• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

YouGov survey

Status
Not open for further replies.

island

Veteran Member
Here's a recent YouGov survey extract on train companies. Spot the errors!

Attachments

• YouGov Survey.pdf
    42.1 KB · Views: 146
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MarkyMarkD

It's just poor survey drafting. It should ask what "brand" trains they use. And we all know - from other threads - that many customers really don't have a clue, and will answer "Virgin" when they actually mean "XC", for example.

Even better would be to ask what two stations the journey they make is between, and then to offer them the alternative TOCs on that route (if there is more than one) so they are making an informed choice.

Nym

Established Member
You would expect more than this from YouGov, who claim to be very professional with survey documentation.

They claim a lot of things, but I tend to try and avoid making reference to them in accademic documents since they rarely make their raw data available, even with athens or sibboleth (accadmic) access. Usually meaning they will only public what they think is worth publishing.

They make wild statments sometimes, but then don't provide you with any data, unlike companies such as Granter, Ispos MORI, the Office of Statistics etc.

island

Veteran Member
It's just poor survey drafting. It should ask what "brand" trains they use. And we all know - from other threads - that many customers really don't have a clue, and will answer "Virgin" when they actually mean "XC", for example.

Even better would be to ask what two stations the journey they make is between, and then to offer them the alternative TOCs on that route (if there is more than one) so they are making an informed choice.

That last bit mightn't be too practical!

I did write in the comments at the end that they had included several nonexistent TOCs such as FNW, NXEA, and West Coast, plus Stansted Express and Gatwick Express <D

Established Member
I did write in the comments at the end that they had included several nonexistent TOCs such as FNW, NXEA, and West Coast, plus Stansted Express and Gatwick Express <D

The only defunct ones I can see are FNW and Thameslink.
The question asks which ones you've used in the last year, so NXEA is still a valid answer.
Also, WCRC are the railtour company.

Ivo

Established Member

What about Island Line? Similarly, how recent is this - is it too long ago for Greater Anglia?

The problem is that if even one option is either included or excluded incorrectly the survey question cannot be used reliably.

-----------------

To answer the question in the survey (for the fun of it):

AW, CC, CH, XC, GR, EM, FC, GW, SR, TP, GC, LM, LO, LE, NT, SW, SE, SN, VT :p

Last edited:

wintonian

Established Member
What about Island Line? Similarly, how recent is this - is it too long ago for Greater Anglia?

The problem is that if even one option is either included or excluded incorrectly the survey question cannot be used reliably.

-----------------

The Island Line was awarded as a sperate franchise, though I think there are reasons for and against it being sperate as it is a bit of an oddity.

Nym

Established Member

Why not...

c2c, TP Express, London Midland, Greater Anglia (Although not on here), Northern, SWT, Southern and not VT, that was business...

Michael.Y

Established Member
The Island Line was awarded as a sperate franchise, though I think there are reasons for and against it being sperate as it is a bit of an oddity.

For: Originally a franchise

Against: Now part of another franchise

Much like Wessex Trains.

wintonian

Established Member
Why not...

c2c, TP Express, London Midland, Greater Anglia (Although not on here), Northern, SWT, Southern and not VT, that was business...

ATW, CH, XC, EC, EMT, FC, GW, SR, TP, GX, HC, IL, LM, LO, NXEA (not Greater Anglia), NR, SWT, SE, SN, VT.

Plus Translink which isn't on the list.

Think thats it. ;)

island

Veteran Member
The question asks which ones you've used in the last year, so NXEA is still a valid answer.
Also, WCRC are the railtour company.

Gatwick Express isn't a TOC.

Ivo

Established Member
Not this again :lol:

Everyone knows should know that GX is not a TOC. Now, if only Southern would finally accept we're right <D

wintonian

Established Member
Nither are Eurostar or North Yorkshire Moors Railway, so I wouldn't worry about it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.