• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

York Tap

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuccir

Established Member
Saw the front of this new bar currently being built at York station as my train passed through last night. Anyone know anything else about it? Is is from the people behind the Sheffield Tap?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Looking forward to it to open. Will be a great place to wait for a train !

I wonder if it will be open this weekend.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Excellent, it should be open by the next time I'm passing through York then.:) No more the need for a quick dash round the corner to The Maltings or Wetherspoons for a swift pint in the half hour wait between trains. With a pub on the station, I'll probably be able to manage two pints in that amount of time. :D

Established Member
Still remember it when it was the Model Railway

XCDriver said:
Lets hope the prices are a bit lower than Sheffield !!

Don't hold your breath! Probably be the same prices as Pivo/Pivni (another bar in York owned by the same company). Although the good thing about York is that there are quite a few decent and cheaper pubs with a few minutes walk.

With the only competion on the station the awful place thats connected to the upper crust this place should make a killing and therefore i can see it being pricey.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
If I feel skint I can always pop round the corner for a few first !

Ferret

Established Member
Any update on this pub?

It looked open when I walked past t'other day. I was working so could only gawp through the window from the outside but the refurb looked very good!:) I look forward to a time when I'm not working and can go in!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Had a chance to enjoy the ambience today.

Lovely setting, good beer - all in all a good job done.

The bar was busy but not crowded - which is the ideal situation.

My only comment would be that there is a lovely big space between the platform and the bar. I hope that they get some tables outside in time for the summer so that we can watch the trains go by :D

newbie babs

It sounds good, I will have to take a trip

I like Sheffield`s for being able to watch the trains as its on Platform 1, not keen on the tables outside facing the crossing though.

Sapphire Blue

Any update on this pub?

Opened to the public at approx 3pm on Wednesday. I couldn't get there 'til 7.30 and managed an hour.
It was quite busy but not unbearable and had of course a paint smell to the place (not the best for tasting).
The decor is tremendous and you can tell a lot of money has been invested.
A huge split circular centre bar with 2 banks of 10 hand pumps on either side. Bar was very well staffed and therefore not a long wait.
Seating was at a premium.
I had pints of Dark Star IPA, Magic Rock High Wire and a Thornbridge. All were in great condition and very well presented but with maybe a little too much head.
All were between 5% and 5.5% and between £3.10 and £3.50. A bit pricey for me but I am a tight Yorkshire Git!

All in all a very good effort and I shall be back next Wednesday to see how the place is "settling in".

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It's near the buffers of the old Whitby/Scarborough/Market Weighton bay platforms.

caliwag

I understand that the old postal space behind (front) facing platform 3 will be used for outside seating. York is generally quite pricy, unless you drink in a Sam's...so £3.00 will be par for the course for, say, a 4.1.
With luck it will make Coopers sort themselves out...expensive, poor service and never a full range of beer...very much the old order of station buffets: Management complacency plainly.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I did nt see any menus when i went in for a pint on Wednesday night. I DID see 20 hand pull beers! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :D;)

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I saw some pork pies on display which looked rather nice (even though I'm more of a scotch egg person if the truth be known).

caliwag

Yes, that's the area where they propose outdoor tables and chairs. For those a little unfamiliar with the station...to the right is platform 3 (generally the main Southbound) and to the left the entrance to the covered short stay car park which cover the old Scarborough bays.
Sorry that's probably pretty useless info!!

theblackwatch

Established Member
I'm in there at the moment - the place is heaving and people looking for seats. Been looking forward to this place openong but sadly doesn't appear to be one for a quiet drink, it sound like a school dinner hall. Good beer range though and a couple are only £2.70 a pint.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I'm in there at the moment - the place is heaving and people looking for seats. Been looking forward to this place openong but sadly doesn't appear to be one for a quiet drink, it sound like a school dinner hall. Good beer range though and a couple are only £2.70 a pint.

Ah, perhaps I managed to get in before word got around ! But then again it is a Friday :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.