• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Yorkshire Devolution

How would you like Yorkshire to be governed

• Devolved Yorkshire Parliament (in style of Scottish/Welsh Parliaments)

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Yorkshire independence from England, but within the UK as the 5th nation

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Yorkshire independence from the UK

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • English Parliament

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • No change

Votes: 17 25.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
Nothing too serious, but as someone interested in constitutional issues and an advocate for an English Parliament of sorts, I'd be interested to know from Yorkshire residents, with its own strong identity, how they would want to approach constitutional change in England.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It's a good subject. I support Yorkshire devolution, still within the UK and part of England, but with devolved powers.

xotGD

Established Member
An independent republic. As long as I don't get deported!

eastdyke

Established Member
A problem with 'devolved powers' is the close interaction that has to be had with 'devolved powers' of other (in this case geographical) entities.
And that might just be an issue within Yorkshire itself.

As a footnote Yorkshire has a larger area and greater resident population than Qatar, and they very probably have an upcoming Football World Cup. (No oil to speak of and little sand by comparison but apparently plenty of tea and pudding) ;)

EssexGonzo

Will the PRY (People’s Republic of Yorkshire) join the EU and can I get a Yorkshire / EU passport?

Bob figgis

Will the PRY (People’s Republic of Yorkshire) join the EU and can I get a Yorkshire / EU passport?
Er no, no and er no.

Once the PRY is formed we will just need to annexe Leeds. And it’s Capital will be Sheffield.
Ducks for cover, where’s me tin hat.

Iskra

Established Member
I voted for an English parliament, as thats the most pressing reform that’s needed in my opinion.

I don’t see why Yorkshire deserves any special status compared to other counties. We aren’t a nation. And it would set a bizarre precedent, imagine Rutland asking for the same...?

D6130

Established Member
A lot of my friends here in Yorkshire....and my Yorkshire born-and-bred wife....would like to become part of the Republic of Scotland when it gains independence. Hopefully before too long we shall be able to regain European passports.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
York would have to be capital to stop civil war breaking out between Leeds, Sheffield, Bradford, Hull and Middlesbrough.

And Sir Geoffrey Boycott would of course be president.

And no way would Yorkshire ever rejoin the EU!! If the Scots ever do get independence, I don't suppose they will be too pleased when they find they have to convert their life savings into Euros at 1.10 to the £ or thereabouts!

eastwestdivide

Established Member
If Scotland gets independence, and something happens with NI, will we be left with the Former United Kingdom of Yorkshire England and Wales? I don't have to spell out how bad an idea that would be.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
If Scotland gets independence, and something happens with NI, will we be left with the Former United Kingdom of Yorkshire England and Wales? I don't have to spell out how bad an idea that would be.

Devolution doesn't automatically mean secession. Yorkshire could still be an autonomous part of England.

Iskra

Established Member
One obvious issue, is who would be leader of a free Yorkshire. There doesn’t seem to be an obvious candidate currently.

Bevan Price

Established Member
We should have a UK Federation, local areas responsible for most policy and taxation, with a minimal central authority just in charge of defence, etc. (and a new national capital that is not London).
Within reason, boundaries of each region should be decided by local population votes, rather than by some map-drawer based in London.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Home rule for Devon & Cornwall :-0)
As a combined authority? Good luck with that one!! I'm going to counter with a combined Lancashire and Yorkshire, capital Manchester, naturally. Only joking, to assuage any doubts: after all, I had a Yorkshire grandfather, whom I accompanied to Surrey CC v Yorkshire CC matches as a kid, whereas I've no Lancashire blood.

Mat17

We should have a UK Federation, local areas responsible for most policy and taxation, with a minimal central authority just in charge of defence, etc. (and a new national capital that is not London).
Within reason, boundaries of each region should be decided by local population votes, rather than by some map-drawer based in London.
I agree with this!

Considering The Yorkshire Party finished an impressive 3rd place in the West Yorkshire Mayoral Election; things will have to be considered down the line, if such growth continues.

xotGD

Established Member
An independent Yorkshire wouldn't need to worry about a new currency. After all, spending money isn't what Yorkshire folk are known for! :D

davetheguard

Established Member
I don’t see why Yorkshire deserves any special status compared to other counties. We aren’t a nation. And it would set a bizarre precedent, imagine Rutland asking for the same...?

I wonder which is bigger: Rutland or Luxembourg?

Status
Not open for further replies.