• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

York - Whitby

Status
Not open for further replies.

bennorthyork

I am looking for the cheapest day return fare York - Whitby for a group of us.
There are 3 adults and 8 kids (2 under 5s). We have a family railcard.

National rail suggests the following:
Off peak day return
Adults 3 x 8.45 = 25.35 with F&F railcard
Children 4 x 2.45 = 9.80 with F&F railcard
Child 2 x 6.40 = 12.80
Total £47.95
2 under fives free

This is already a good deal I think but any ideas for any cheaper please?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I am at a loss as to how this could possibly be reduced! This is one of the best value fares in the country (in order to compete with the buses, which take a more direct route and are more frequent, I think).

The normal adult bus fare may be cheaper than this, but I would be very surprised if it was cheaper for a group with a F&F Railcard, but you could call Coastliner and ask if they have a group ticket.

Smethwickian

Yorkshire Coastliner buses' all-day family ticket (for up to 2 adults and 3 children, or 1 adult and 4 children) is £30 (compared with the adult day return fare from York to Whitby of £13) so whatever combination you use I can't get that to less than £47.95 for three adults and six paying children.

Additionally, while children aged 5-16 inclusive get a third off adult single and return tickets, any of your children aged 11-16 would need one of the Transdev/Coastliner company's proof of age-type things called a Young Person's SuperSaver, otherwise they pay full adult fares!!

Last edited:

bennorthyork

Thanks guys. I agree it is a great value fare. I feel a bit guilty for asking but I guess it's always worth checking if you're getting the best deal :oops:

cuccir

Established Member
As a big group with kids, you should consider what times you are travelling at. It's not so much a problem out of season but If you're going over Easter, especially the weekend in itself but also in the holidays, the trains to/from Whitby can be packed. Particularly think about your return journey - it's worth getting to the station for the arrival time of the incoming train from Middlesborough so that you can get yourself seats for the outbound trip!

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
As a big group with kids, you should consider what times you are travelling at. It's not so much a problem out of season but If you're going over Easter, especially the weekend in itself but also in the holidays, the trains to/from Whitby can be packed. Particularly think about your return journey - it's worth getting to the station for the arrival time of the incoming train from Middlesborough so that you can get yourself seats for the outbound trip!

I would be more concerned about getting on, let alone get a seat. It is not unknown for the mid morning train from Middlesbrough, and the late afternoon train back from Whitby to leave folk behind during the busiest holiday periods.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I would be more concerned about getting on, let alone get a seat. It is not unknown for the mid morning train from Middlesbrough, and the late afternoon train back from Whitby to leave folk behind during the busiest holiday periods.

Indeed! That service could really do with being strengthened with a 153 during the summer as it does get very busy and leaving people behind on that line can mean a very long wait until the next train turns up.

Established Member
Indeed! That service could really do with being strengthened with a 153 during the summer as it does get very busy and leaving people behind on that line can mean a very long wait until the next train turns up.

Not sure if Middlesbrough/Darlo drivers sign 153s.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member

Not sure, but a 142 tagged on the back would surely suffice - they would certainly fill it. It may be a bouncy ride, but a bouncy seat is better than no seat at all. I'm sure they must be able to muster a 142 from somewhere for the main season. And I'm sure they could find a way of coping with the short platforms at some stations. They used to use 4 car 142s in the early 90s.

Established Member
An extra 142 could easily be found on weekends as less Saltburn - Newcastle via Durham trains run in the morning.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
An extra 142 could easily be found on weekends as less Saltburn - Newcastle via Durham trains run in the morning.

Weekends isn't always the problem - it is midweek in the summer and school holidays which are worst from my experience up there a few years ago.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Well I was being a bit pie in the sky with that comment, but certainly something needs to be done and it needs to be done for everyday of the week during summer not just the weekends. I've done a midweek run on that and it was a close thing on leaving people behind at Grosmont.

Established Member
Heaton did received that one additional 142 which was supposed to be tacked on an early morning Hexham to Newcastle service, so there's one that could be used. Think you'd struggle to find any more

Status
Not open for further replies.