• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Young Workers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there

I’m sure this question has been asked MANY times before, and I am sorry.

I was wondering what the minimum age is to get a job in a TOC.

I’m sure that different TOC’s have different rules; but I’d like to know.

Thanks for your help!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

martin2345uk

Established Member
I don’t know the answer to your question but I just want to say how much I love your username :lol:

Lrd

Established Member
It depends on the role. For most roles except driver it is 18, driver is 21.

Kaltias

Hello!

I started working at 16 doing general platform duties (not despatch) for an intercity operator, so it is possible.

Hello!

I started working at 16 doing general platform duties (not despatch) for an intercity operator, so it is possible.
Wow! That’s pretty cool. Shows there is space on the railway for young people. I’ve always wanted a job on the railway; as it seems to be a family tradition.

CatfordCat

It's a fair time since I was an age to think about it, but I have seen train operating companies and Network Rail advertising apprenticeships (these can cover the customer service / operating type roles as well as the more traditional engineering based apprenticeships) some of which are open to 16+ - there are some restrictions on safety critical and shift work for workers under 18.

Most apprentice schemes work on taking a bunch of people on once or twice a year, rather than having vacancies as and when.

May be worth contacting TOC/s local to you and having a look at NR website - if you're still at school / college, or have a local authority careers service (or whatever it's called now) then they may be able to advise.

Cavan

18 for anything safety critical (21 for drivers). Under 18s also have restrictions on night work and shifts.

Status
Not open for further replies.