• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Yorkshire's railways - a map

Status
Not open for further replies.

YorksLad12

Established Member
Thanks both. Amends made, Yarm-Thornaby section redone. Not-in-Yorkshire labels being added. I think we're almost at First Edition status ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Worm

Which program did you use to create the map? I've getting SVG format in Inkscape vibes. My Okular PDF viewer can't even zoom on it beyond 125% it is so amazingly detailed!

YorksLad12

Established Member
Which program did you use to create the map? I've getting SVG format in Inkscape vibes. My Okular PDF viewer can't even zoom on it beyond 125% it is so amazingly detailed!
Yes, Inkscape as an SVG and saved as a PDF for InDesign. It's drawn on B0, but reduced to B1 in InDesign (only the key is with the map, the main title and Notes boxes are dne in InDesign). It is way larger than I was hoping it would be, thanks to the labels; mainly, thanks to all the renamings and the long names in the labels, and because I used full dates rather than 25-04-2021.

gtis

Hi
Good map but I think you missed
Wentworth and Tankersley and Wentworth and Hoyland Common during its life.
I think it’s between elsecar and chapeltown
Neil

randyrippley

Established Member
Shouldn't Morecambe a.k.a Bradford-on-Sea be on the map?
........certainly counts as an honorary part of Yorkshire :D

YorksLad12

Established Member
Hi
Good map but I think you missed
Wentworth and Tankersley and Wentworth and Hoyland Common during its life.
I think it’s between elsecar and chapeltown
Neil
So... where Wentworth is? There are no dates for the renamings so I can't really add them.

Shouldn't Morecambe a.k.a Bradford-on-Sea be on the map?
........certainly counts as an honorary part of Yorkshire :D
I blame our lazy forebears. They only had another 12 miles to go to reach the coast, instead of which they got frit of all the sheep and came back east o_O

unslet

I believe Middleton in Teesdale station was located on the Yorkshire side of the River Tees.

YorksLad12

Established Member
I believe Middleton in Teesdale station was located on the Yorkshire side of the River Tees.
Good grief, so it is (unless you've just updated Wikipedia, in which case...). I suppose being on the wrong (right!) side of the river was cheaper; it's only a branch line, why build a new bridge when you can let people walk across an existing one to get to/from the village?

Intercity 225

I have nothing to add in terms of content but just want to congratulate you on the work so far - very impressive.

YorksLad12

Established Member
Hi it’s not really a rename it’s a disused railway station
Neil
I think you missed the attachement in post #48 where Wentworth is shown, having myself spotted I'd missed it.

I have nothing to add in terms of content but just want to congratulate you on the work so far - very impressive.
Too kind. I'd rather have a paid job but this is filling the time. Or it was... barring a disaster I'm declaring this a First Edition as of Monday 3 May (my late mum's birthday). I've rectified the Yarm-Thornaby section, brought Middleton-in-Teesdale station into the fold and added the missing curve at Dore & Totley towards Chesterfield. Also added in Northallerton Lower Level. Out of county destinations have been added (not the ferries, sorry). Resisted the temptation to write "Terra Incognita" or "Here Be Savages" towards the west. Tidied up the Notes. Corrected the *huge* error in the Key that I only spotted while writing this post.

And here it is. Also used this to make a couple of corrections and changes to the West Riding MetroTrain map from a month or so ago. I'll probably get bored and try to change some of the gaps between lines and/or stations later, but for now... I'm having a celebratory curry :D

Attachments

• Yorkshire Stations 1.0.pdf
    273 KB · Views: 36

Pit_buzzer

I've spotted a minor spelling error, Tickhill & Wadsworth should read Tickhill & Wadworth, no 's'

Only spotted because I find it a fascinating map and keep coming back to it

YorksLad12

Established Member
I've spotted a minor spelling error, Tickhill & Wadsworth should read Tickhill & Wadworth, no 's'

Only spotted because I find it a fascinating map and keep coming back to it
Grr. South Yorkshire. I've had my curry, so I'll correct that.

Good work.

I think that Bawtry closed in the 1950s or 1960s, not 1903.
Grr. South Yorkshire. No idea why that one is wrong, even with my previous copy & paste errors.

What about the Stocksbridge branch from Deepcar? I don't think this was a light railway, though I am not sure if it was in public timetables. A bit of info on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stocksbridge_Railway.
Grr. There's a theme here... I thought it was just a goods line. Looking at the entry for Stocksbridge station it looks as if it was a private railway, and it doesn't appear in the 1906 Bradshaw on Timetable World.

zero

This is amazing, if I can make one suggestion, not sure if it will work, but I think the station names should be in a larger font size than the opening/closure dates. At the level of zoom required to read the names you lose the perspective of the surrounding tracks and stations

alistairlees

Established Member
Sticking with South Yorkshire, a couple of the Chapeltown stations appear to be spelled Chapletown.

YorksLad12

Established Member
This is amazing, if I can make one suggestion, not sure if it will work, but I think the station names should be in a larger font size than the opening/closure dates. At the level of zoom required to read the names you lose the perspective of the surrounding tracks and stations
Not an unreasonable suggestion; best I could do is take it up one point size though, and it will depend on the spacing. I will have to edit 750-ish labels...

Sticking with South Yorkshire, a couple of the Chapeltown stations appear to be spelled Chapletown.
Force of habit, I have similar problems with tabel and lable. Corrected.

Pit_buzzer

Sorry, more trouble from South Yorkshire, another surplus "s" at Arksey & Stocksbridge, it should be Arksey & Stockbridge
Really loving this map :)

YorksLad12

Established Member
Right: spellings pointed out above corrected (I hope) - thanks for those.
Brighouse shown in bold text (and thus open) - we all missed that.
Typo in the Notes done.

Station names... are now a whopping 20% larger (6pt instead of 5pt). The exceptions are where a station has been resited; the first version will still be in 5pt (my map, my rules). @zero will be checking over these as 'punishment' for suggesting it :E

It has led to a few spacing issues; some I sorted as I went along, some will need a minor redraw or line stretch just to make things more legible. No biggie. If anyone has more info on the dates of the various Thorne stations than I can find it would be appreciated. That part of the county seems to be bereft of basic date information while other areas go into huge detail.

It's Monday 3 May, and I did intimate I'd set today as the 'publication' date... so here it is.

Since the previous version I've corrected the area around Northallerton (the closed line I had was obviously open, and the junction order is correct now), and the Garforth-Castleford line now comes in differently to allow for the previous Castleford station being between it and the current one. Preston now spelled correctly, two station name sizes altered. Usual fiddling to try and improve spacing where possible.

And I'm done. Until the next update ;)

Attachments

• Yorkshire Stations 0.32.pdf
    282.7 KB · Views: 25
    431.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Veteran Member
Brilliant!
I particularly like the white-on-grey for foreign parts :) and the text explanation works well.

Now into nitpick mode:
I think you need to show Eaglescliffe - and I can't quite follow the routes you are showing in the Darlington-Eaglescliffe-Stockton area.
As you mention Kirkby Stephen East, should it be KS West on the S and C?

YorksLad12

Established Member
Brilliant!
I particularly like the white-on-grey for foreign parts :) and the text explanation works well.

Now into nitpick mode:
I think you need to show Eaglescliffe - and I can't quite follow the routes you are showing in the Darlington-Eaglescliffe-Stockton area.
As you mention Kirkby Stephen East, should it be KS West on the S and C?
I am a picker of nits myself, so have had many of the arguments already in my head.

I left it as Kirkby Stephen as that's the name it is now; all names are or should be what they are now or what they were when closed. Eaglescliffe... I nearly added. But I tried to be consistent in only naming out-of-county stations where the line passed out and back, while everything else was a "to..." label. That also meant I didn't have to name every 'first station out of Yorkshire'. Barnard Castle is obviously the odd one out, and should be a "to Barnard Castle and Darlington" label, in retrospect. I could reasonably also delete the line between Darlington and Stockton to clear that up? It's not Yorkshire, who cares? :D

alistairlees

Established Member
I just noticed that Marske appears to have acquired the 1985 opening date of Longbeck. It actually sometime in the 1860s...

YorksLad12

Established Member
I just noticed that Marske appears to have acquired the 1985 opening date of Longbeck. It actually sometime in the 1860s...
That must have been incorrect throughout. It's still 3 May though, so even with the minor amends I'm still calling it First Edition v1.0 ;)

Attachments

432.2 KB · Views: 7

D6130

Established Member
A wee bit more pedantry, I'm afraid......the original Yarm station was situated at the North end of the long viaduct across the Tees and therefore in County Durham - even though the town and the new station are in North Yorkshire. However this does not in any way detract from a marvellous piece of work for which you deserve great credit!

YorksLad12

Established Member
A wee bit more pedantry, I'm afraid......the original Yarm station was situated at the North end of the long viaduct across the Tees and therefore in County Durham - even though the town and the new station are in North Yorkshire. However this does not in any way detract from a marvellous piece of work for which you deserve great credit!
That's my misreading the Wikipedia entry; I thought you could see the old station from the new one. The dates for the original Yarm station will have to go and the label moved out of county (I'll have to adjust the border slightly as well). If I don't manage that in the next 53 minutes it'll be in version 1.1 ;)

... and here you go. Whoever wanted Eaglescliffe added: I get it now, and it is. The problem is that I have Thornaby straight ahead from Yarm and Stockton branching off to the left, whereas it shoukd be Stockton straight ahead and Thornaby branching off to the right. I ran out of space ages ago and I've confused myself several times on that junction.

Attachments

433.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Bevan Price

Established Member
Is it intentional that the Axholme Railway is omitted ? Although initially built as a (longish) light railway, it was taken over jointly by L&YR and NER, and ran passenger services until 1933, crossing into Lincolnshire near Thorne South.
Great map; wish I had the time (and ability/patience) to try something similar for Lancashire

RobertsN

Hi @YorksLad12,

Without any intent on critizising (wonderful work here!), I believe you might have missed out the route from York to Selby via Murton Lane (currently where the Derwent Valley Light Railway resides) and on through Elvington, Thorganby, etc.

Keep up the good work!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.