• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

York ROC opportunities for signallers: Any coming up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supernaut

Hi, would any fellow forum members be aware of upcoming signaller recruitment opportunities to the York ROC? I'm not employed in the industry but have kept a close eye on opportunities over the last 18 months but there hasn't been a sniff of anything there, or nearby boxes (other than one temp role). This is my home city and one day I hope for a crack at getting involved in the industry.

I thought it could be one of three options:

Is the case, much like with TOC staff, that current employees take up positions at York ROC through internal vacancies thus negating the need to advertise externally?

The period of shutting boxes and relocating signallers is behind schedule and delaying the need for new recruits to fill gaps from resignations, retirement, etc

There's no need for new recruits, York ROC is full of happy signal men and women and there will be no need for large scale recruitment (like we have seen in the south).

Should anyone have any insider knowledge, I'd be happy to hear your insights.

Cheers!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nom de guerre

Slightly vague insider semi-knowledge (I work in the south east).

AFAIA there are only a handful of workstations in there at present, and most (possibly all) vacancies have been filled by signallers displaced due to resignalling schemes (e.g. Sheffield PSB, Barnetby area).

York also has an IECC, which, IIRC, has seven or eight workstations. I believe at least some of them are G9, whereas I don't think any of the ROC workstations are higher than G6/7.

I've seen some York jobs on the internal list this year, but couldn't really tell you exactly what or where as I didn't pay much attention. I *think* the most recent vacancy was for an SSM (Shift Manager) at the IECC.

Hopefully someone more local/knowledgeable can expand/correct!

The Lad

The ROC has a couple of workstations at the moment, little has transferred in yet with most activity at the IECC.
Improvements to the Calder Valley will see Bradford-Hebden Bridge as well as Huddersfield going in in due course but I suspect that jobs will transfer in from some of those displaced.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
There’s currently a few internally advertised jobs at York ROC Grade 6, but like others have said the majority of jobs will go to signallers displaced by signalling scheme which end up in there.

Bare in mind that the master plan to have Kings Cross to Newcastle in there at some point, you won’t have people move from the south to York so that may open up positions but that won’t be for years if ever if I’m honest.

Best bet is to literally check everyday.for vacancies on the website.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
See the attached flyer for details of two forthcoming signaller recruitment open days at York ROC.

Attachments

• York_ROC_Open_Day_Flyer.pdf
    100.5 KB · Views: 99
Status
Not open for further replies.