• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

You must stay at home as much as possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Moderator note: Split from https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...-passengers-are-not-prepared-to-travel.206649

Well, you are mistaken, as the Government Guidance ceased saying "essential travel only" weeks ago; this was pointed out on here, and to Northern directly, on many occasions.

The headline Government Guidance at the time and continues to be

Stay alert
We can all help control the virus if we all stay alert. This means you must:
  • stay at home as much as possible

If you're to comply with this, leaving the house other than for essential travel is not "staying home as much as possible".

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
This information is clearly very out of date.
This is definitely not true. If you visit www.gov.uk, the linked page is in the banner at the top.

Stay alert
We can all help control the virus if we all stay alert. This means you must:

stay at home as much as possible
work from home if you can
limit contact with other people
keep your distance from people not in your household (2 metres apart where possible)
wash your hands regularly
Do not leave home if you or anyone in your household has symptoms.

Read more about what you can and cannot do

You can dislike it or disregard it at will, but by itself that doesn't mean anything.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The idea that we should still all stay at home as much as possible is, quite frankly, absurd.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Not so much public transport related, but I distinctly remember the Prime Minister at the very first lock down loosening (well over a month ago now) encouraging people to enjoy the best the English countryside has to offer (albeit by car - a nuanced change to the public transport guidance turned up a couple of weeks later).

That clearly is in contradiction to "stay at home as much as possible". This was before the opening up of the hospitality industry now, which by its nature can't be enjoyed from home.

DB

All this really proves is that the government has abandoned any sort of coherent plan and doesn't even know what it's recommending any more. Pretty much everything new they come out with has the hallmarks of being a knee-jerk reaction which hasn't been thought through, and their messages frequently contradict each other. Individual ministers say different things to the press on the same day. It's become a complete farce.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
As much as I don’t think it’s the best way forward at present, the current advice given by the government does indeed seem to be “stay at home”.

I can’t say I believe this is the most appropriate advice given their concerns over the economy, but as long as this is up on the website, this can be interpreted as their advice at present.

Personally, I think giving this advice out is absolutely ridiculous at present, yet for seem reason it seems to be what they’re doing. For those who keep away from the media and only watch the government website, the advice looks similar to 23rd March. I think it’s months beyond time to change it and it needs to happen.

DB

I can’t say I believe this is the most appropriate advice given their concerns over the economy, but as long as this is up on the website, this can be interpreted as their advice at present.

But the rule of muzzles in shops was apparently to try to get people back to them again. There's no consistency at all!

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
But the rule of muzzles in shops was apparently to try to get people back to them again. There's no consistency at all!
It’s quite ridiculous that they have this up on their website and yet they’re also wondering why the high streets are dead. They’re totally confusing and they don’t seem to know what they want themselves! We need to get this sorted out, they need to start giving clear messaging.

Are we to stay home? Are we to go out? Are we encouraged to go out and support the economy or are we to stay home to suppress coronavirus? We can’t possibly do both! It’s getting ridiculous now.

Djgr

Established Member
If you click through on the link:

It's obvious from what is written and its general tone that the headline Government Guidance simply hasn't been updated

talldave

Established Member
I think there's a perception that the people in power ("the government") are somehow different to us and know what they are doing. They're not. They're just as incompetent as the rest of us and they're blundering around attempting to sound authoritative whilst not really knowing what has to be done to keep the messaging coherent. In reality, there are probably some very dedicated civil servants somewhere in the background trying to hold it all together and make sure that things match (cf Yes Minister). But they're only human and so they won't get it right all the time.

My "being human" incompetence is limited to low-impact disasters such as forgetting the tomato ketchup when I'm shopping. But when one of these "government" people forget to remove a "stay at home" message from a website or an illuminated sign near the M1, major confusion kicks in.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
As much as I don’t think it’s the best way forward at present, the current advice given by the government does indeed seem to be “stay at home”.....
It isn't; if it was, we'd not be encouraged to, for example, eat out next month.
If you click through on the link:

It's obvious from what is written and its general tone that the headline Government Guidance simply hasn't been updated
Yes it's very obviously out of date.

While it is utter incompetence that such out of date information is still being published, many weeks after the message changed, I don't think anyone can seriously say they actually believe current guidance is that we must stay at home as much as possible.

DB

I think there's a perception that the people in power ("the government") are somehow different to us and know what they are doing. They're not. They're just as incompetent as the rest of us and they're blundering around attempting to sound authoritative whilst not really knowing what has to be done to keep the messaging coherent.

What is worse is that they now seem to be mainly just trying to follow public opinon (or what they think is public opinion) rather than trying to act objectively. And this is leading to obvious contradictions and fudges and making them look even more clueless.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Stay at home as much as possible while still supporting your local establishments and eating out to support the restaurant trade and getting out into the countryside for your excersise and going on holiday this season to support the tourism industry and feeling free to take non-essential public transport journeys.

Surely that has to be out of date; either that or govt has completely lost the plot. I suspect both.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
The fact that nobody is quite sure why it's there, and if it should be or shouldn't, is in fact a symptom and indeed a cause of the real problem.

Either the information is accurate and people will stay at home mainly out of anxiety, or it's not accurate which gives away that the government not only don't know what they're doing but aren't even really trying to keep them safe (which is true, lots of effort is being wasted on trade deal negotiations and preparing for the end of the transition, which should not be going on now), so people will mostly not go out unless they need to.

If it's wrong the incompetence is wilful, not a simple mistake.

YorksDMU

Tomorrow, I will be going out, on my bicycle, all day to Pocklington, amongst other places. I will not, repeat, not be staying at home. I may drop into a pub whilst out too, if one has no need for booking in advance. So the message is clear to me. Go out, don’t stay at home any longer. The stay at home message is just out of date.

thejuggler

I've been at home as much as possible. Food shopping only, everything else has been delivered or click and collect.

I certainly won't ever queue to enter a shop for non essential purchases.

Richard Scott

Established Member
I've been at home as much as possible. Food shopping only, everything else has been delivered or click and collect.

Well you must be able to cope with it better than some of us - the time we did have to stay in and could only go to the shop nearly drove me mad. I couldn't do that again.

DB

Well you must be able to cope with it better than some of us - the time we did have to stay in and could only go to the shop nearly drove me mad. I couldn't do that again.

Indeed. Having made steps back to normality I'm not looking forward to having to plan shop visits for once a week again, but I will have to do so once the muzzle restriction comes in on Friday.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

I've not had to queue to enter a shop for any kind of purchases, unless you count waiting about 2 minutes before entering Waitrose with nobody in front.

You can avoid it by choosing quiet times. Which is best to do anyway, as if there's one thing worse than shopping it's shopping when it's busy.

Scrotnig

I've not even gone out for food shopping, other than click and collect.

I cannot wear a mask and so I am unable to visit shops.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
While a minority will still be shielding, clearly the majority of us should be out and about (it's only healthy to do so; as I said in another thread, we are human after all), and no-one should be suggesting otherwise.
I cannot wear a mask and so I am unable to visit shops.
While you may choose not to visit shops, you are most certainly permitted to do so, even when the wearing of face coverings is mandated, if you have a medical reason or disability which is covered by an exemption. Feel free to seek advice in the appropriate thread if you require advice on this.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
The virus is still out there and has to be contained by minimising its transmission so staying at home remains the best remedy we have.
While a minority will still be shielding, clearly the majority of us should be out and about (it's only healthy to do so), and no-one should be suggesting otherwise.
Yes but we all need to be aware of where there is high prevalence of cases and keep a low profile (yes stay at home) even if it inconveniences what we want to do as the next step is local lockdown. So i do hope that local Directors of Public Health aren't shy in applying there new powers to avoid a local issue turning into a national one again.

DB

While a minority will still be shielding, clearly the majority of us should be out and about (it's only healthy to do so; as I said in another thread, we are human after all), and no-one should be suggesting otherwise.

While you may choose not to visit shops, you are most certainly permitted to do so, even when the wearing of face coverings is mandated, if you have a medical reason or disability which is covered by an exemption. Feel free to seek advice in the appropriate thread if you require advice on this.

The trouble is, given that the hostility reported on trains is likely to be repeated in shops, some people really don't want to run the risk of a confrontion.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The virus is still out there and has to be contained by minimising its transmission so staying at home remains the best remedy we have.

Yes but we all need to be aware of where there is high prevalence of cases and keep a low profile (yes stay at home) even if it inconveniences what we want to do as the next step is local lockdown. So i do hope that local Directors of Public Health aren't shy in applying there new powers to avoid a local issue turning into a national one again.

We do need to be aware, but staying at home is absolutely not the best remedy at this point in time. Sticking to guidance, taking precautions and being sensible when out is required at present.

Richard Scott

Established Member

High prevalence of cases? There are under 1000 new cases per day. At that rate would take around 200 years for everyone to have had it once!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Staying at home until a vaccine is readily available is not remotely viable.

Your proposal would wreck the livelihoods of millions of people; people like me won't let that happen

DB

But it's not going to disappear, and a vaccine is by no means guaranteed. People cannot continue to stay at home in large numbers unless we want a constant stream of bankruptcies and job losses.

Status
Not open for further replies.