• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

York North yard + Klondyke sidings

Status
Not open for further replies.

caliwag

I might well have missed the discussion and answers but what is happening in the North York yards, tamper sidings and Klondyke sidings.

Can someone please re post answers and thread.

Most grateful if you can, Cheers, Jim
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Guess it must've been another forum...not that I visit many. Just curious about the origins of 'Klondyke' to describe sidings...!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
As I understand it the Klondyke Wall at Edinburgh Waverley, which separates P10 from P8 and P9, is so called because it was built at the time of the Klondike (spelling) gold rush of the 1890s. Are these all sidings built at that time I wonder?

w0033944

As I understand it the Klondyke Wall at Edinburgh Waverley, which separates P10 from P8 and P9, is so called because it was built at the time of the Klondike (spelling) gold rush of the 1890s. Are these all sidings built at that time I wonder?

It was the reason for that name being applied to Ivatt's first batch of GNR 'Atlantics'.:D

Ploughman

Established Member
I might well have missed the discussion and answers but what is happening in the North York yards, tamper sidings and Klondyke sidings.

Can someone please re post answers and thread.

Most grateful if you can, Cheers, Jim
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Guess it must've been another forum...not that I visit many. Just curious about the origins of 'Klondyke' to describe sidings...!!

I note that the main question of the OP still has not been answered.
what is happening in the North York yards, tamper sidings and Klondyke sidings.

Razor1967

Don't know what is going on as such, but the waste ground next to the CPP Offices is currently been blocked off with high blue metal palestine fencing.

There were rumours stating that they were going to build a "free" school there but I think that has come to nothing. Another rumour is the ground is contaminated with asbestos buried when it used to be BREL Carriageworks Yard.

Either way it's very disappointing as I live opposite the waste ground and it was an ideal spot to take the dog and also get some close up action of the 20s heading into the Network Rail compound in Autumn leaf fall season. Also a great vantage point for a close up view of the freight on the avoiders.

Not sure it they have plans for the waste ground or just providing more security for the rail lines !

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Ok I will tell you ;)

York north yard is being done up to stable otm's that currently stable at leeman road as that will go for development

Klondyke is getting some work done to give more storage for the works but I would keep watching that ;)

caliwag

OK... thanks all, but we have still not got to the bottom why a new yard (Newport NE) in the early 50s had Klondyke sidings...why call them that in 1952?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I see the term cropped up before: Klondyke Sidings

(By the way, we have regular forum meet-ups in York, including one next week, so anyone who is local, please do get in touch, you'd be most welcome!)

As a former resident in the Little Blue Hut of Joy in the Klondyke at Southend, it used to puzzle me. Until I found out that one of the versions of the card game Solitaire is called Klondyke!

If you picture the layout of the cards at the start, it bears a resemblance to the 10 road Southend Down Sidings North.

I am, however, still puzzled why the Up Sidings North is known as the Shute tho'.

Last edited:

alexl92

Established Member
Ok I will tell you ;)

York north yard is being done up to stable otm's that currently stable at leeman road as that will go for development

Klondyke is getting some work done to give more storage for the works but I would keep watching that ;)

OTMs? And Leeman Road Siemens Depot was only opened 9 years ago, surely it's not being redeveloped now?

Status
Not open for further replies.