• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

York - Kings Cross Quick question on tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I need to go from York to London. I dont know if i will have to travel Friday or Sunday evening or the exact time of travel

Is it possible to buy one single ticket with validity for, say, 2 or 3 days, to cover my needs?

I dont want to buy two tickets if i cna avoid it!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Will you need to buy the tickets before you travel? If not just buy them on the day, then it doesn't matter if you change from the Friday to Sunday.

If you are buying on the day then the cheapest will no doubt be a Grand Central service, if the times match up.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Will you need to buy the tickets before you travel? If not just buy them on the day, then it doesn't matter if you change from the Friday to Sunday.

If you are buying on the day then the cheapest will no doubt be a Grand Central service, if the times match up.

I need to book them in advance for reasons i dont really want to go into ;)

Established Member
Anytime single tickets can be used within two days of the date shown on the ticket, but a SOS York - London would be £124.50.

sonic2009

Established Member
Would it not just be easier to purchase the ticket on the day of travel?

You mention you wish to travel to London. Are you heading on to Milton Keynes?

If you were to catch a service from York that stopped at Retford, Newark & Peterborough this will save you some money, another option is to catch a service to Doncaster and if there is a Hull Trains service you can save money by splitting at Doncaster and taking advantage of Hull Trains only fares between Doncaster and London.

Also using Grand Central will cost you £75.00 single between York and London

Cheapest walk up ticket :

Super Off Peak Single York to London Kings Cross Any Permitted £93.10

Established Member
Have to be careful as Off Peak and Super Off Peak tickets are only valid for travel on the date on the ticket.

sonic2009

Established Member
Have to be careful as Off Peak and Super Off Peak tickets are only valid for travel on the date on the ticket.

I was in the middle of writing the post before the OP said he needs to buy them in advance.

34D

Established Member
I need to book them in advance for reasons i dont really want to go into ;)

Obviously we won't comment on your personal reasons you don't want to go into, but do appreciate that this will cost over £30 than buying on the day.

You may wish to consider whether 'personal reasons' is sufficient to waste £30?

island

Veteran Member
Anytime single tickets can be used within two days of the date shown on the ticket, but a SOS York - London would be £124.50.

And that isn't any use for travel Friday or Sunday, as an SOS dated Friday is valid on Friday and Saturday only. Not Sunday. [HEX singles excepted.]

tony_mac

Established Member
You could buy a super-off-peak return from London, and don't bother using the outward (assuming that you do only need a single).

But if you could decide the day before, it would save £45.
Or buy single super-off-peak tickets for both days in advance, and claim a refund on the unused ticket (assuming that they can be refunded, minus the admin fee)

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
If you really need flexibility over two or three days then can I recommend a London Terminals - York Route Any Permitted Super Off-Peak Return for £94.10 dated for the day before? This is only £1 more expensive than the Super Off-Peak Single bought on the day and you can simply discard the outward portion.

(Of course, this is much more expensive than purchasing the Super Off-Peak Single online however this does not offer the flexibility the OP requires.)

Established Member
And that isn't any use for travel Friday or Sunday, as an SOS dated Friday is valid on Friday and Saturday only. Not Sunday. [HEX singles excepted.]

How is it not any use for travel on the Friday?

island

Veteran Member
I mean that it won't be valid to hold just that ticket to give him the option to travel on either Friday or Sunday. Of course it would be valid on Friday.

cuccir

Established Member
You could consider forking out for a Grand Central carnet ticket. They're valid from any station to/from Kings Cross, so if you think you might do 10 trips with Grand Central up the ECML over the next sixth months then it could be a good option. They are undated, so you could use them any day. I don't know if they do next-day recorded delivery for them but if they do and you order early tomorrow, this could work out?

Edit- Note - they are only valid for 6 months, so it would have to be a journey that you'd do quite a lot.

Established Member
I mean that it won't be valid to hold just that ticket to give him the option to travel on either Friday or Sunday. Of course it would be valid on Friday.

I was wondering if I was missing something there!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
cheers guys, thanks for the advice - The job is carrying on now anyway so i will just buy one on GC on Sunday night

sonic2009

Established Member
cheers guys, thanks for the advice - The job is carrying on now anyway so i will just buy one on GC on Sunday night

If you book online, use East Coast and book the web only fare of a Super Off Peak single ANY PERMITTED for £46.55.

Cheaper than Grand Central and you can still use them :)

Status
Not open for further replies.