this afternoon it was still very much intact, at least externally.

yvljcn_newsig2.jpg

Hope this is of interest.
Dave

Last edited:

Tomnick

Established Member
The signals at the southern (Exeter) end of Yeovil Junction are single-aspect types with no route indicators or the like...
Single 'lens' (if you can call them that), but definitely still two- or three-aspect signals!

Status
Not open for further replies.