• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Yet Another Desktop Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coxster

Established Member
desktop6as.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Guinness

Established Member
Steve's HST blends in quite nice as a wallpaper. :)

My Desktop can be viewed here (Dial Up Warning).

I'm using the Kombobulator thingy. Excellent Piece of kit. Many Thanks to who ever wrote about it! :)

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's back <D :lol:

Here's mine: -
DeskTp.gif

Easy Q: What building is that picture of? (I took it)

Gareth Hale

Mojo, I like you'r desktop but Id wish the start menu button stayed on the bottom, its horrible having a big blank space under it. I am not sure on the building's name either.

Dave A

I present for your viewing pleasure, the greatest city in the world...

T

Tom

Gareth, you told them they have XP updates, SO DO I - but I don't install them, why? They make a PC unstable - maybe I should switch to Linux - what do you think?

Anyway...

Guinness

Established Member
tubechallenger said:
Gareth, you told them they have XP updates, SO DO I - but I don't install them, why? They make a PC unstable - maybe I should switch to Linux - what do you think?

During the installation of the new Security Updates my PC crashed twice well trying to install the 2nd Update. After that I just gave up.

I'll have to sample Tux soon....

Tom B

Established Member
Coxster said:
Cockfosters said:
Eeeek! What screen res is that?!?!?
1280*960 with super-enlarged icons :shock:

Urgh. What use are the icons stupidly large?

For me, one machine has a photo of St Pauls, the other just the default KDE.

Gareth Hale

I personally think the XP Updates make XP more safer, Windows XP with No SP is not even supported by MS, SP1 is not been supported as of 2007, TC, I thought sombody with as much skills on computers (maybe more than me) would understand how vital updates are?)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm currently using this http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=123021 as my wallpaper. Top'n'tail 37s, trees, a viaduct, what more could you want? Also the effect on the picture almost makes it look like a painting, I'm not sure how they did it, but it just looks nice as wallpaper to me.

There are some excellent wallpaper images here: http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/freefun/wallpaper/ (non-rail related), going right up to my resolution of 1280 x 1024, and are BMPs for great quality. (Use the JPEG's if you're on dial-up!)

T

Tom

Gareth Hale said:
I personally think the XP Updates make XP more safer, Windows XP with No SP is not even supported by MS, SP1 is not been supported as of 2007, TC, I thought sombody with as much skills on computers (maybe more than me) would understand how vital updates are?)
I probably do have more skills than you. The point is - where the skills lessen is your love of updating Windows, my problem with Windows, is, to put it frankly, it sucks.

Linux (oh no I said a bad word in front of Gareth!) is far better, but unfortunately I cannot use it as of yet due to BVE compatibility is not yet complete (well, my port anyway), and nor is MSTS.

I have SP2, it came pre-installed with this PC, will I install any updates? No. I am secure enough as it is with my custom updates I make myself.

Coxster

Established Member
tubechallenger said:
Gareth Hale said:
I probably do have more skills than you. The point is - where the skills lessen is your love of updating Windows, my problem with Windows, is, to put it frankly, it sucks.

Linux (oh no I said a bad word in front of Gareth!) is far better, but unfortunately I cannot use it as of yet due to BVE compatibility is not yet complete (well, my port anyway), and nor is MSTS.

I have SP2, it came pre-installed with this PC, will I install any updates? No. I am secure enough as it is with my custom updates I make myself.

If you don't like Microsoft, why are you using Microsoft Train Simulator?

T

Tom

Nowhere in my post did I say I didn't like Microsoft, Microsoft is OK, the software is bad, remember MSTS was made by Kuju, not MS.

Tom B

Established Member
Many people wouldn't use MS if they had a choice. I, for one, wouldn't. Fact is though I'm tied over some apps - BVE primarily, I could live without most of the rest. It is also impossible for me to do any schoolwork from home without using MS Windows and IE - something which I am most displeased about to say the least. You should not tie an essential system to ONE supplier!

A sensible user with no Windows updates is much safer than a stupid user with every update there is. Fact is, no update can stop people from installing viruses and spyware by opening blatently obvious emails.

The best way to accelerate a Windows machine, BTW, is at 9.81m.s^-2 :lol:.

T

Tom

Good news chaps, a payware Linux program called cedega is fully compatible with BVE, played with it today! :D

Plus - if you install SwiftShader when it comes out (cedega addon) - MSTS will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.