• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

York - London stoppers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

greyman42

Established Member
Does anyone know why the York - London stoppers are departing from platform 7 on a regular basis, instead of platform 6? The non stopper nearly always comes in on platform 5 to allow an easy cross platform change to platform 6. The trains that end up on platform 6 stopping the London train using it could just as easily use platform 7. First class passengers in particularly, have a much longer walk.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Does anyone know why the York - London stoppers are departing from platform 7 on a regular basis, instead of platform 6? The non stopper nearly always comes in on platform 5 to allow an easy cross platform change to platform 6. The trains that end up on platform 6 stopping the London train using it could just as easily use platform 7. First class passengers in particularly, have a much longer walk.

Obvious thing would be making dispatch easier due to the curve of the platform (P7 is Convex whilst P6 is concave)

It might also be the amended timetables currently in place meaning that unfortunately platform 6 is not available for the time required for the turn back, and so platform 7 is used as next best.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
It might also be the amended timetables currently in place meaning that unfortunately platform 6 is not available for the time required for the turn back, and so platform 7 is used as next best.

The platforms share a single lead, so from a timetable perspective the trains scheduled to use them can simply be completely transposed without any timetable consequence if NR/the TOCs wanted to.

dk1

Veteran Member
Always gone departed platform 6 whenever I've used it when coming in from the North & I always comment on the fabulous convenience & count myself very lucky.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
It has always gone from P6 when I used this service in them pre covid olden days.

Perhaps there is an infrastructure issue with P6

66Yorks

It has always gone from P6 when I used this service in them pre covid olden days.

Perhaps there is an infrastructure issue with P6

Didn't plt 6 have its track relaid over the Christmas period last year?

Established Member

Lately it is only 1 out the 5 stoppers that is using platform 7. The usual reason it uses 7 is due to a Northern set occuping platform, ie a double set works in but only a single set goes back out. Not saying that is the case, but earlier in the year the 1002 was booked platform 10, and that was due to northern set Diagrams requiring plat 6 and 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.