• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

York Signalling School

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flush_Fraser

Morning all,

I had my interview yesterday for a Grade 2 signaller role. Got pretty nervous so am worried I many have f*cked it, but just in case I didn't I have a question with regards how it works if you go to the signalling school in York (was told that's where the one for my role would be).

The (very nice) chap interviewing me said the 'lessons' run from Monday to Friday and that you're put up in a hotel, then come home at weekends. Do you know if the hotel is only provided Monday night through Friday or if you have the option of staying for the weekend too? I live in London so York is a bit of a trek so though if possible I'd just base myself up there for the duration with the odd visit home to keep my better half happy. The appeal of this is obviously lessened somewhat if i'm going to have to shell out my own money for a 2 night stay most weekends.

No worries if no-one is too sure, but if anyone has an idea how it works it would be great to know.

Many thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

chris2.0

Training is Monday to Friday. You'll start at 0930 on Mondays, and 0900 on Tuesday - Friday. You will normally be on the 1200 train home on a Friday. They will pay for a hotel on the Sunday night and they will pay for your travel on the Sunday.
2000 Train on a Sunday evening gets you in to York around 2215, the 1159 train on the Friday should get you home by about 1500. This gives you most of a weekend to enjoy. The travelling can be a pain, but there's a good chance you will be travelling with other people on your course so can be a good time to get some revision/question and answer sessions in.

York is a fantastic place to learn, but after a few weeks, you really look forward to going home at the weekends. You need to switch off and relax and a hotel room you have been revising in all week is not the place to do it.

You'll have great fun if you choose to go. I am in my last week here and I have made some great friends and really challenged myself and best of all I will hopefully have a great career ahead of me in the railway.

Flush_Fraser

Hiya Chris,

Couldn't have asked for a more precise answer, so thanks for answering everything for me :). It sounds like there are fairly regular tests and checks thrown in so if you've made it to your last week I'm assuming you've done well for yourself. Best of luck with wherever you're stationed. I think, and obviously I still have to see how my interview went etc, I'd be based at Dollis Hill.

Thanks again for the detailed answer and I hope your last week goes well!

Clydefrog

Training is Monday to Friday. You'll start at 0930 on Mondays, and 0900 on Tuesday - Friday. You will normally be on the 1200 train home on a Friday. They will pay for a hotel on the Sunday night and they will pay for your travel on the Sunday.
2000 Train on a Sunday evening gets you in to York around 2215, the 1159 train on the Friday should get you home by about 1500. This gives you most of a weekend to enjoy. The travelling can be a pain, but there's a good chance you will be travelling with other people on your course so can be a good time to get some revision/question and answer sessions in.

York is a fantastic place to learn, but after a few weeks, you really look forward to going home at the weekends. You need to switch off and relax and a hotel room you have been revising in all week is not the place to do it.

You'll have great fun if you choose to go. I am in my last week here and I have made some great friends and really challenged myself and best of all I will hopefully have a great career ahead of me in the railway.

Hi there, i will be going off to signalling school dec or jan not sure yet. As you are there now i was wondering if you could tell me what the structure for tests is?
So how many tests there is. Pass percentage if any. How strict they are.
And have you got any tips before i go that you wish u had known before you went

Thanks

chris2.0

i was wondering if you could tell me what the structure for tests is?
So how many tests there is. Pass percentage if any. How strict they are.
Thanks

There are 3 written knowledge assessments.
  • Week 2 - Pass Mark 70%
  • Week 6 - Pass Mark 75%
  • Week 11 - Pass Mark 80%
You have one 'talk up' you can use if you fall below the pass mark by less than 5%. You can only use this once per course so ideally you want to save this for the last one. The assessments are not to bad but you have to apply yourself, revise and work with the rest of your training group to get you all through. If you fail badly, it goes back to your manager to dicide if you go again or wether they terminate your contract.
There are also 4 practical observations throughout the course. These are one to one sim sessions with a trainer to take you through some important exercises. Whilst these aren't strictly pass/fail, they do get fed back to your manager and doing well on the final 'high risk' observation is important to passing the course.
As the course is now an apprenticeship, you will also have some functional skills tests too. These really aren't anything to worry about and you can skip some of them if you can show you have already achieved level 2 Maths and English (GCSE A-C). Please don't stress over the functional skills part through, you can work on those throughout the 12 months.

Don't worry about doing any reading before you get there, go with an open mind. Bring plenty of pens and note paper as you may be taking lots of notes. Prepare to make lots of new friends as well, you will spend lots of time with the others on your course and you will all help each other to get through it together.

Have fun, it's been an amazing 12 weeks for me, I'm sure you will have a great time too.

Clydefrog

Hi Chris,

That was just the info i was looking for to put my mind at ease. Thankyou for taking the time to write it all. Im not sure when i will be going to signalling school yet but i am really looking forward to it.

Thanks again

Lmc1976

• Week 2 - Pass Mark 70%
  • Week 6 - Pass Mark 75%
You have one 'talk up' you can use if you fall below the pass mark by less than 5%. You can only use this once per course so ideally you want to save this for the last one. The assessments are not to bad but you have to apply yourself, revise and work with the rest of your training group to get you all through. If you fail badly, it goes back to your manager to dicide if you go again or wether they terminate your contract.
There are also 4 practical observations throughout the course. These are one to one sim sessions with a trainer to take you through some important exercises. Whilst these aren't strictly pass/fail, they do get fed back to your manager and doing well on the final 'high risk' observation is important to passing the course.
As the course is now an apprenticeship, you will also have some functional skills tests too. These really aren't anything to worry about and you can skip some of them if you can show you have already achieved level 2 Maths and English (GCSE A-C). Please don't stress over the functional skills part through, you can work on those throughout the 12 months.

Don't worry about doing any reading before you get there, go with an open mind. Bring plenty of pens and note paper as you may be taking lots of notes. Prepare to make lots of new friends as well, you will spend lots of time with the others on your course and you will all help each other to get through it together.

Have fun, it's been an amazing 12 weeks for me, I'm sure you will have a great time too.

This is fantastic information, thank you.
Can you (or anyone else for that matter) tell me what the course completion rate is/was? i.e if 10 started how many finished?

I need to judge how big a risk I would be taking giving up my current well paid but mind numbing job with a mortgage and mouths to feed etc etc should I be successful at interview.

chris2.0

This is fantastic information, thank you.
Can you (or anyone else for that matter) tell me what the course completion rate is/was? i.e if 10 started how many finished?

I need to judge how big a risk I would be taking giving up my current well paid but mind numbing job with a mortgage and mouths to feed etc etc should I be successful at interview.

Varies from course to course. Mine was 11 down to 10. If you apply yourself, you'll be fine :)

Flush_Fraser

Might even see you there Clyde :)

I found out my interview was successful on Friday, sent back the employment history forms etc over the weekend so now am just waiting for Network Rail to do their checks on me and for the medical company to get in touch with me to schedule my medical. This should take 3 or so weeks they say, plus I mentioned I wouldn't be comfortable handing in my notice at work until I knew all the checks had gone through fine, which will add another month for me. This being said I should be good to go come mid-Dec or thereabouts, so would imagine I'll be off to York in one of the first classes of the new year. Pretty excited now tbh as it's been a long slog getting this far but it all feels totally worthwhile now! All I have to do now is spend the next couple of months making the most of having a job where I can show up hungover ;)

Sinistah

Did you find out by receiving a call from HR or the LOM. I had an interview on Friday and it is so nerve racking waiting.

Sinistah

Also would NR HR contact you if you were unsuccessful or would it just turn to application unsuccessful on the website

Flush_Fraser

Hi Sinistah,

I got an email from HR. Basically it was just an email with a letter attached which had the old "we are pleased to say...", and then a few forms which have to be returned to them, along with copies of your passport etc.

I would very much imagine you'll be the same and it would be an email, but I can't say that with any certainty. As for whether they would get in touch if you were unsuccessful, I really don't know but I would like to think if you made it as far as an interview then they would at least send you an email with the outcome.

Sinistah

really appreciate the information mate. Did they not take a photocopy of your passport at interview then?

Flush_Fraser

• Week 2 - Pass Mark 70%
  • Week 6 - Pass Mark 75%

Chris, do you mind me asking how it works with food etc? Like, do Network Rail provide meals, do they give you money towards it, do you spend your own money and keep receipts, or is it just totally on you to cover the expense? Also how does it work with the train fares to and from home, so in my case London to York? Do you buy them yourself and then claim it back, or is there some way of saying which train you'd like and a ticket is magically arranged on your behalf?

I'm more than happy to spend my own money BTW, don't want it to sound like I'm on the scrounge! I'm just curious how it all works. Anything else you could think of with regards how it all works would be great too, but no worries if not. You've answered more than enough questions already :).

Also is the hotel quite close to the training centre? Is it a Travellodge type deal or have they pushed the boat out a bit :p

Flush_Fraser

They took a picture of my drivers license at the interview?
My passport was to out of date

Yeah they did actually so I thought it was odd I had to send HR a copy too. I'm just assuming that maybe the copy taken at interview was more for the sake of the LOM so he could keep a track on who he has seen etc, and that the copy to go to HR is the official proof which will sit on record to basically say I am who I say I am.

Sinistah

was just trying to guage if them taking a copy of my passport was a good sign lol. When your waiting for an outcome on your interview you reflect on the minute details of the interview looking for positives or negatives to draw on.

Flush_Fraser

was just trying to guage if them taking a copy of my passport was a good sign lol. When your waiting for an outcome on your interview you reflect on the minute details of the interview looking for positives or negatives to draw on.
Oh man tell me about it haha. I was bricking it going in as it's the first job ever that I've actually wanted and haven't just applied for for the money/location/etc etc. I answered some questions well but for others there were definitely some awkward silences while I tried desperately to think of scenarios of what they were asking.

They told me I'd hear something within 2 weeks so it was quite a relief when it only took a few days. A factor that might alter things I suppose could be where you would be posted. For example if you're likely to be somewhere a bit busier they may have seen more applicants and thus it would take a bit longer to decide who they want? That's just a guess though so don't take my word for it.

Best of luck though! I hope you get good news!

Lasbrisas

This thread is good info for me as I shall be starting the course in York on 6th November.

Flush_Fraser

Hi Lasbrisas, can I ask how long it was between finding out your interview had been successful and getting a start date for York? I got the nod that I'd passed my interview on Friday just gone (13th) and sent off my forms (employment history etc) to HR the next day. I'm now just waiting to hear back from them and for the medical company to get in touch with me to schedule my medical. I've heard that all takes a month or so (be interested to hear if that's how it was for you) and then I have a months notice period to work in my current role.

I appreciate it's different for everyone due to personal circumstances, but if you could give an indication of your timelines that'd be great :)

Thanks!

TRain87

I found out I had the job last December 3rd, I then sent off forms and had my medical on 27th January - I then had the nod that all was ok on 4th February and started with network rail on 6th March! Hope this helps @Flush_Fraser

Flush_Fraser

Hey @tryles87, yeah that's a big help, thanks matey :)

I did figure based on how long it's taken me to get this far that it wouldn't be all done in a matter of weeks, but it's cool to have a grasp of roughly how long it might take. Is the medical fairly basic? I've never actually had one before so weirdly I'm quite looking forward to it haha. Might stick a tracksuit on and pretend I'm signing for Arsenal ;)

baz962

Established Member
Hey @tryles87, yeah that's a big help, thanks matey :)

I did figure based on how long it's taken me to get this far that it wouldn't be all done in a matter of weeks, but it's cool to have a grasp of roughly how long it might take. Is the medical fairly basic? I've never actually had one before so weirdly I'm quite looking forward to it haha. Might stick a tracksuit on and pretend I'm signing for Arsenal ;)

I am keeping an eye on these thread's as I have applied for the signaller at cambridge and have passed the online stuff. However as a season ticket holder at the emirates I had to reply to say please come and play for us we need you.

TRain87

Medical is fairly basic. Medical history, eye test, colour blindness, hearing test, drugs and alcohol test and any medication you might be on. As long as you have no drugs in your system and pass the drink test - you get the ok at the medical, the waiting for results is drug testing

Lasbrisas

Hi Lasbrisas, can I ask how long it was between finding out your interview had been successful and getting a start date for York? I got the nod that I'd passed my interview on Friday just gone (13th) and sent off my forms (employment history etc) to HR the next day. I'm now just waiting to hear back from them and for the medical company to get in touch with me to schedule my medical. I've heard that all takes a month or so (be interested to hear if that's how it was for you) and then I have a months notice period to work in my current role.

I appreciate it's different for everyone due to personal circumstances, but if you could give an indication of your timelines that'd be great :)

Thanks!

Sorry been a bit busy and just seen this, the following is info I posted on another thread a few days ago -

Ok just to give you an idea of timescales on the recruitment process, here is mine from start to finish, Assessment 2 is the interview.

Application Under Review 30-May-2017 12:08:29
Application Accepted 31-May-2017 07:06:47
Application Under Consideration 31-May-2017 14:48:36
Test Completed 31-May-2017 14:49:20
Test Completed 31-May-2017 18:04:07
Application under consideration for assessment 2 27-Jun-2017 16:36:55
Invite to Assessment 2 Pending 06-Jul-2017 12:52:05
Invite to Assessment 2 Pending 07-Jul-2017 16:34:56
Assessment 2 Scheduled 07-Jul-2017 16:37:41
Assessment 2 Completed 18-Jul-2017 17:31:27

I was called the day after (19th July) to say I had got the job, then they have to sort out security checks, employment history checks, I had my medical on 21st August, told I had passed 3 weeks later and the checks were fine, I start on 30th October for a week then go to signalling school on 6th November until 16th February 2018 so as you can see it takes a fair while to get through the whole process.

Just one added thing that may have affected me as I'm an old git in my 50's is your blodd pressure needs to be below 180/100, I get nervous with medical stuff and normally mine is well below but my lower level got close to 100 as I was nervous.

Flush_Fraser

@Lasbrisas Thanks for the detailed response, very handy to have a rough idea of the timescales and what the medical involves!

@baz962 Haha yeah we're in a bad place at the moment. Won't clog up this thread with football chat but suffice to say a decent run in the Europa is the only way we'll be seeing CL football next season. And given that the likes of Dortmund will probably drop into the Europa after the CL group stages we're by no means nailed on to go deep into it, let alone win the thing :(

Lmc1976

When it comes to the medical how are the drug and alcohol tests taken? Is it blood or urine, something else or both!

Johnjackso94

Hi I’m new to the form I’m of to York in few weeks for a grade 2 signaling apprenticeship I am a little worried about the English and maths tests I hear you have to do when you first go I got through the tests for the job but I took a lot of practice ones to start with ... I read on here you have 12 months to get through those was wondering if I have read that right and if anyone has any advice for me would be great as I’m really worried and really need this job and don’t want to fail as I really need this job thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.