• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Yet another LM 350 Repainted by Yobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BestWestern

Established Member
Security has improved at lots of depots these days - the majority of depots and carriage sidings are now fenced off, have CCTV cameras and are floodlit at light.

Well that may be so, but clearly it isn't all up to the job as we still see such widespread problems :| CCTV in particular is an issue, simply having a camera on top of a pole isn't a deterrant any more if these boneheads know full well that there isn't anybody on the other end monitoring it. Grainy recorded footage of a few herberts in hoodies and masks won't generally lead to any prosecutions. The only way any of this lot ever seem to get caught out is when the BTP set up stings, which are time consuming and pricey. If TOCs deployed proper pro-active security staff at thier locations, they'd find it much easier to nobble these people and eventually have far fewer problems.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I take it nobody has seen the state of 66019 with the C word sprayed over the front and sides, its in service like that still, which is a bit out of order, seen it 3 times this week like that! vid below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdIXd7m9PLk

If it is seriously running around with that daubed all over it I'm suprised DB haven't got in trouble tbh, that's very offensive and clearly the operator's responsibility to clean it off. If you walked around town with that on your t-shirt I'd imagine you'd be having a word with a PC or two! DB can't be that desperate for serivceable 66's surely, they're sending half of them abroad these days!

4SRKT

Established Member
I take it nobody has seen the state of 66019 with the C word sprayed over the front and sides, its in service like that still, which is a bit out of order, seen it 3 times this week like that!

Colas?

Smudger105e

Well that may be so, but clearly it isn't all up to the job as we still see such widespread problems :| CCTV in particular is an issue, simply having a camera on top of a pole isn't a deterrant any more if these boneheads know full well that there isn't anybody on the other end monitoring it. Grainy recorded footage of a few herberts in hoodies and masks won't generally lead to any prosecutions. The only way any of this lot ever seem to get caught out is when the BTP set up stings, which are time consuming and pricey. If TOCs deployed proper pro-active security staff at thier locations, they'd find it much easier to nobble these people and eventually have far fewer problems.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

If it is seriously running around with that daubed all over it I'm suprised DB haven't got in trouble tbh, that's very offensive and clearly the operator's responsibility to clean it off. If you walked around town with that on your t-shirt I'd imagine you'd be having a word with a PC or two! DB can't be that desperate for serivceable 66's surely, they're sending half of them abroad these days!

66019 is preassigned into Margam for cleaning, and is en-route there now (6X75 ex-Dee March), although was assigend to arrive at 21:00 last night.

The policy of most TOCs and FOCs is to remove the graffiti as soon as possible, in order that the tags etc are not displayed for days, as this is what the 'artists' want

BestWestern

Established Member
66019 is preassigned into Margam for cleaning, and is en-route there now (6X75 ex-Dee March), although was assigend to arrive at 21:00 last night.

The policy of most TOCs and FOCs is to remove the graffiti as soon as possible, in order that the tags etc are not displayed for days, as this is what the 'artists' want

Indeed, but in the case of something which is so very offensive, one would hope that the operator concerned would at the very least cover it up, rather than allow the vehicle concerned to continue to appear 'in public' in that state. After all, an accusation could reasonably be made that DB are in fact guilty of outraging public decency when that loco trundles through a busy station. Obviously cleaning can't be instant, but it isn't beyond possibility to spray over it, or even obscure it with some hazard tape or somesuch! I couldn't imagine a shiny SWT unit pulling up to the blocks at Waterloo full of city commuter types with C*** scrawled all over the front of it!

Hydro

Established Member
I couldn't imagine a shiny SWT unit pulling up to the blocks at Waterloo full of city commuter types with C*** scrawled all over the front of it!

Especially not when they're clearly all inside it!

(JOKE)

Smudger105e

Indeed, but in the case of something which is so very offensive, one would hope that the operator concerned would at the very least cover it up, rather than allow the vehicle concerned to continue to appear 'in public' in that state. After all, an accusation could reasonably be made that DB are in fact guilty of outraging public decency when that loco trundles through a busy station. Obviously cleaning can't be instant, but it isn't beyond possibility to spray over it, or even obscure it with some hazard tape or somesuch! I couldn't imagine a shiny SWT unit pulling up to the blocks at Waterloo full of city commuter types with C*** scrawled all over the front of it!

I agree to a point. The 'fault' was logged with DBS at 12:00 yesterday, so it has so far been only 24 hours. Unlike most TOCs, the FOCs do not have maintenance staffs at one (or both) ends of their regular trip. This loco has done a trip to Llanwern and is now going to Margam from Dee Marsh, where it will get sorted. When I worked on the Southern, the units often ran from Depot to London, berth, London to Depot. Those that worked shuttle services also berthed at Depots overnight. Not a luxury the FOCs have, or can afford.

Don't suggest that it could have been dealt with at Llanwern or Dee Marsh either, because there would be difficulties complying with safety regulations (Working at Heights etc) gaining access to anything that is any distance up the bodyside. As you all know, safety is number one.

DBS use aerosol paint removers for this sort of graffiti usually, and it needs spraying on, agitating, spraying again and washing off. Therefore at least a hosepipe is required, or preferrably a pressure washer.

Paint should be removed the sooner the better too, as the paint remains soft just after spraying, if it's left several days, the paint leaves an outline. I tried to clean a 67 off recently that had been tagged on one nose end (it had worked the VSOE and there had been complaints) and the paint would not come off completely. In the end the loco had the nose end repainted (may have been 67019?)

Bonemaster

Perhaps they could designate one 'graffiti train' where graffiti artists could legitimately repaint the unit, perhaps give new artists a chance every few weeks so more can be involved. There seems to be evidence to suggest that where legalised graffiti is allowed, illegal attacks fall because the culprits have respect for the art and the company involved. Not exactly a perfect solution, but just a thought anyway!

You mean like this one

5039589418_9809603776.jpg

Not my pic but remember seeing it at Coventry Railway Centre where they have let modern artists decorate it

fgwrich

Established Member

class377man

Perhaps LUL Could sacrifice some of their C Stock to do a simular thing in say east london? Might then reduce the amount of idiotic and dangerous tresspassing all for their ' tagging ' then?!

I think ideas such as this would help reduce the more "artistic" grafitti but for the morons who just spray their "names" on things the whole point is to "tag" the most difficult or dangerous place possible.

BestWestern

Established Member
Those tube offices are superb! I love the fully intact driving cab 'smoking room', very interesting! How is it that a tube train cab is so much more fascinating than a Sprinter?!! :(

derekl29

The unit was 350127. I travelled on it on Wednesday morning, it operated from Northampton to Euston passing through Milton Keynes at 0717.
The "new livery" had fully covered 2 out of the 4 carriages on one side.
Saw it parked at Bletchley on Wednesday evening, but havent seen it since

BestWestern

Established Member
The unit was 350127. I travelled on it on Wednesday morning, it operated from Northampton to Euston passing through Milton Keynes at 0717.
The "new livery" had fully covered 2 out of the 4 carriages on one side.
Saw it parked at Bletchley on Wednesday evening, but havent seen it since

It entered service like that?

sonorguy

I agree with the others here who've mentioned security; it is known and accepted that trains will always be targets for these morons, so why on earth dont TOCs take more care of their assets?! Now matter how remote or exposed a stabling location might be - athough generally this sort of stuff happens in fairly busy depot locations! - there is absolutely no excuse for not having a couple of security chaps (plus dogs!) keeping an eye on some CCTV, and a decent high security fence. The unfortunate fact appears to be that some operators prefer to spend little and hope for the best, at which point it becomes difficult to muster a great deal of sympathy :|

There's one very major reason. Clearly cost is the issue. It'll cost less just to clean it when it happens rather than pay for the 4 or 5 staff (once you factor in shifts, annual leave, etc and facilities and training for them) you'd need at each location to stop it happening.

Rwhunited

To be perfectly honest, I don't find it THAT bad, its better than all these "tags" also green and white livery, it gives it a bit more of taste. I don't personally agree with it, but some people blow it out of proportion. Going through Slade Green depot on SouhtEastern I enjoy looking at some of them with this sort of spraying on.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Strung up? Locked up? Keys thrown away? Gulags? Celebrating some of the more vile aspects of the Soviet Union? What a profoundly illiberal bunch many of you are.

Yes, that was a bit harsh. I think the keys should be kept just in case we change our mind in 50-60 years. :D

Ah, So thats NX's reason for painting their trains white...Perhaps is a blank canvas and their deliberately waiting for someone to come along a design / paint them a catchy new livery! :lol:

I can remember when the trains into Liverpool Street would regularly turn up covered in all sorts of hideous colours, clearly done on the cheap by people who should have been locked up.

Thankfully, one is a thing of the past now.

Last edited:

MCR247

Established Member
321s aren't signed to Birmingham, so you could encounter some problems diagramming wise(?)

321s aren't signed to Birmingham, so you could encounter some problems diagramming wise(?)

They could use them on tring/northampton terminators? anyway i thought they were occasionally used on b'ham international to walsall services?

MCR247

Established Member
They could use them on tring/northampton terminators? anyway i thought they were occasionally used on b'ham international to walsall services?

Tring is on the same diagram as Birmingham trains.

Crossover

Established Member

I don't think I have ever seen a 321 in Walsall in the time I have been in the Midlands. It is my understanding that they are no longer cleared for much further north than Northampton (possibly Rugby?) so they won't get out round Walsall now either. As has been mentioned before the units tend to do a mix of diagrams each day so unless they did a set swap, it would be unlikely they could run them on many diagrams.

Does anyone know actually, do the 321's now see much use outside of the St Albans line?

Pumbaa

Established Member
321s aren't allowed beyond Rugby now. There are 3 sets of 321 in use any one day (when they work). One set does the Abbey line all day, the other 2 are joined up and do a Bletchley - Northampton empty move, Northampton - Euston calling most shacks arriving Euston at just after 8am, empty to Camden Road, then work the 1824 (I think) back to MK, calling most shacks, then empty to Bletchley.

Bloody waste, get rid of all of them!

And yes, the LM diagrams are all interchanged now, the only fixed ones are the Crewe diagrams and even they don't work half the time. The set off Crewe (meant to be a /1) arrive into P11 at xx49, sits for 57 mins before going back out again. Invariably it all goes wrong.

Crossover

Established Member
321s aren't allowed beyond Rugby now. There are 3 sets of 321 in use any one day (when they work). One set does the Abbey line all day, the other 2 are joined up and do a Bletchley - Northampton empty move, Northampton - Euston calling most shacks arriving Euston at just after 8am, empty to Camden Road, then work the 1824 (I think) back to MK, calling most shacks, then empty to Bletchley.

Bloody waste, get rid of all of them!

And yes, the LM diagrams are all interchanged now, the only fixed ones are the Crewe diagrams and even they don't work half the time. The set off Crewe (meant to be a /1) arrive into P11 at xx49, sits for 57 mins before going back out again. Invariably it all goes wrong.

Have to say that does sound like a bit of a waste! Are 350's cleared for the St Albans Abbey line?

I think they do occasionally do set swaps - I was told that the other day one of the southbounds through the Trent Valley was a /2 but when it returned later in the day, it had morphed into a /1

Ibex

350's are not cleared to work the St Albans Abbey line.

350 127 has been back in service for a few days now with very colourful bogies and the top along where the cant line is is still a little bit colourful. They've done a bloody good job of cleaning it otherwise.

Wigan,United Kingdon and Kingswood Nsw, Australia
I spent a bit of time waiting for trains at Stafford and Euston on Thursday and Monday and London Midland do seem to have a very damaged livery alot of the carriages have a Line at the top where the graffiti has been removed a fair few of the /1's have etched windows and most of the /1's also have stains on the black part of the livery from graffiti removal but all things considered not bad for a toc that serves London.

Status
Not open for further replies.