• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

You can't sit here

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlj83

Every morning on my train a group of about 6 commuters board the train which is quite busy and they keep empty 4 seats so another group can join them at the next station.

I've heard them say to people when someone has been in these seats "your sitting in the wrong place" and earlier one said to me "You are not allowed to sit here" there was no other seats (other than the four empty ones) but the train was packed and I had to stand for about 70 minutes.

I was wondering what are the rules here, am I allowed to sit down (the seats are not reserved) just this is a daily occurrence and I've paid 4.300 for my ticket and id like a seat if ones available.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
So long as the seats are not reserved, and they're of the same class as your ticket you may sit where you like.

I would be having a word with the guard about this one. If a few people raise it, and/or its clearly happening everyday then guards keep each other informed about these kinds of things.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
What route are you on? And what company?

If there are no seat reservations and it isn't first class then you should tell them to 'do one' and sit there they have no right to do that.

dk1

Veteran Member
I would make a bee line for them seats every day just to p*ss them off. How arrogant they are.

Spagnoletti

Every morning on my train a group of about 6 commuters board the train which is quite busy and they keep empty 4 seats so another group can join them at the next station.

I've heard them say to people when someone has been in these seats "your sitting in the wrong place" and earlier one said to me "You are not allowed to sit here" there was no other seats (other than the four empty ones) but the train was packed and I had to stand for about 70 minutes.

I was wondering what are the rules here, am I allowed to sit down (the seats are not reserved) just this is a daily occurrence and I've paid 4.300 for my ticket and id like a seat if ones available.

Sit there, don't move, and see what happens.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Oh and welcome to the forum btw, enjoy!

I agree with above, if they are wrong, play them at their own game.

dlj83

What route are you on? And what company?

If there are no seat reservations and it isn't first class then you should tell them to 'do one' and sit there they have no right to do that.

All I'll say about company is southeastern. I think from tomorrow I'll make a point of getting on the same doors and sitting down next to them, I don't mind giving up my seat to a disabled person regardless of where I sit. But get a bit wary of people who seem like they could get confrontational.

Yew

Established Member
I would make a bee line for them seats every day just to p*ss them off. How arrogant they are.

I agree, its one thing asking someone to move as others are joining you, (as long as there other seats available) But pretending they have the rules on their side is another thing.

Pumbaa

Established Member
Instead, why not ask to see the ticket for the empty seat to remain empty? Anyone is entitled to sit there.

island

Veteran Member
If the seat doesn't have a reservation (and on Southeastern, it won't) it's fair game.

MCR247

Established Member
Arghh, hate people like that and like said above, I would always try to sit there just to annoy them

GadgetMan

As above, but try and find 3 other like minded people so you can ensure all 4 empty seats are taken up.:D

londonbridge

Established Member

Can you just clarify something? What if there aren't ten seats together when they get on? Or are you saying when they board they tell people who are already sitting to move so that they can have a block of seats together?

Anyway,just sit there and refuse to move.

455driver

Veteran Member
Sit there and when they say "you cant sit there" ask why not and see what the answer is,.I wouldnt move anyway.

Aictos

Established Member
Sit there and when they say "you cant sit there" ask why not and see what the answer is,.I wouldnt move anyway.

Yes do this, I've had this before - was meeting one of my friends who was getting on at St Neots so I sat using a pair of airline seats as there was plenty of seats available (think it was a 8 car Class 321 anyway).

When the train stopped at St Neots, some passenger said I want to sit there - told them politely it was going to be used and there were plenty of other seats available as my friend and I wanted to sit together on the train and using a pair of airline seats gave us this option.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Get your electric shaver out , read a book and laugh loudly ....

(should do the trick - neither are against the by - laws !)

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
My advice in this circumstance is to be an awkward person, as others say, just sit down, preferably blocking one of the people in (if their in the window, sit in the aisle) - if they ask you to get up, refuse, ask why, turn their answer on its head - if they say there is a group getting on at the next stop, say 'tough, they'll have to stand then' etc. What would be even better is if you were to find 4 other like minded people to group up on their empty seats and really get on their nerves day in day out. They might just start carrying more luggage! :lol: <D

TP

tsr

Established Member
Wear an orange hi-vis jacket.

"You can't sit..." [notices jacket] "...sorry, no, I wasn't saying anything."

I don't think that's against the Byelaws!

You could also argue this Byelaw:

10(2): No person shall be in or on any train except the parts of it intended for use by that person.

A ticket does not mean that more than one seat is intended for use by the holder of said ticket (assuming the ticket is valid, etc., etc.).

Sit down and look at them directly, smiling all the time. Guaranteed to wind them up.

They wont be able to keep eye contact.

Will they think you're slightly unbalanced? Maybe, but that just adds to the fun.

jopsuk

Veteran Member

That's plain and simple bullying. Don't let so-called grownups get away with it.

Ivo

Established Member
Does this other group ever not turn up? What would they do if that happened - still insist on keeping the seats vacant?

Ridiculous. On a quiet service, maybe; on a busy one, well...

I always try to be as calm as possible on the daily commute. Reflecting back at when I've seen the occassional petty arguments over armrests, windows open etc I'm glad not to have been a part of them as the participants have looked a bit silly.

But if this was me, I'd be so tempted in this situation to say loudly "Why dont you just #### off and get over yourselves?"

Jolly rude I know, and it adds nothing to informed debate or quality of life. But it would be ever so satisfying.

4SRKT

Established Member
Take an enthusiast friend with you and talk loudly about obscure aspects of the railway. A few minutes of conversation peppered with words/phrases like 'DBSO', 'buckeye coupling', 'RETB' and 'axle hung traction motors' should clear the whole carriage, never mind this group of seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.