• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

York - London Grand Central advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel78

Hi,

I'm going to York overnight from London on 19th-20th October. I already have the ticket for the outward leg (East Coast advance).

Coming back I can see that Grand Central have advance tickets available at £13.60 for the 19.01 service. The time is about right, the fare great. Only trouble is that is the last Grand Central train that day. I was wondering what the procedure would be if that train was cancelled? My understanding is that you're normally entitled to catch the next service from that TOC, would there be an arrangement where I can catch an East Coast service instead?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
GC should arrange for you to travel on the next East Coast service so if it were to be cancelled I'd try and find some GC staff or failing that speak to people at the help point.

34D

Established Member
GC should arrange for you to travel on the next East Coast service so if it were to be cancelled I'd try and find some GC staff or failing that speak to people at the help point.

Its better than 'should'

To quote from NRCOC:

43. Help from Train Companies if you are stranded
If disruption caused by circumstances within the control of a Train Company or a Rail Service Company leaves you stranded before you have reached your destination and the Train Company whose trains you are entitled to use is unable to get you to that destination by other means, any Train Company which is in a position to help will, if it reasonably can, either arrange to get you to that destination, or provide overnight accommodation for you.
44. Circumstances that are within a Train Company’s control
For the purposes of Conditions 42 and 43, circumstances that are within a Train Company’s control include the negligent or wilful acts or omission of its, or a Rail Service Company’s, staff or agents.
45. Circumstances that are not within a Train Company’s control
For the purposes of Conditions 42 and 43, circumstances that are not within a Train Company’s control include:
(a) acts or threats of vandalism or terrorism;
(b) suicides or accidents involving trespassers;
(c) gas leaks or fres in lineside buildings not caused by a Train Company or a Rail Service Company or any of their employees or agents;
(d) line closures at the request of the police or emergency services;
(e) exceptionally severe weather conditions;
(f) industrial action by a Train Company’s, or Rail Service Company’s, staff or agents or by any other person;
(g) riots or civil commotion; and
(h) fre, mechanical or electrical failure or a defect (except where this is caused by a Train Company or Rail Service Company or their employees or agents, or as a result of the condition of a Train Company’s trains).

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Its better than 'should'

In theory yes, but I've heard of at least one passenger who in similar circumstances was unable to find any sign of GC staff to give them authority to travel on an EC service and were left to rely on the kindness of an EC guard (for the OP: this was some time ago and I've not heard of anything like it recently so don't worry :)). Hence my use of the word 'should'.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There will be other passengers around so even if there was no-one from GC (which is unlikely!) you'd all be in the same boat and York station are pretty good too. I am confident there won't be any issues. It's also been a long time since I saw a York <> Sunderland train cancelled.

wellhouse

It was a while ago now, but when my GC service from Kings Cross was cancelled, GC staff turned up at the queue and issued replacement tickets valid on East Coast (in my case, an Anytime Single replacing an Advance) and I was able to catch the EC service that departed slightly earlier than the GC was due to leave.

Established Member
There used to be someone from GC at York for all services, but one of these went over to East Coast, so not sure if they replaced her or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.