• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Yorkshire Tiger bus fire in Mirfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Just seen on tonight's Look North about a bus fire in Mirfield. Footage showed an MCV Evolution still in Centrebus livery which was badly burned. No reported injuries. No story on BBC website as yet, service will have been 262 as that's the only YT route that serves Mirfield.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

leedslad82

Just seen on tonight's Look North about a bus fire in Mirfield. Footage showed an MCV Evolution still in Centrebus livery which was badly burned. No reported injuries. No story on BBC website as yet, service will have been 262 as that's the only YT route that serves Mirfield.

http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/quick-thinking-driver-evacuates-bus-12689791
A quick-thinking bus driver evacuated passengers just moments before it burst into flames on Bellstring Lane, Upper Hopton.
Two passengers on the 262 Yorkshire Tiger service were safely evacuated before the single decker bus went up in flames just after 3pm on Friday.
The driver was alerted to an engine problem by a flashing warning light.
The fire started in the engine bay.
Story reads that it was on a 262 and driver evacuated 2 passengers who were on the bus when a warning light on his dashboard alerted him to an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
MCV Evolution 548 I believe.

As nobody was hurt, I feel I can say "good riddance!" to that dog of a bus. Zero leg-room and the apparent hill-climbing ability of me after 12 pints! Surprised to see it still in CB livery though, even had me wondering if the BBC had used archive footage from a previous incident!

Well played to the driver for quick reactions and getting everyone (both of them!) off safely.

Crossover

Established Member
Does anyone know which bus it was? I couldn't read the registration on the photo on the website

I followed a YT bus only a few weeks ago and not far from the site of this fire, which was "turtling" up the road and the driver waved me past. As I was only popping in somewhere I knew I'd end up up following it again later and wondered where it would be, only to find it "expired" at the bus stop near where I live! I have a feeling the registration of that particular one ended "XBU" but I may be completely wrong

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Does anyone know which bus it was? I couldn't read the registration on the photo on the website

I followed a YT bus only a few weeks ago and not far from the site of this fire, which was "turtling" up the road and the driver waved me past. As I was only popping in somewhere I knew I'd end up up following it again later and wondered where it would be, only to find it "expired" at the bus stop near where I live! I have a feeling the registration of that particular one ended "XBU" but I may be completely wrong

I'll be passing Waterloo depot tomorrow so I'll have a look, if it's been taken back there. I may also pass Honley depot if I use the train to get to the match, so I'll have a look there too.

If it's the one I think it is, it was one of the worst of the Evolutions at Waterloo- some of the newer ones (the 66x series) aren't all that bad.

Crossover

Established Member
I'll be passing Waterloo depot tomorrow so I'll have a look, if it's been taken back there. I may also pass Honley depot if I use the train to get to the match, so I'll have a look there too.

If it's the one I think it is, it was one of the worst of the Evolutions at Waterloo- some of the newer ones (the 66x series) aren't all that bad.

Not been on any for a while, but the YT stuff always strikes me as being "bags of bolts" for some reason. Maybe still remembering back to Tracky days!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Not been on any for a while, but the YT stuff always strikes me as being "bags of bolts" for some reason. Maybe still remembering back to Tracky days!

They have improved, but I know what you mean. I encountered this hasty repair with a South Western twist last year:

As an update, there was no sign of the vehicle at Honley depot (there was a burnt-out wreck, but it was of a Solo!). Didn't notice it at Waterloo but I was on the phone as I passed.

Attachments

• 20160730_211317.jpg
    20160730_211317.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

Crossover

Established Member
Seems another Tiger bus has barbarqued itself today somewhere round Horbury Bridge. Only seen things on Facebook thus far so don't have a direct link to anything for now

Crossover

Established Member
http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co....estroyed-in-blaze-in-west-yorkshire-1-8534961

Yorkshire Evening Post said:
A BUS was destroyed in a blaze in the Horbury area of Wakefield today.
Fire crews were called just after 6.30pm tonight (Tues May 9) to deal with the bus, which was on fire on Quarry Hill at its junction with Highfield Road in Horbury.
The single decker orange Yorkshire Tiger bus was destroyed in the blaze. A West Yorkshire Fire Service spokesman said crews from stations in Ossett and Dewsbury were alerted following a 999 call.
Simon Finnie, managing director of Yorkshire Tiger, said: “We can confirm that there was an incident this evening with a fire on one of our buses. "Although the 231 service was carrying passengers towards Wakefield at the time, the driver safely evacuated everybody on-board and we have no reported injuries.
"An internal investigation into the fire has started but as yet it's too early to determine the cause.”

Andyh82

Established Member
There are photos on Twitter, search for Look North's Ian White, he has retweeted them.

Status
Not open for further replies.