• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

You May Be Intrested In This...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Snap

Established Member
Yep, it's the Richwell Network Stage 2 v2. If you would like to download the route, please visit www.bveroutes-trains.co.uk/richwell.html .
The route has been updated with brand new working timetables, more accurate speed limitations and more precise timings. With the help of 'Bill EWS', I have been able to code some accurate speed restrictions, and have updated the signaling at Naughton Airport to allow for shunting and real BR shunting movements. Please do read the ReadMe, as it gives the procedure which you must undertake before passing the signal at Naughton Airport Depot.
Please use the following procedure to take the train past the signal just before the Depot. This procedure is correct for the moment, however due to BVE limitations, I am unable to code the shunt signals correctly. Thanks to Bill for the full list below:

List of Operations to Do Before Passing Signal at Naughton Airport
(You MUST do the following steps in the order they are shown.)

- Bring the train to a stand at the signal.
- Put the reverser into 'neutral' then press the Page Down key, to isolate the TPWS.
This will completely isolate the TPWS.
- Once the TPWS is isolated you can release the brake, place the reverser into forward and drive the train onto the depot.
- The square yellow light will light to show isolation is operative.

I would like to thanks all of those involved in the update, and of course the route, especially Bill. :)

Enjoy,

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Coxster

Established Member
Why do epople have to isolate the TPWS? The train shouldn't be running if you just isolate it for no reason what so ever...

The Snap

Established Member
Coxster said:
Why do epople have to isolate the TPWS? The train shouldn't be running if you just isolate it for no reason what so ever...

To enter a depot in real life, you must use the shunt signals rather than mainline ones. Maybe Bill can explain more...:D

EDIT: *Goes and gets Bill to post an explanation...*

Coxster

Established Member
Rich said:
To enter a depot in real life, you must use the shunt signals rather than mainline ones. Maybe Bill can explain more...:D

EDIT: *Goes and gets Bill to post an explanation...*
No reason for you to isolate the TPWS though IIRC.

Met Driver

Established Member
I'm fairly sure you wouldn't need to isolate the TPWS to pass a shunt signal which has been cleared. If the signal has failed, or for some reason cannot be cleared, then it'd probably be necessary to push the train stop override button before proceeding. Correct me if I'm wrong here...

Bill EWS

Hi there,
I have been working with Rich to get his signals as correct as possible and he has managed to place a working Subsidiary Shunt signal to the main signal at Naughton. Possibly the first working subsidiary signal in BVE Routes! However, BVE appears to continue treating this signal as a 'Red' and dumps the TPWS as if this was a SPAD. Neither Rich nor I know how to edit the data to correct this. If anyone can help we would appreciate that very much.

As you may know, I am a recentrly retired EWS driver and with my knowledge the only way to get Richs' train to move was to isolate the TPWS and get the train into the yard. YOU would NOT isolate the TPWS in these circumstances, this is purely to get the 'BVE' train moving until we resolve the signalling probelm.

My instructions to Rich are:

Pull up and stop at the signal.
Place the reverser to 'neutral'
Press the 'Page Down' key to isolate the TPWS
The small 'round yellow light will light up to prove this.
Now you can release the brake, put the reverser into forward and apply power to draw the train into the depot.

I hope that explains the situation and that you will enjoy using Rich's excellent BVE route.

Regards.

Bill.
P.S. Thanks for pointing out the error. Sorry Rich.

Coxster

Established Member
Chris? Don't you mean Richard ;) I didn't think you'd normally overide it in yards - cheers for confirming that.

The Snap

Established Member
Coxster said:
Chris? Don't you mean Richard ;) I didn't think you'd normally overide it in yards - cheers for confirming that.

Chris??? Richard, Bill, it's Richard! :D :p Damon, I sort of knew this, but thought it better for Bill to explain, seen as though he knows the Class 66 and shunting movements like the back of his hand! :D I would not normally isolate the TPWS, as it is dangerous I supose, but until Mackoy gets shunt signaling sorted, we'll have t do this. ;)

Bill EWS

Hi again,
I did try just making a temporay isolation of the TPWS as this allows you 60 seconds to make a move past a failed signal or into an engineering section when authorised. However, in BVE it reset itself too fast, therefore I decided to just isolate it and make things easier for you all.

From what you say it looks as if this is a BVE problem but I was wondering if this could be overcome by making the signal simply an 'object, not linked to the BVE signalling and just accept that the signal image is showing a shunt ahead aspect!! Anyone confirm that possibility! However, it would be nice if the signal could be made to work properly as it would allow you to daw up to the signal and then continue moving into the yard or siding much as you do on the real railway.

Richard has done an excllent job and makes driving the route much more realistic and rewarding. Incorrect signalling in BVE is one of my pet hates and I would be pleased to help improve this wherever possible. The main thing to remember is that YOU cannot go from a Mainline Aspect to a ground signal. It's just not allowed. Neither can you have a green or yellow aspect with a direction feather to go into a deadend section of track. Richard's earlier goods train was a good example where you got a single yellow and the feather to run into the refuse line to terminate the train. This is a real NO, NO. As there is now, at Naughton, you should be brought to a stand or near to a stand at the signal and a subsidiary signal 'two white lights at an angle' also with a number or letter indicating to the driver where he/she is going, should be used and you should always have a single yellow to a red up to that control signal. Double yellow, single yellow to red if the line allows.

Having a ground signal with red aspect (such as with the modern optical fibre shunt signals) is also a No, No in front of a running train. Any such signal must be showing two white lights. There are a few BVE routes where you are running full speed on the mainline and suddenly find yourself passing a red ground signal. In reality the driver should stop there and then not move again (Game Over). Neither can you use a ground signal as a junction signal on a main line. You don't have time to stop at such signals, which is why you have subsidiary shunt signals at main signals.

At large stations you will have seen numerous ground signals, but have you ever taken notice that every one of those signals which are part of a booked train's main path, will ALL be showing white lights. Never 'red'. In these circumstances the 'white' ground signals are merely 'proving signals'. Proving that the correct route is set and the driver, with his considerable route knowledge will be following each of these lights in his/her mind as they run past just to prove to him/herself that everything is in order. But the chances of stopping at any which had failed and showing red is next to zero. However they are all tied up with the signalling system and unless they failed after the route had been set and the train approaching, the signal people would have had indication of the failure and the train stopped well beforehand.

I hope this gives you some room for thought and I know that making such changes once a BVE route has been completed is quite a task and my comments may be taken aboard when starting a route from fresh. But please understand that I will NEVER criticise and my comments only to prove a point that may help to make things better.

Cheers.

Bill EWS.

Tomnick

Established Member
Impressed by Bill's post there! Now...as I understand BVE4, you can 'have different signal types, and define the aspects that that signal is capable of displaying (and general appearance) by having a separate .bmp file for each 'state'. Couldn't the signal in question be treated as a normal running signal as far as the code was concerned, but of a different 'type' to normal - in this case, the .bmp for any proceed aspect would have a red on the main head and two whites on the sub? You could check the train down to the signal by a '.sta' command a short distance in rear? This would also, of course, hold the signal at rear at a single yellow.

Sorry if that makes no sense - I know what I'm trying to say, but I'm having difficulty translating real life principles into BVE language!

Dennis

Established Member
Tomnick said:
Impressed by Bill's post there! Now...as I understand BVE4, you can 'have different signal types, and define the aspects that that signal is capable of displaying (and general appearance) by having a separate .bmp file for each 'state'. Couldn't the signal in question be treated as a normal running signal as far as the code was concerned, but of a different 'type' to normal - in this case, the .bmp for any proceed aspect would have a red on the main head and two whites on the sub? You could check the train down to the signal by a '.sta' command a short distance in rear? This would also, of course, hold the signal at rear at a single yellow.

Sorry if that makes no sense - I know what I'm trying to say, but I'm having difficulty translating real life principles into BVE language!

What you are stating there is absolutely correct, use the .sta command (with no door opening specified) to hold the shunt signal to a stop aspect until changing to proceed.

.BMP's already exist for ground (shunt) signals so it would be straightforward to put these in place of a conventional 2 aspect RG signal. (This might even already have been done in Maybank - can't remember.)

Just having a brief play around, I am happy that I can do this and as I need some shunt signals in the next few km's of the Clarendon route extension I will probably be making some in a couple of weeks time.

BTW - seeing Bills Didcot photos almost inspired me create the run into the discharge facility at Berkely power station, but the thought of crawling along at such slow speeds for an extended period of time put me off - I for one would never have the patience to drive through such a facility.

Tomnick

Established Member
Dennis said:
.BMP's already exist for ground (shunt) signals so it would be straightforward to put these in place of a conventional 2 aspect RG signal. (This might even already have been done in Maybank - can't remember.)
What's needed, is a main running signal displaying a red aspect, with a subsidiary signal associated with it - the two white lights will then illuminate while the 'main' red aspect remains lit. At all other times, the sub signal is completely unlit.

You couldn't use a standard ground position light signal though - as Bill rightly says, a single yellow at the signal in rear, means that the route's clear as far as the following running signal. So a running signal must be provided, even if it's just a fixed red aspect with two white lights underneath!

Dennis

Established Member
Tomnick said:
What's needed, is a main running signal displaying a red aspect, with a subsidiary signal associated with it - the two white lights will then illuminate while the 'main' red aspect remains lit. At all other times, the sub signal is completely unlit.

You couldn't use a standard ground position light signal though - as Bill rightly says, a single yellow at the signal in rear, means that the route's clear as far as the following running signal. So a running signal must be provided, even if it's just a fixed red aspect with two white lights underneath!

Sorry - I meant use the ground signal in conjunction with a fixed red main.

Tomnick

Established Member
Ahh, ok - that's more-or-less what I was thinking of! The only problem is - a position light signal associated with a running signal will usually not be illuminated at all...they're only capable of displaying the two whites as required.

Ca55ie

What Tomnick's trying to get at is, the red aspect that you'd find on a normal shunt signal is provided by the main colour light signal above it. When the route clears into the siding or whatever, the two lights on the subsidery 'position light' signal come on, as per a normal shunt signal, and you can carry on along your merry way!

Sam

Tomnick

Established Member
That's the one...not awake enough to make it all wordable, if indeed that's a word!

Met Driver

Established Member
You're after something like this, are you not?

home_sub.JPG

Tomnick

Established Member
That's the chappy, though we might prefer the two white lights to be the correct way round ;) (i.e. top left and bottom right). Of course, the main signal head can be anything from one (fixed red!) to four aspects with its own set of route indicators or whatever, applicable to the main routes that can be set from the signal.

Met Driver

Established Member
That slight error has been corrected - do a force refresh if you would, please.;)

Nitro

I know I posted about Richwell Stage 2 v2 yesterday but I didnt have enough time to download it and when I did try to download this morning I got a " ERROR 404 - Page or File not found! An error has occured. To return to the site's index, page click here"

P.S. I am clicking the link on Richwells page for Stage 2.

The Snap

Established Member
Coxster said:
Works for me,e ven after forced refreshes.

If you press F5, like Damon says, you can refresh the page. ;)

Thanks for the comments on the signals guys, Bill and I knew it would bring up a few questions. I am still unsure on what you guys are talking about exactly, but I'll see if I can make sense of it. ;) Hope you like the update...:)

Nitro

I did press F5 on numerous occasions but I got it working now. Guess its something to do with uninstalling IE7 which also didnt let me extract exe. files or even open them :rolleyes:. Now for a few sugestions/comments.;) First of all I belive AWBs also have AWS magnets and whats the max speed your allowed in the yard 10 or 15mph. Also sad to see stage 1 (good thing I still have it) altho with the new "Richwell Network" download you dont get the Voyager or 321 run.. Anyway top marks to you and Bill for a very good update.

Status
Not open for further replies.