• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

York-Chelmsford Advance: route options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

toffeedanish

I have an EC Advance ticket from York to Chelmsford, Route "Peterborough & EC", Validity "Booked train only". I have a seat reservation on the 1001 from York to Stevenage. My printable itinerary is York-Stevenage-Hertford North-(walk)-Hertford East-Cheshunt-Stratford-Chelmsford. There is no symbol allowing cross-London transfer by Underground.

My connection at Stevenage is 4 minutes. Trains to Hertford North are hourly. In the event of my missing this connection, and not being fussed about overall journey time but not wishing to spend an hour not moving, would I have options other than waiting for the next train via this route? Can I travel via London on a non-bookable service? Or via Highbury & Islington for example?

Thank you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If the train is running late, ask the on-board staff for advice. Chances are they'll let you stay on to King's Cross. I'd be surprised if they didn't.

The journey can be made avoiding Underground by changing at King's Cross, Harringay [[stn]HGY[/stn]] - Harringay Green Lanes [[stn]HRY[/stn]] - Stratford, and though that is time consuming would get you back on time I think. But if I was in this position and having been allowed travel to King's Cross, I'd use Oyster PAYG to get to Stratford (change Mile End if you want cross-platform interchange, or Liverpool St for speed).

The walk is only 6 minutes from Harringay to Harringay Green Lanes, this is much shorter than the walk through Hertford.

gnolife

Established Member
If the train is running late, ask the on-board staff for advice. Chances are they'll let you stay on to King's Cross. I'd be surprised if they didn't.

The journey can be made avoiding Underground by changing at King's Cross, Harringay [[stn]HGY[/stn]] - Harringay Green Lanes [[stn]HRY[/stn]] - Stratford, and though that is time consuming would get you back on time I think. But if I was in this position and having been allowed travel to King's Cross, I'd use Oyster PAYG to get to Stratford (change Mile End if you want cross-platform interchange, or Liverpool St for speed).

The walk is only 6 minutes from Harringay to Harringay Green Lanes, this is much shorter than the walk through Hertford.

Wouldn't you also have a change at Gospel Oak, as HRY is on the Gospel Oak and Barking line?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Wouldn't you also have a change at Gospel Oak, as HRY is on the Gospel Oak and Barking line?
Yes, that's true.

What I'd do is ask permission to stay on to KGX and just use Oyster PAYG for King's Cross - Stratford, it would be a lot less faffing about.

While I think permission to stay on to KGX is likely to be granted, I wouldn't push it by trying to get travel on LU.

I know someone who had a bike and asked to stay on to KGX on the basis that he'd make his own way to Stratford, and permission was given. He cycled to Liverpool St.

The other thing they could do is let you get off at Peterborough and take a train from Peterborough to Ipswich. That, of course, assumes the delay occurs before Peterborough though.

34D

Established Member
Agree that Harringay is a reasonably nice walk in terms of time.

What I would possibly do is change at Stevenage, get that train to Highbury (either the booked one, or an FCC fast to Finsbury Park then change) then from Highbury to Stratford on LO and thence to Chelmsford.

Status
Not open for further replies.