• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

You May Be Intrested In This...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Snap

Established Member
Nitro said:
I did press F5 on numerous occasions but I got it working now. Guess its something to do with uninstalling IE7 which also didnt let me extract exe. files or even open them :rolleyes:. Now for a few sugestions/comments.;) First of all I belive AWBs also have AWS magnets and whats the max speed your allowed in the yard 10 or 15mph. Also sad to see stage 1 (good thing I still have it) altho with the new "Richwell Network" download you dont get the Voyager or 321 run.. Anyway top marks to you and Bill for a very good update.

Hey, thanks Nitro, and Richard. There may be a Voyager scenario in Stage 3, as Stage 3 and 4 have now switched places!

I hope this isn't confusing, but what I called Stage 3 (from Richwell to Naughton passing the preserved railway) is now Stage 4. What was Stage 4 (from Richwell to Elm Green and Two Trees) is now Stage 3; therefore the next release will be from Richwell to Elm Green. This line will be a single line and will have bigger distances between stops, allowing for the driver to reach higher speeds... ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nitro

Now that I ve finally finished the run I have found another couple of minor mistakes ;). Firstly the home signal at Fairfiled Road shows a green aspect but you get an AWS warning sound and not the the little 'bing' sound. Secondly at Naughton Airport on the approach to the station there a 25mph AWB but after the station theres a 5mph PSR. But like I said they are very minor mistakes and have only been said as constructive critisism. Really like the new timetables though. :p

66's are evil

I'd just like to say a few things about this update. The class 158 timtable doens't display, there still isn't a speed limit when you cross over lines on the approach to Fairfield Road (you are permitted to stay at the line speed-40mph over the points, resulting in a number of compensation claims from my passengers for their injuries!) and the advance speed restiction signs are not properly coded, ie the horn doesn't sound in the cab.

I am an experienced bve player, but i found myself puzzled at what speed i should be doing at various stages, resulting in 2 automatic brake applications.

Having had the Ramsbury route for bve 2, this is essentially very similar, with the identical platforms and passengers and the same scenary (please correct me if i'm wrong.

From the good reviews that people were submitting, (and i gave the route high praise in other forums under the guise of RichardBrown) i am quite disappointed with the update and i feel that it has hardly been improved.

Sorry if i'm being harsh, but i hope you will see that my criticism is constuctive.

All the best
Richard (not another Richard!)

P.S. nutter beat me to the timetable issue as i was writing!

Nitro

66's are evil said:
I'd just like to say a few things about this update. The class 158 timtable doens't display, there still isn't a speed limit when you cross over lines on the approach to Fairfield Road (you are permitted to stay at the line speed-40mph over the points, resulting in a number of compensation claims from my passengers for their injuries!) and the advance speed restiction signs are not properly coded, ie the horn doesn't sound in the cab.

I am an experienced bve player, but i found myself puzzled at what speed i should be doing at various stages, resulting in 2 automatic brake applications.

Having had the Ramsbury route for bve 2, this is essentially very similar, with the identical platforms and passengers and the same scenary (please correct me if i'm wrong.

From the good reviews that people were submitting, (and i gave the route high praise in other forums under the guise of RichardBrown) i am quite disappointed with the update and i feel that it has hardly been improved.

Sorry if i'm being harsh, but i hope you will see that my criticism is constuctive.

All the best
Richard (not another Richard!)

P.S. nutter beat me to the timetable issue as i was writing!

I do think you are abit harsh as the platform arent the same and I know Rich has put alot of effort in it but there are still a few minor glitches to fix and yes it has been improved alot as now you dont get a green through the depot! Thats my opinnion anyway...

The Snap

Established Member
Thanks for your comments 66's are evil, and I can understand where you are coming from. However, in my defence, I can say that the timetables do show at my end, I had problems, so it must be your directives. I think if you change the slashes to the opposite way round, you'll be OK.

Secondly, that crossover before Fairfield Rd shouldn't be a problem for passing over, as you should have slowed down for the red signal a few metres before. As you approached it, it will have clear, and indicated a crossover, therefore you should have maintained your slow speed which you were doing when slowing for the red signal. ;)

The speed restrictions are now more suitable for the route, and are placed in the correct positions, indicating how fast you should be going. If you miss the speed board whilst doing something else, you should pay more attention! :p If you still disagree, please let me know where you think speed boards could be placed.

Finally, I know the stations look the same, and I myself regret that. I think they look rather boring, however at the time of the original coding my object modification skills were poor. I am working on modifying the stations, and can assure you that the next release will feature more different, unique stations...

Thanks,

66's are evil

Thanks for responding to my opinions, Rich, obviously, your route will develop as your coding skills improve, and i (and hopefully all bve players) will give you great acclaim for what you have done so far as i know you haven't been a developer for very long.

Best wishes for future bve developments, i look forward to sampling your next work.
Cheers
Richard

Tomnick

Established Member
Rich said:
Secondly, that crossover before Fairfield Rd shouldn't be a problem for passing over, as you should have slowed down for the red signal a few metres before. As you approached it, it will have clear, and indicated a crossover, therefore you should have maintained your slow speed which you were doing when slowing for the red signal. ;)
Should still be a speed restriction over it really! The approach-controlled signal ensures that the driver is slowing down sufficiently so as to be able to comply with the PSR, but it shouldn't be a replacement for the PSR. I've not (yet!) been able to drive the route (waiting until I go home next weekend for that pleasure!), so I don't know the details - but assuming for argument's sake it's a 20mph crossover, the driver could easily bring the train nearly to a stand at the protecting signal, and be exceeding 20mph by quite a margin by the time the rear of the train's clear!

Looking forward to having a look at this one anyway :) .

The Snap

Established Member
Tomnick said:
Should still be a speed restriction over it really! The approach-controlled signal ensures that the driver is slowing down sufficiently so as to be able to comply with the PSR, but it shouldn't be a replacement for the PSR. I've not (yet!) been able to drive the route (waiting until I go home next weekend for that pleasure!), so I don't know the details - but assuming for argument's sake it's a 20mph crossover, the driver could easily bring the train nearly to a stand at the protecting signal, and be exceeding 20mph by quite a margin by the time the rear of the train's clear!

Looking forward to having a look at this one anyway :) .

Yeah, but the gap between the signal and points isn't much, and if the driver notices the feather lit, he should keep his speed low anyway, I'd have though. ;)

Tomnick

Established Member
Not really, he's quite entitled to accelerate to linespeed having received a clear signal - British signals don't carry 'speed' information, just information on the route set and state of line ahead, so the speed over the points should still be indicated separately :) .

66's are evil

"but assuming for argument's sake it's a 20mph crossover, the driver could easily bring the train nearly to a stand at the protecting signal, and be exceeding 20mph by quite a margin by the time the rear of the train's clear!"

That's the sort of reasoning i was implying, i got up to 40-50 mph leaving the points!

It's easy if your in something like the class 323!

Bill EWS

Hi,
Ths cross over at Failrfield IS 15 mph and with the length of the train remains 15 mph until you come to a stand at Fairfield Road Stn. I made the timings for this allowance. I mentioned a 15 mph speed board object but Richard has overlooked this for now. This crossover isn't suitable for any higher speed, unless Richard replaces it with a longer set of points. Because of the gradient you can increase speed from the signal prior to this to 20 mph and shut power off to run down the bank, slowly bring speed down to 15 mph (No. 1 application only) as you reach the crossover. Speed will increase as soon as you release the brakes and you will have to 'rub the brakes' (using first notch appliciation) two or three times until the front of the cab is midway through the crossover, then it will keep speed until you stop in the station.

Likewise, the 25 mph speed restriction between Great William Park and Brentwood is cleared when the front of the 156 is between the 60 mph board and the bridge, where you can start applying full power. With the 158 the front of the cab is level with the back end the first coal wagon on the left. With the Cl66 freight you will be level with the stop blocks of the goods lines when you clear the back end.

With both the 25 and 40 mph restrictions you will probably need to apply one or two notches of power to keep speeds on the binding curves but keep an eye on the speedo as you come off the curves as speed will increase.

The 158 is quite different from the 156 and the subtle difference in the two timetables allow for this. However, both require four notches of power before they really get going from a standing start and in to top notch from 15 mph. The 158 gains with excelleration above 40 mph.

For the run up to the Fairfield Crossover control signal, you can hold the speed at 40 mph right up to the single yellow at Aston Market and shut of power half way down the platform and apply two notches of brake at the single yellow and be at 25 mph at the AWS ramp and then slowly come down for a 10-15 mph creep up to the signal, when it will clear on approach. Then you can increase speed to 20 mph as explained above and handle the brake accordingly for the steep grade.

N.B. Only in BVE are you guaranteed that a signal will clear on approach! On the real railway there is no such thing as a guarantee that a signal will clear, even if it often does. You must always be prepard to be stopped. No if's or maybe's. Don't let anyone tell you any different, no matter how high up the tree they may be. Yes, they will try!

From Fairfeild Road to Naughton you get the fastest run over the route. You can really go for it. The 156 will reach appx 65 mph before the single yellow and the 158, probably, 70 mph. The 321 unit will almost touch 80 mph. Next cruise down to the 40 mph warning board and slowly bring the speed down for the restriction board, when all brakes should be released. You may have to apply one notch of power to keep speed but shut off as soon as you reach the mark and cruise into Naughton. You can be doing 30 mph as you pass the Jumbo jet on the left, in the airport then be doing 20 mph half way along the platform and aim (1 & 2 brake notches) to stop on the mark.The stopping point is almost level with 'end' the white text on the side of the second last coach of the train on the opposite platform.

If you practice these moves you should be able to keep time within reason. You can still do this and keep 'Mr. grumble' (BVE 2) smiling, just go easy with the braking. One and Two notches really do work well. Notch three is 'emergency' and should never be used unless seriously neccessary. If you have to go into emergency brake position then you are not in control of your train.

I hope that this helps.

Here is a question for you! "How long is a speed check"?

Whoever gives the correct answer will be given a free copy of the Richwell Route!!!

Cheers.

Bill EWS.

The Snap

Established Member
Thanks for that Bill, Tomnick and 66's are evil. I may make the points longer, or alternatively put a speed restriction over the point. ;) Watch out for a newer release soon, as I've already started work on changing the look of the stations, as you thought they were all the same, which I tend to agree with. GWP has been completely modified, and looks much better in my opinion. :D

Tom B

Established Member
Bill EWS said:
N.B. Only in BVE are you guaranteed that a signal will clear on approach! On the real railway there is no such thing as a guarantee that a signal will clear, even if it often does. You must always be prepard to be stopped. No if's or maybe's. Don't let anyone tell you any different, no matter how high up the tree they may be. Yes, they will try!

It is possible for a signal in BVE modelled to clear upon approach to *not* clear at times - either by some clever coding or due to very early running.

Dennis

Established Member
Cockfosters said:
It is possible for a signal in BVE modelled to clear upon approach to *not* clear at times - either by some clever coding or due to very early running.

Randomising the route run interval should have this effect (although I always seem to get the same random numbers generated).

ChrisCooper

Established Member
I suppose you could put a random delay on the departure time for the "station" that is used to hold the signal at danger. The signal will then remain at danger until the time is reached. Since most of the time when a junction signal remains at danger it is because a conflicting movement is signalled, the departure time will reflect the time that the conflicting movement clears the junction and your route is set up, at which time the signal will clear, if you are close enough to it.

The Snap

Established Member
This is mainly for 66's are evil as he is the one that complained about the stations being the same. I've been updating and modified the stations along the line, and have completed all up to King Edwards. Here are two of them:

Great William Park - Before

Great William Park - After

King Edwards - Before

King Edwards - After

What do you think?

(Thanks to Jordy for doing the 'Before' screenshots! :D)

EDIT: Oops! I have just realised, when you guys say the timetables don't work in the Class 158 route, it's becasue there is no timetable line in the code! I'll have a look and sort it ASAP!

Bill EWS

Hi again everyone,
It is intersting reading your latest comments and reaction to Richard's updates and that there is on going discusion and suggestions to eventually get the Naughton subsidiary signal working correctly.r . In regard to speeds, the first thing is that UK signalling tells the driver where they are going. Speeds are part of their route knowledge and should be inside their heads and like a 'moving block' should be thinking ahead to the next speed restriction or to where to start increasing speeds etc. Therefore they should always know where they are and what speed they should be doing at that moment. Therefore e.g. taking the crossover at Fairfield Road, you should already know what speed you should be down to for the crossover. The signal is just telling you that it is OK to carry on and the No. 1 direction feather telling you that you will be taking the first lefthand crossover ahead.

When route learning for the first time a driver should be sussing out the 'slowest' speeds over the route first, not the fastest. Safety comes first. Anyone can drive fast but it isn't much use if you suddenly run into a seriously slow speed check or pass a red signal. A train isn't a racing car and when you are driving you are not in a race. Passing through the sections as smartly as possible without breaking any rule or regulation or delaying proceding trains, is the aim.

Then learn the stations by name and correct rotation, signalboxes & junctions and station and yard layouts. Break the route into sections and learn as much about the layout of the railway and the lay of the land as possible. Each 'booked' route at a depot is given a minimum period for learning and once you have signed that you know the route you are taking full responsibility for anything that may go wrong, that you are responsible for. A serious to step to take. There are official railway books on routes and Rules and Regulations to assist you with. Remember, the signals regulate the railway, the driver regulates the train. No amount of red signals are going to stop the train if the driver doesn't apply the brakes.

BVE is a bit different being a simulation and very much a game, but it is so well programmed that there is an excellent feeling of driving a real train. Thanks too to the lads who produce the trains and who have built in the individual power to weight ratios of each class of train (Shouldn't that be 'locomotive'! The locomotive is the power and the 'train' is what it hauls behind)!

A tip for learning a new route is to use the 'Station Jump' mode. When you jump to a station not only do you get the arrival time but the train is standing at it's correct stopping position. Use the frame of the driver's window to take in objects close to the window frame, both sides. and remember them for stopping next time. Station stopping boards (numbers or 'S') are a little difficult as you are not seeing things in true 3-D and have to mentally allow for the depth between yourself and the outside face of your loco or unit. Where you have stop marks on the ground it is easier as you can visually measure the distance between the bottom of the driver's window and the board.

For stopping carry out some test runs by running the train up to maximum speed and apply one or two applications and note how long it takes to stop and at what rate. This stopping rate and distance will be virtually constant and you can take a mental note and add it to any setting along the route and know pretty much where you can stop at any one time.
You will soon find that you will seldom have to apply the 'emergency' position, and of course, shouldn't need to.

All this will increase your route knowledge and enjoy your BVE driving more.

Regards.

Bill EWS.

The Snap

Established Member
Coxster said:
The platform texture is not of very good quality IMHO. The platform texture in the second 'after shot' is very good.

Yes, the platform texture appears blured. But, I can sort that. At least you lke the King Edwards one...! :D

The Snap

Established Member
Nitro said:
I see the rail texture has changed for the better ;).

Thanks! I too like the new rail textures, they are very nice. Courtesy of Tony H, and yes I do have permission. :D ;)

Tom B

Established Member
Nice shots - a little more distinctiveness helps the route learning process.

I think the problem at GWP looks to be caused by using too few colours on the palatte - try using a 24 bit bitmap.

TAS

Looking great, should help me to learn the route if they are all very distinctive.
Thomas

nutter

I never noticed the track, that looks really good.
I'll be honest, when I first saw the GWP i didn't notice any differance. If you can sort the new platform texture out it will look great

The Snap

Established Member
nutter said:
I never noticed the track, that looks really good.
I'll be honest, when I first saw the GWP i didn't notice any differance. If you can sort the new platform texture out it will look great

Texture is sorted, found a random pic in my HD and decided it would be fine. I am working on Brentwood as we speak, so once that is complete, the whole first few stations will be very distinguishable from each other.
(BTW: I'm just waiting for a permission to be granted by Dennis...where is he?:p )

Chris

Nice improvements there Rich, I especially like the wall on King Edward. Like others say they'll help learn the route.8-)

The Snap

Established Member
As I said above, I'm now working on Brentwood, and massive changes and improvements can be promised here...
Hopefully, I'll release Stage 2 v2.5 soon, with completely different stations...:)

Derek Kaye

On the topic of randomly clearing signals, a tecnique that I am incorprating into the next release of my route for request stops and other features could be implememnted.
This is to make use of the BRR language and create BRF files which you can set percentage chances of things happening and what happens if it does or doesn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.