• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

York - London return

Status
Not open for further replies.

bennorthyork

I have an advance return York - London for 13 July out on the 06.58 and returning on the 17.00. Outward cost £95 and return £111. It was paid for by work. It's now of no use to work as the reason for travelling to London has been cancelled. So I see myself having a ticket "potentially" worth £206 but it could be worth nothing. I don't have any other journey's to London needed or likely opportunities to use it yet before 28 September so can't change to use on another day. Another opportunity to travel to London may come up but I don't know the dates so can't change the ticket yet. Any thoughts?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You need to get the ticket changed before 0658 on 13th July.

What you can do is specify a 5-day window when you will travel. Get the tickets excessed to an Anytime Return, which will cost you £53 (£249-£206=£43 difference, plus £10 admin fee), you must specify a date for the Anytime Return to commence, and the outward journey must be made within 5 days of that date. You have 1 month to return.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
The other option with some flexibility on the outward portion is the Weekender ticket, although grantedly you only get a two-day window with this ticket on the outbound and a four-day window on the return.

This would only cost you the £10 admin charge.

The Weekender Restrictions said:
Restriction : 1S

Availability:
Tickets can be purchased in
advance or on day of travel.

Outward Travel:
Valid for outward travel on
Fridays or Saturdays on ANY
train.
Break of journey is NOT
permitted.
Valid on date shown on ticket
ONLY.
Return Travel:
Return travel is NOT permitted
on the Friday.
Return journeys are otherwise
valid at any time within four
days, i.e. by Monday if
outward was on Friday; by
Tuesday if outward was on
Saturday.
Travel is not permitted on any
other day.
Seat reservations are NOT
compulsory.

Discounts:
Railcard and Child discounts
apply to these fares.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I am pretty certain Weekender tickets have now been withdrawn from sale.

My apologies. It would indeed seem that the Weekender has been withdrawn, and the Off-Peak Return lowered in price to the level charged by the Weekender to compensate.

IanD

Established Member
If the tickets were exchanged for a non-Advanced return as Yorkie suggests, could the new ticket then be surrendered for a refund less another £10? If so, you could then get about 8 pairs of advanced singles from London to York if you booked far enough in advance! (I would be very surpprised if this was allowed though!)

Also, if two advances are traded in for an anytime return, would you have to pay 2 £10 admin charges?

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I have an advance return York - London for 13 July
. . .
It was paid for by work.
You have given quite a lot of information here, but maybe not quite enough!
Let's revisit the NRCoC prohibition on the transfer of tickets:
6. Transferring a ticket to another person

A ticket may only be used by the person who bought that ticket, or the person on whose behalf that ticket was bought. When a ticket is purchased on behalf of an organisation, business or similar entity, then that ticket may be used by any person employed by such entity unless otherwise shown on the ticket by means of a person’s name, photocard number or other identifying mark. In such cases it may only be used by the person so identified.
No purchaser of a ticket may resell or transfer that ticket for value to anyone else unless this has been specifically allowed by the terms and conditions which apply to that ticket, and which will be made clear when you buy your ticket.
It's clear from the above, that a ticket bought by an organisation (perhaps your employer), that it may be used by that organisation's staff in the course of the organisation's business.
In short, an employee intending to travel may pass the ticket to another employee taking that same journey.

But your phrase "It was paid for by work" doesn't quite answer the question: was it bought by the Company, or was your personal expense repaid by the Company?
If the former, then you may transfer it with impunity to another member of staff (it is a right to be conveyed by rail by any person within the Comany or other entity); but if the latter, then it is not clear that the ticket is transferable to other personnel in the organisation, though with an adequate audit trail of evidence, I would feel confident that any challenge in Law to that transfer could be defended successfully, and should indeed succeed.

Last edited:

bennorthyork

I'd be interested if others agree with IanD's view? I'm suspecting it sounds too good to be true!

Also, if I change the ticket now to another advance ticket on another day say in September, for the appropriate admin fee, can I then change it again some time in September for a later date some time in October by paying another admin fee? Is there a limit to how many times and over how long a period you can do this?

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I'd be interested if others agree with IanD's view? I'm suspecting it sounds too good to be true!....

Only the non-advance excess fare would be refundable (and still be subject to the 'refund' admin fee), any Advance fares and the 'change of journey plans' admin fee would not be refundable.

....Also, if I change the ticket now to another advance ticket on another day say in September, for the appropriate admin fee, can I then change it again some time in September for a later date some time in October by paying another admin fee? Is there a limit to how many times and over how long a period you can do this?

I do not know of a limit offhand, I can't recall seeing one in recently (someone else may know where there is one), but at £10 a change I suspect the railway may not care anymore.

Also, if two advances are traded in for an anytime return, would you have to pay 2 £10 admin charges?

Two fees would be payable as two tickets are changing.

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=48377

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.