• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Young Persons Restrictions removed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deanparkr

I think I remember reading a sign at Lymington Station that from a certain date people with Young Persons Cards will no longer have to wait untill 10am to make use of the discount and that you can now use the discount at any time?

Is there any truth to this or have I read it wrong :?

I would email South West Trains but they always take yonks to reply...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Every July and August the minimum fares on Young Persons (now 16-25) Railcards do not apply and you can travel at any time for the normal railcard discounted rates.

I'd also like to point out that it is a minimum fare (£8 single & £16 return) and not, as some people think, a restriction. Outside of July & August (as I've mentioned above) you can use your railcard before 10am but any tickets are subject to the aforementioned minimum fares.

http://www.16-25railcard.co.uk/what-is-a-16-25-railcard/minimum-fares

deanparkr

oh...

Shame- I thought it would make Uni travel cheaper.. ah well.

Thanks for the info :)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's worth pointing out that for some journeys where the SDR is under £16, it may be possible to book further, get a SVR and benefit from the lower £8 MIN.

e.g.

York - Leeds SDR £12.30 is under £16 therefore no Y-P discount
York - Hebden Bridge SVR £13.60 is over £8 therefore Y-P discount applies = £8.95 (Valid via Leeds on any train, and back within 1 month)

The ticket office will NOT tell you this.

Also I have heard people in the queue ahead of me say they want to go to Leeds for a few days, they are issued with singles. They could have saved money by getting Saver returns to a destination beyond Leeds.

Obviously this will not work for very short/cheap journeys, and it is unnecessary for long journeys.

Status
Not open for further replies.