• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Yorkshire - Oxford - Manchester Airport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Nice complicated journey to try and plan to try and make it easier and/or cheaper than my wife driving everywhere:

We're not entitled to any Railcards. I have an EC-only season Leeds - London Kings Cross

We're starting near Keighley, though we can get a Day Rover to anywhere in Yorkshire, Hebden Bridge is one that's worked well before.

On Monday 4th June (yes, I know...) we're going to Oxford. Looking to be there sometime before 4pm.

We won't be able to leave Oxford until 11ish...(not making this any easier am I). We need to go somewhere to get a hotel for a (bit of) a night's sleep. I've thought Birmingham might work. My wife would rather not go via London (she suspects it might be a bit busy those days,,,)

On Tuesday 5th June my wife needs to be at Manchester Airport by about 9am ish (for 11ish flight). I need to end up in Yorkshire or London with no major time restrictions.

I've found some resaonable advances Oxford - Birmingham and Birmingham - Man Airport but Yorkshire - Oxford seems to be rather pricey.

Any ideas appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route:oxford

Established Member
Nice complicated journey to try and plan to try and make it easier and/or cheaper than my wife driving everywhere:

We're not entitled to any Railcards. I have an EC-only season Leeds - London Kings Cross

We're starting near Keighley, though we can get a Day Rover to anywhere in Yorkshire, Hebden Bridge is one that's worked well before.

On Monday 4th June (yes, I know...) we're going to Oxford. Looking to be there sometime before 4pm.

We won't be able to leave Oxford until 11ish...(not making this any easier am I). We need to go somewhere to get a hotel for a (bit of) a night's sleep. I've thought Birmingham might work. My wife would rather not go via London (she suspects it might be a bit busy those days,,,)

On Tuesday 5th June my wife needs to be at Manchester Airport by about 9am ish (for 11ish flight). I need to end up in Yorkshire or London with no major time restrictions.

I've found some resaonable advances Oxford - Birmingham and Birmingham - Man Airport but Yorkshire - Oxford seems to be rather pricey.

Any ideas appreciated.

Take the car. Avoid London, avoid pubic transport on the Jubilee weekend.

Allow around £20 to park in central Oxford.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Take the car. Avoid London, avoid pubic transport on the Jubilee weekend.

Allow around £20 to park in central Oxford.

She'd rather not drive if she can aviod it - mostly so she doesn't have to drive home from Manchester airport when she gets back.

Is that like public transport? :p

The venue we're going to isn't central Oxford - we shouldn't have much trouble parking near it if we need to - it's on a very frequent bus route from Oxford if we do do public transport or if urgent we could get a cab (feel free to suggest local companies!)

sonic2009

Established Member
Deerfold can i clarify something please. You wish to arrive in Oxford around 4pm Monday 4th June and leave at 11pm the same day?.

Edit : Have worked you do need to leave the same day.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

dvboy

Established Member
suggest the hotel option might be cheaper if you go for birmingham intl rather than the city centre

sonic2009

Established Member
Here's my option :

Keighley - St Neots : Train
St Neots - Oxford : Bus (X5)

Oxford - Birmingham : Train

Overnight Stay

Birmingham - Manchester Airport : Train ( Wife leaves)

Manchester Airport - Keighley : Train.

Reasonable advances tickets available for Keighley - St Neots, with Deerfold you only requiring a ticket Keighley - Leeds & Peterborough - St Neots.

St Neots - Oxford is £12.00 single each.

One thing i am trying to find out, that if an advance ticket requires you to wait overnight, if the station is closed (that you are required to wait at) are you allowed to find accomdation and resume your journey the next day at the times specified on your ticket.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

John @ home

Established Member
One thing i am trying to find out, that if an advance ticket requires you to wait overnight, if the station is closed (that you are required to wait at) are you allowed to find accomdation and resume your journey the next day at the times specified on your ticket.
Yes. See my post #8 in the breaking your journey thread.

sonic2009

Established Member
Here's my itinerary for you :

Monday 4th June

Keighley dep 0837 - Leeds arr 0904 dep 0915 - Doncaster arr 0945 dep 0953 - Peterborough arr 1047 dep 1116 - St Neots arr 1141

St Neots Cambridge Street depart 1228 - Oxford Gloucester Green arr 1515

- Directions from St Neots station to Cambridge Street, St Neots here

- Stagecoach X5 timetable here.

Later on the evening on Monday 4th June.

Oxford dep 2306 - Banbury arr 2334 dep 2339 - Birmingham Moor Street arr 0039

Stay in your hotel :)

Tuesday 5th June

Birmingham New Street dep 0530 - Crewe arr 0621 dep 0633 - Manchester Airport 0704

Wife leaves you.

Manchester Airport dep 0841 - Manchester Piccadilly arr 0858 dep 0911 - Leeds arr 1009 dep 1019 - Keighley arr 1042

Wife's tickets :

Keighley - St Neots Advance EC + Connections £25.10 (book online at East Coast)
St Neots - Oxford Stagecoach X5 single £12.00
Oxford - Manchester Airport VWC + Connections £17.00

Deerfold tickets :

Keighley - Leeds Anytime Day single £4.10
Peterborough - St Neots Anytime Day single £5.80
St Neots - Oxford Stagecoach X5 single £12.00
Oxford - Manchester Airport VWC + Connections £17.00
Manchester Airport - Keighley TPE Airport Advance £10.00

Hope this helps :)

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Seems a bit harsh! I've found that less trains and more flowers keeps them on track. :p

I think the amount of time on the X5 might have had just that effect!

She's decided to drive, enabling us also to stay in a £26 travelodge just off the M6 with no wprries about what time our event ends. I'll be getting the train fram manchester airport.

Many thanks for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.