• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

You can't sit here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nym

Established Member
Must remember that one...

Also, a backpack with an unusually loud tick and some wires in it tends to help clear areas of trains.

That or just looking like me, apparently I can scare people with how I look and my attitude...

Seems to be a problem on 185s into Manchester were people will stand and block the entrances even when there are seats available, is rather irritating having to push past these idiots to get to one of the many free seats in the unit.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
aspierail, I'm sure they are well aware of what the actual rules are- but they've managed to cajole/bully other commuters into accepting (until the original poster in this thread came along) their own special rules. it is unfortunate, but bullying does not stop when you leave school.

pemma

Veteran Member
In Cheshire they discovered that putting some brass musicians playing their instruments on station platforms got rid of youths hanging about for no reason other than to cause trouble. I wonder if putting some in the trouble makers usual train carriage would have the same effect.

It's a pity Southeastern aren't like Northern with different rolling stock and different seating arrangements on same classes of train, meaning it would be virtually impossible for any to have their 'usual' seat.

Ivo

Established Member
Another tactic (that only works when it's cold) is to take a pair of shorts along and change into them from whatever you were wearing (if not already wearing said shorts) in time for when the train arrives. Sit near the people who cause this grievance, and watch as they will be massively put off by your wearing apparently summery clothing in low temperatures. If they complain about it, you complain about them - and if they are really put off by it they might just give the space up.

The one time I was in this situation was December 23rd 2010 (sad I know :lol:), and there was ice on the ground all over the south of the country - and it worked a charm on a very busy 357. In the end the group of people who were annoyed were ultimately thankful when I pointed out that we had arrived at their stop (Laindon) without them even realising...

TDK

Established Member
This happens quite often and if the servfice is DOO there isn't anyone to complain to. These type of people I have encountered before and to be honest they are just being awkward and think that they are a cut above the rest when in fact they certainly are not. It is like the passengers sitting on the aisle seat and leaving the window seat free also putting luggage an the seat nest to them to prevent anyone sitting there, it is unthoughtful and rude. You have every right to ask them why you cannot sit there and if they do not give a valid reason tell them that you are going to sit there and just sit there. There have been amny tongue in cheek bordering on childish comments on this thread but if you do some of the things suggested this will only cause you grief.

jon0844

Veteran Member
How about someone goes on the train and introduces themselves as a fan, who read about them on the Internet. Not here, obviously. Say you saw their photos on the blogs, and loved the videos of them telling other people the seats were reserved. Maybe add you're from the local paper (but don't be too clever as you don't want to be caught out).

Ask them some questions about why they always sit in the same place every day, and don't like anyone else to sit with them. Always be extra polite, and be loud enough to have the rest of the train listening in (even if pretending not to).

If they ask how you heard about them, just tell them it's one of the top hits on YouTube but be very vague. Then, after a while, say 'Maybe we can continue this chat same time, same place tomorrow?'

I'd be surprised if they sat in the same place tomorrow. I'd be surprised if they even got the same train.

Stewart

Errr, no.

We need to reduce the population of up themselves tw**s in this country, and this is helping...

Some of the suggestions in this thread are more likely to find the thread-starter decreasing in population :roll:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
And if there is no 'elsewhere'?

Unlikely.

EM2

Established Member
So it's perfectly justified for people to keep seats for their mates? When other passengers are having to stand because of them?
Alos, re-read the OP:
there was no other seats (other than the four empty ones) but the train was packed and I had to stand for about 70 minutes.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Unlikely.

Unlikely. I assume that you are one of the group involved on the train every morning who either benefit from having the seats kept for you or are one of the group who keep the seats for later? ;) That's how it seems to me.

Have you been on a packed commuter train where it is standing room only? No seats what so ever available? I assume not. This is a daily occurrence, no where near unlikely.

TP

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
For more clarity we should really hear the other side as to why they hold the seats back. Maybe they want them for a group of people who suffer from a similar complaint that makes standing for periods of time painful.
The first question really to ask is why they want to keep them.
If it is just a selfish thing then you need to stand up for yourself, as most on here said they would do, and assert you right to a free seat - that is if you don't mind a frosty journey.

To take a polecat by rail- it has to be in a bite proof cage (i.e one where it can't get it's teeth round the bars). It would be company for you on the journey and if they ask you if it bites you should say "No, but I do". They are nasty little blighters and if you should let it out you would no doubt face charges for the damage and injuries it would inflict. It works well enough kept in the cage, the smell, let alone the 'Keep Clear This Animal Bites' notice on the cage usually guarantee you plenty of space on even the most crowded of trains - and if you do lose the plot or feel threatened you can always let it loose.

Stewart

So it's perfectly justified for people to keep seats for their mates? When other passengers are having to stand because of them?
Alos, re-read the OP:

"Every morning on my train a group of about 6 commuters board the train which is quite busy"

Quite busy does not imply no other seats. Now I know some people like a table seat next to the aisle, but unless you make a reservation you can not just demand your favourite seat upon boarding.

EM2

Established Member
"Every morning on my train a group of about 6 commuters board the train which is quite busy"

Quite busy does not imply no other seats. Now I know some people like a table seat next to the aisle, but unless you make a reservation you can not just demand your favourite seat upon boarding.

Again, re-read the OP:
there was no other seats (other than the four empty ones)
And, as you say, you can not just demand your favourite seat, you must surely agree that this group cannot keep these seats for their mates boarding at the next station?

NSE

Established Member

You cannot reserve a single SE service (not too sure about HS1, but fairly certain you can't) and also, I'd disagree and say 'quite busy' would would imply no seats but plenty of standing room. I'm sure every single commuter especially in the South East will agree that all to often its a regular occurence to not have a single space to stand.

Established Member
Photograph or film them, discreetly.

Send it to the local paper, and to the Metro.

Make them look even stupider.

dlj83

I have an offer to report to someone from the company which I'll do tonight, and I sympathize with people who have no room to stand but annoyed with people that block seats with bags so others can't sit down.

6Gman

Established Member
When I was a child, in the days of compartment stock, I was trained to scratch myself when people glanced into the compartment looking for seats.

Worked.

:)

Muzer

Established Member
I have an offer to report to someone from the company which I'll do tonight, and I sympathize with people who have no room to stand but annoyed with people that block seats with bags so others can't sit down.
Sadly, I'm guilty of this - I'm very forgetful so I would be bound to forget a bag should I put it in the overhead rack, and there's usually little legroom to put it by my feet comfortably, so I put it on the seat next to me in our usually quite empty train. But if the train starts to fill up or I can see people are looking for seats, I usually do put it by my feet so people don't feel I'm trying to "reserve" the seat/being unsociable.

Just saying that not all people who put bags on seats are doing it because they don't want people sitting next to them. I would never do it on a train that is moderately full, let alone "standing room only", of course.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
In the end the group of people who were annoyed were ultimately thankful when I pointed out that we had arrived at their stop (Laindon) without them even realising...

I think you missed a trick there.... <D

Gwenllian2001

God almighty. What is wrong with people who are trying to work out a way to sit in a vacant seat? All you have to do is SIT in the bloody thing; that's what it's there for. There are no rules; written or unwritten. Grow up for Heaven's sake. There is nothing rude or aggresive about asking someone to move their bag; computer; feet; dog or anything else from a vacant seat. Just get on with it or write to some Agony Aunt, who will probably refer you to a psychiatrist for treatment; during which time you will not be required to go to work. At the end of your treatment you will have to face the same problem and will, probably, never be able to board a train again and, eventually, have to face a Tribunal. They will tell you that you are fit for work and withdraw all Benefits. You then have to force yourself to board a train, which has vacant seats ................

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I trust that we all had a good laugh reading some of the suggestions, me included.

That said, I have to agree with the opinion that despite sounding quite fun to carry out, some of the suggestions are not necessarily going to help resolve the matter. I am compelled to point out that there is a potential element of risk involved with some of the suggested actions, and that if said group were easily wound up, or one coach short of a 153 (using Mojo's words), then the OP could find himself in a situation which is not very pleasant to say the least.

I think the message is "don't stoop to their level". Be polite but firm, however the additional dramatics on top are not really necessary.

millemille has offered a constructive solution and it is worth considering imo.

BestWestern

Established Member
...Just saying that not all people who put bags on seats are doing it because they don't want people sitting next to them. I would never do it on a train that is moderately full, let alone "standing room only", of course.

It is simple politeness for people with bags on seats but who aren't 'hogging', to make some effort to maintain an awareness of how busy the train is and remove them before being asked. I'm pleased to hear that at least one person out there does that, any chance you could train the rest?!

Having said that, it does frustrate me when you get somebody screaming at you that "that man there has had a bag on his seat the whole way..." etc when you pass through the train, and it transpires that they have made absolutely no effort whatsoever to actually ask the person to move it. It's as if they think the only person who could possibly ask them is the Guard, and until he appears they'll say nothing. Better still are the ones who scowl at you whilst moaning about it, as if you are personally responsible! The same applies of course to music and so on. You have a tongue, do feel free to use it :roll:

I will always make announcements when we're busy asking people to shift their bags, advising them of where the racks are, and sometimes will extend it to suggest that if somebody takes no notice their fellow passengers should feel free to ask them in person!

4SRKT

Established Member
Managing to get a seat on the very busy 17:26 Leeds > Skipton last night I remembered this thread and put my laptop up on the rack from the seat where I'd left it. That said nobody sat next to me, which seems quite common on 3+2 stock: quite a few middle seats were empty at the front of the train, with barely room to stand at the back.

wessex

Had a guy yesterday on a southern train mimicking a chinese lad on his phone, I asked him if he was feeling alright, he said he hated people using phones on trains, I told him that he was annoying me and probably everyone else with his loud mumblings, he stormed off and started banging his bike about by the doors.

I went and informed the guard that there was a guy acting erratically in the first carriage, he calmed down upon arrival of the guard, he asked the guard "arent phones banned on trains?" to wich the guard replied "no" then the guards phone rang which made me chuckle.

He got off at worthing to get on another coach but failed to get on in time to the amusement of myself and the guard.

he was quite well dressed but looked like a grumpy drunk that was sober, you do get some weird characters on the railway and I dont just mean staff :D

stuart

Maybe the railways have something to learn from airlines? A few years ago I was sitting on the Edinburgh-Heathrow shuttle on a busy morning when an announcement was made: "Please place your bags in the overhead lockers sideways in order to leave space for the remaining passengers".

I'm sure she meant "for the remaining passengers' luggage" but the more literal interpretation gave me a smile on an otherwise dull journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.