• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Yet another VT 1st class Q...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dk1

Veteran Member
Ok i know there have been dozens of questions reguarding first class service on the WCML but heres another.

On Royal Wedding day (Friday 29th April for anyone whos been to a different planet) Virgin are running a full VHF timetable with full 1st class catering. Upgrades can be made on this day on the train for just £25 :D.

If i travel on the 16.30 Euston to Glasgow would it be permitted to not have the meal until after Preston? Seems a bit early to eat & would rather have a few drinks first.

Im also thinking that with the wedding being sealed with a kiss & a fly past by around 14.00 will trains at this time be really busy. If thats the case i may get the 13.30 but suppose the meal service will be from the lunch menu on this train.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ApAp

Ok i know there have been dozens of questions reguarding first class service on the WCML but heres another.

On Royal Wedding day (Friday 29th April for anyone whos been to a different planet) Virgin are running a full VHF timetable with full 1st class catering. Upgrades can be made on this day on the train for just £25 :D.

If i travel on the 16.30 Euston to Glasgow would it be permitted to not have the meal until after Preston? Seems a bit early to eat & would rather have a few drinks first.

Im also thinking that with the wedding being sealed with a kiss & a fly past by around 14.00 will trains at this time be really busy. If thats the case i may get the 13.30 but suppose the meal service will be from the lunch menu on this train.

If you use twitter then tweet @VirginTrains

In my experience the service is like business class on most airlines, i.e. the food comes round on trolleys and is served to everyone as part of the service round rather than being prepared on demand.

On board it doesn't hurt to ask but expect to eat when everyone else is.

HST Power

Established Member
Last time I went with Virgin (in March) the food came around on the trolleys. You should be able to ask for things to drink in between.

dk1

Veteran Member
If you use twitter then tweet @VirginTrains

In my experience the service is like business class on most airlines, i.e. the food comes round on trolleys and is served to everyone as part of the service round rather than being prepared on demand.

On board it doesn't hurt to ask but expect to eat when everyone else is.

Yeah but un-like an airline passengers board at other stations. In the case of the 16.30 just Preston.

Mr Spock

The crew on the trains generally change at Preston and a full service should be made again after there.

Mr Spock

It is possible.

I know someone who went up on Mondayfrom Rugby and got a full breakfast on leaving Rugby and another (lighter) breakfast after Preston.

ApAp

In my experience on the Glasgow runs, the second meal service is indeed lighter. Presumably depends on time of day though.

bengolding

On the 16:30, the Evening Meal is only served up until Preston, with the cold option after that. As it's served on a trolley, you can't opt to have it later. Drinks should come round twice. I'd reserve a seat (even in First) beforehand for the 29th. Try and avoid coach G as that will probably be declassified, as was the case on Monday's 11:30 and most probably many evening services out of Euston on the 29th.

dk1

Veteran Member
This is such a difficult day to guess what trains will & wont be busy. Im booked in a hotel near East Kilbride so think i will opt for the 13.30. That way i should miss any crowds heading out of London after the big day & arrive in Glasgow Central around 18.00. Will also be nice to enjoy a sherbet or three whilst whizzing through the Lune Gorge.

krisk

How did you go on?

I usually only work Manchester - London but it should be 2 service provisions on Euston - Glasgow, maybe Breakfast/Light Bites or there may be some level of hot food provided in the daytime on these routes. If you end up on a service that is light bites from Preston thru to Scotland then the menu is now 2 sandwich options or a salad/quiche/tart as well as fresh fruit, cakes and crisps too.

dk1

Veteran Member
How did you go on?

I usually only work Manchester - London but it should be 2 service provisions on Euston - Glasgow, maybe Breakfast/Light Bites or there may be some level of hot food provided in the daytime on these routes. If you end up on a service that is light bites from Preston thru to Scotland then the menu is now 2 sandwich options or a salad/quiche/tart as well as fresh fruit, cakes and crisps too.

Hello mate, sorry for the delay in getting back to you but both Holiday Inn & East Coast (std class) charge for wifi so didnt bother.

Excellent trip North with you guys yesterday. Everyone buzzing with the good mood of the Royal wedding. Got countless <:D top-ups of the sparkling stuff & coffee to keep me awake!! Sarnies, snacks & a lovely touch with the royal wedding cake. After Preston we got offered the hot food but just had more cake as not that hungry & chose to go out for a meal later. The booze kept flowing though. All in all a great journey with a lovely crew & not too busy.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
PS & only 3 minutes late due to a freight around Shap :D.
PPS Must get a decent apps phone :roll:

Last edited:

enterprise

Hello mate, sorry for the delay in getting back to you but both Holiday Inn & East Coast (std class) charge for wifi so didnt bother.
:

I stopped at the Holiday Inn Express in Glasgow 2 weeks ago and the wi-fi was free there.

route101

Established Member

Excellent trip North with you guys yesterday. Everyone buzzing with the good mood of the Royal wedding. Got countless <:D top-ups of the sparkling stuff & coffee to keep me awake!! Sarnies, snacks & a lovely touch with the royal wedding cake. After Preston we got offered the hot food but just had more cake as not that hungry & chose to go out for a meal later. The booze kept flowing though. All in all a great journey with a lovely crew & not too busy.
PS & only 3 minutes late due to a freight around Shap :D.
PPS Must get a decent apps phone :roll:

Good to hear ! Where you staying at the Holiday Inn in East Kilbride ? Thats just down the road from me.

dk1

Veteran Member
Good to hear ! Where you staying at the Holiday Inn in East Kilbride ? Thats just down the road from me.

Yeah, very nice. Caught the '66' from Busby station.
I stopped at the Holiday Inn Express in Glasgow 2 weeks ago and the wi-fi was free there.

Was from £4 per hour to at tenner daily. Quick swim & brekky & i was out of there by 08.45 so didnt waste me dosh.

Status
Not open for further replies.