York Yuletide Express : Norwich - York

Discussion in 'Allocations, Diagrams & Timetables' started by Mechy, 23 Oct 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mechy

Mechy Member

Hi All. Looks like the Steam ban on the ECML is set to continue over the winter period. I am booked for a trip on the York Yuletide Express charter on 15/12/11 behind Bittern from Norwich to York and it is now showing as being booked via one hell of a diversion!

It was going Norwich - Ely - Peterborough - York but now is showing as travelling via Norwich - Ely - Peterborough - Lincoln - Gainsborough - Doncaster - Church Fenton - York.

Must admit I'm pretty disappointed :( was looking forward for some serious steam action up the ECML! Wonder how much longer this diversion will take.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. scoope

scoope Member

Would have thought an extra 20 mins for the diversion

4. Darandio

Darandio Established Member

Overall, it's only around 15-20 miles further as a journey, so should not be too bad.

5. theblackwatch

theblackwatch Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I think it'll be a lot longer than that - there are engineering works taking place this coming weekend, the 18.30 ex King's Cross is diverted via this route and takes 2 hours 22 minutes to get from Peterborough to Doncaster rather than the usual booked 52 minutes.

6. The North Briton

The North Briton Member

But that takes account of the lower line speeds on the diversion, compared with 125mph-capable traction on the ECML. Having said that, 20 minutes probably is a bit optimistic. I would guess + 30 mins for running via Lincoln and maybe another 10 for leaving the ECML at Shaftholme.

7. YorkshireBear

YorkshireBear Established Member

yeah but steam cant run 125mph on ECML anyway so its not losing anywhere near as much.

Probably quite a scenic route to be fair!

8. Mechy

Mechy Member

Thanks guys. I suppose I shouldn't moan, the extra distance gives me more time behind Bittern and as you mention it is quite scenic at the Northern end! :). I'm still very much looking forward to it.

9. YorkshireBear

YorkshireBear Established Member

Yeah i would look at it that way. You could bomb down the ECML any day this will be going over some fo the lesser used lines of yorkshire :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.