• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Yesterday's derailment 66017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nutter

Yeah er.. boss.
Yes.
Sorry about this and your not going to beleive it but I went past a signal which I shouldn't have, and a kinda got stuck in the ballast, and I shut a main line down for a whole day. Shall I just get my coat.

Joking aside. It's good to see safety measures work properly to avoid collisions because a DMU against a heavy freight (especially if it was loaded) wouldn't have a chance. Before a read the original post in full i thought it was a broken rail but now a SPAD has been offered as an explanation I think it's most likely.

TheSlash

Established Member
4th 66 in the dirt in 2 weeks. :D
There was the train down the bank thing
Then the 66 at Doncaster
Then the ballast train at Crewe
Then that one

nutter said:
Yeah er.. boss.
Yes.
Sorry about this and your not going to beleive it but I went past a signal which I shouldn't have, and a kinda got stuck in the ballast, and I shut a main line down for a whole day. Shall I just get my coat.

QUOTE]
Glad to see that someones career beind ended causes that much amusement to you. I'm sure he is laughing about it at the moment aswell...

TheSlash

Established Member
Come back down to earth you lot, he won't lose his job over that, it's only a SPAD, it just looks worse because there were catch points involved. I know shunters who are into double figures with their derailment tally.

TheSlash

Established Member
taw valley said:
you relise that if that was a steam specile it could have ben alot worse so why are drivers told dont do that again and then start driving again?
Maybe because a steam engine has H2O in a gas form, pressurised at 250 pounds per square inch, a derailment involving a steam engine at working pressure is more serious.
Modern diesels such as an EWS class 66 use automated fire protection systems that will automatically such down the engine if a problem is detected.
At the end of the day, a 66 has had a disagreement with a set of catch points after a group 5 SPAD. Looking at the picture, it's safe to say the train wasn't travelling at any great speed when it left then track and remained in a near upright position.
I am puzzled as to why the crane was needed though, it's the 3rd or 4th time lately i've seen cranes used to rerail trains where the engine or rolling stock could be rerailed using jacks and abit of dragging

Sprog

Established Member
taw valley said:
you relise that if that was a steam specile it could have ben alot worse so why are drivers told dont do that again and then start driving again?

This statement makes NO sense atall. So your saying the driver should be told to leave just for making one tiny error!? Thats like me telling you to leave school for making one spelling mistake FFS!. I think you need to come into the real world. Everyone makes mistakes. Its lucky this forum has little or no drivers on it, otherwise youdve been bombarded with angry replies.

As for the recory, it looked like that shed was dug in pretty deep Slash - So much so that when i first saw the pics, i thought the trackbed had subsided/gave way! :shock: Also, maybe the crane method is quicker?? as they wanted the line clear ASAP.......?

David

Established Member
Another thing to consider. What caused the SPAD? Was there some sort of brake failure on the loco?

metrocammel

taw valley said:

I agree, the statement doesnt make much sense, both in a literary sense, and content. Though I imagine if a a driver was to commit an error and derail (and damage) a famous steam loco, the "frothing at the mouth" steam buffs would be after him like a lynch mob.....!! Whose consequences would probably worse than anything the authorities could throw at him!!

Status
Not open for further replies.