• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

York Signalling School

Status
Not open for further replies.

bouff34

As far as I am aware the signalling apprenticeship is no more.... and i think that very few of those that were employed under it have actually made it all the way to the end... it has mostly been forgotten about although there is a bit of a push currently to try and get those on it through the numerous paperwork hurdles...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mi&Li

As far as I am aware the signalling apprenticeship is no more.... and i think that very few of those that were employed under it have actually made it all the way to the end... it has mostly been forgotten about although there is a bit of a push currently to try and get those on it through the numerous paperwork hurdles...
Where have you heard this?

bouff34

Where have you heard this?
A couple of sources but can't really elaborate in case they weren't supposed to say... I'm under the impression Babcock's are no longer supporting students at York Signal School...or at least won't be for much longer. I'm willing to be corrected. Has anyone on this site that was appointed under the Apprenticeship completed the scheme or know of anyone that has been completely signed off? I've not come across anybody...

Roy.C.

Roy,

I’m currently at York starting week 7 of the old TCB course. I have no idea if the new course is easier or harder.

With regards to pre-reads, you will need to know if you are on an TCB or AB course and I would do no more than learn the phonetic alphabet if you don’t know it & key definitions and principles in chapters 1 & 2 in the relevant TS2 For TSB or TS 3 for AB anything more will just confuse you if you don’t have a railway background.
As for failing I had the same fears but believe me you will be supported. No one on our course had got lower than 95% in either week 3 or 6 exams, yes there is a lot to learn but as long as you put the extra work in at night you should be fine, as my LOM told me, He wouldn’t have employed me if he wasn’t certain that I could pass the course.
Even if you did struggle and failed you would at least get another go at the course.

Hi Danny

I just read this now, thanks so much for your advice.

Is there a way I would be able to find out if I am on a TCB or AB course?

All the best with the remainder of your course.

Qball

Hi Danny

I just read this now, thanks so much for your advice.

Is there a way I would be able to find out if I am on a TCB or AB course?

All the best with the remainder of your course.
Depends if your box is AB or TCB.

bouff34

Depends if your box is AB or TCB.
Don't take it for granted that if you are a TCB box you won't be on the AB course. A few on my intake were going to TCB boxes but were on an AB course followed by a conversion week at the end. If you are going to an AB box however, you definitely won't do a TCB course as there is no conversion course the other way round!

Ajmurphy1986

Can anyone please give me an idea of timescales. My application seemed to be flying, but has ground to a halt after I recieved the email saying I had reached the bench mark. This was a month ago. I emailed them last week and they said they were still waiting on people to submit tests, which seems strange as we had five days from receiving the email to complete them. I realise not everyone who passes the tests gets an interview but what is the wait time usually like to find out if you have?

If successful at interview, how long on average before starting?

Thanks in advance

If you look in the pinned thread at the top ‘A career as a signaller’ there’s much more info in there.

It’s been mentioned a few times recently that there’s been a couple of issues with the test system so it’s taking a little longer. The timescales when all works normally can still be really varied, up to a few months wait to be told you have an interview but usually within a couple of weeks.

From my own experience, if you are successful at interview, the wait for signalling school is pushing start dates as far as October or beyond.

LOM

Good it was just a drain on money which could of been used more efficiently elsewhere.

Yep. The whole apprenticeship levy is just a tax burden on large companies which has very little to do with actually getting disadvantaged people into work. Turning signalling school into an 'apprenticeship' is a simple way to reduce the tax bill with virtually no benefit for the trainees. Paying another company to administer it just adds to the cost.

Last edited:
Yep. The whole apprenticeship levy is just a tax burden on large companies which has very little to do with actually getting disadvantaged people into work. Turning signalling school into an 'apprenticeship' is a simple way to reduce the tax bill with virtually no benefit for the trainees. Paying another company to administer it just adds to the cost.

The levy is such that if you don't use it then you lose it so I get why companies want to make use of it. However I took on 2 apprentices last year in my team and the money we pay into the scheme in no way covers the cost of training them.

bouff34

Good it was just a drain on money which could of been used more efficiently elsewhere.
Does anyone know of any signaller apprentices that made it all the way through and passed the Endpoint Assessment? Asking for a friend....

ROCsteadycrew

Babcock has lost the apprenticeship contract but I understand it will now be administered in-house.
I have received an email off Babcock today reminding me I need to complete the apprenticeship using their website to input evidence of the 325 hours of learning required. Are those people who have started the apprenticeship required to finish direct via Babcock?

LOM

I have received an email off Babcock today reminding me I need to complete the apprenticeship using their website to input evidence of the 325 hours of learning required. Are those people who have started the apprenticeship required to finish direct via Babcock?
That is a good question but I do not have any of my guys in that position so I do not know the answer. I think it would be best to ask your own LOM so he/she can take it up with HR

ROCsteadycrew

That is a good question but I do not have any of my guys in that position so I do not know the answer. I think it would be best to ask your own LOM so he/she can take it up with HR

Thanks LOM, I'll do that.

Roy.C.

Hi all

I start my training in York in a week.....has anyone recently started/finished or still currently in the training? What’s the environment etc like due to the pandemic, is it safe; and can anyone kindly confirm if the Apprenticeship has definitely lapsed and it’s all now in house; and if it’s definitely 10 weeks now and not 12?

Sorry I haven’t been provided any information so I’m very intrigued; along with very nervous and panic!

Thanks

MrsP2010

Hi all

I start my training in York in a week.....has anyone recently started/finished or still currently in the training? What’s the environment etc like due to the pandemic, is it safe; and can anyone kindly confirm if the Apprenticeship has definitely lapsed and it’s all now in house; and if it’s definitely 10 weeks now and not 12?

Sorry I haven’t been provided any information so I’m very intrigued; along with very nervous and panic!

Thanks
Amanda08 started a week ago in York - she posts on A Career as a Signaller - she'll know more

Status
Not open for further replies.