• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your all-time favourite bus trip (and why?). Reports welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

delt1c

Established Member
Thessalonika (Greece) to Sofia Bulgaria, Constantly changing lanscapes, the border is interesting when you stop, so much to see and marvel at

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Not an "all time favourite" bus trip but rather than start a new thread this seems appropriate to show what we can no longer do:

One positive outcome of the "lock-down" is that I have finally got round to digitising and cataloguing both my photo collection and trip logs. These include both train and bus trips and go back 50 years to 1970,the year I left school and started commuting to London. Employment gave me the income for travel and to start "serious" photography.

From my logs it seems that my peak bus travel was autumn/winter 1973/74. There is a logical reason for that. In 1972 I left work to study at the Polytechnic of Central London. From '72 - '74 I was a full time student. Initially my main interest was trains but I managed to get a summer job in 1973 with LT, working at 55 Broadway, This gave me three months of free travel on LT services. Through this my interest in buses grew and so upon my return to Poly' in the autumn I started to explore the LT bus area more and more. The most epic journey I undertook seems to have been on 5th January 1974 as follows: (route no, bus [using LT vehicle codes], journey)

397 RT621 Harlow - Bishops Stortford
720 RP7 BS - Epping
718 RP39 Epp - London Victoria
712 RF85 Vic - Epsom
406 RT4647 Epsom - Reigate
406 RT3153 Reigate - Redhill
405 RCL2222 Redhill - Crawley
727 RP2 Crawley - Heathrow
724 RP14 Heathrow - Harlow

With the loss of most of the Greenline bus routes such an itinerary would be impossible today. Harlow - Victoria alone (by bus) would take three hours on buses using four routes. Although if Airport buses were allowed taking a bus from Harlow to Stansted Airport and coach to London would be faster. Once I have cross referenced my pictures with logs I will add some images.
Fantastic trip, please do give us some pictures, of course you were well outside LT, LCBS had taken over the green empire in 1970. I might have stayed on the 712 all the way to Dorking, RFs working on coaches were always a joy.
Those of us working in admin for L.T. buses at the split in 1970 were granted free bus travel in perpetuity on the LCBS 'green' routes, but they never included free Green Line travel (in theory, anyway!). In those days, spouses etc didn't get free travel, but once you showed a 'sticky' the conductor/driver-conductor looked the other way and didn't notice the other person.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Those of us working in admin for L.T. buses at the split in 1970 were granted free bus travel in perpetuity on the LCBS 'green' routes, but they never included free Green Line travel (in theory, anyway!). In those days, spouses etc didn't get free travel, but once you showed a 'sticky' the conductor/driver-conductor looked the other way and didn't notice the other person.

I can imagine it was quite fun in them days. Note that @65477 seemed to travel on a number of RP type vehicles - was he targeting those new fangled things, one wonders?

Before I could drive, I had holiday to use at my work in 1991. My friends had left for Uni, I was between relationships and with nothing better to do, I took a week off work in 1991 and spent it exploring parts of the South West. I look back on it and the vehicles I travelled on are now interesting - loads of ageing Nationals and VRs, Transits, Iveco minis, and slightly newer and better Metroriders and Olympians. Clearly I had no idea on the geography as I bounced around visiting the same places 2/3 times and on the same day! :oops:

Knowing where you're going does help :D

krus_aragon

Established Member
I don’t travel on buses an awful lot but a few stick out as particularly memorable.
  • Last May, I took a bus from Llandudno to Bangor and I was very impressed how the bus was able to squeeze through all of the country lanes and cattle grids etc.
Country lanes and cattle grids on the bus from Llandudno to Bangor?
There are four buses per hour in each direction on the 5/X5 route, not overly rural but some nice sea views!

If you want rural catch the 75 from Llandudno to Llanfairfechan Railway Station via the Sychnant Pass, only a couple of times per day though!
ATW Alex may be thinking of the portion that dives off through Dwygyfylchi, which is definitely a narrow country lane. There's also the squeeze out of the town walls at Conwy, but I think the eastbound journey is more entertaining there, as the bus goes downhill and takes a 90 degree turn to the right, then immediately threading the needle through the town walls.

There's cattle grids on the A547 near Morfa Conwy, just before rejoining the A55 for a dash through Penmaenbach tunnel, and on the turn-off for Dwygyfylchi too.

Having been a regular user of the 5/X5 over the past decade, I'd say it's a route with an awful lot of variey to it: everything from dual carriageways and vast tunnels, through medieval towns and country lanes, with magnificent mountain and sea views.

---

However, I didn't realise that the 75 goes up and over Sychnant. I've gone that way by car many a time, but not yet by bus - thanks for the heads-up!

martinsh

Established Member
Most memorable bus journey ? Where to start – there have been so many. In no particular order I can think of

• Riding up Haldon Hill on a Devon General (ex Ezeter Corporation,) 25 year old Guy Arab. This was the mid 1970s and the A38 was being built. Massive queue of traffic, and having to continue up the incline from a standing start several times
  • Early 1970s, Northampton to Towcester to a United Counties Bristol KSW, a type that I didn’t realise still existed as my local operator (Crosville) had long since disposed of theirs.
  • Travelling from Penkridge to Newark by independent bus operators in 1982, instead of going to my cousin’s wedding (I wasn’t invited though my parents were). Last stage from Nottingham to Newark one of Gash’s ancient Daimler CVD (?) double deckers, in a torrential rainstorm.
  • Weymouth to Osmington Mills on a Western National Bristol LS (my only ever ride on this type). The bus waited around until the return trip 2 hours later !
  • Journeys to and from Derby station and my grandmother’s house, where the vehicle that turned up was a) Derby Corpoation’s Foden / NC, or b) their unique low-height Ailsa.
  • Birmingham to Worcester via the M5 on Midland Red Plaxton bodied Leyland Leopard. Sitting behind the driver (did this trip many times)
  • Speeding down the M621 on board one of Black Prince’s Routemasters – or even once their Leyland PD3 (ex Ramsbottom ?)
  • Travelling from Bangor to Bethesda via the back roads (steep hills, very narrow lanes) on board an ex Devon General Bristol LH coach of D & G (of Bethesda)
  • Travelling from Tollesbury to Maldon on a sunny October day in 1986. Sitting at the front on top deck when we ran into a tree (!). We hit a large branch below the level of the seats and broke it off !
  • Riding from Wrexham to Summerhill on Chaloner’s Bedford SB / Willowbrook. The bus was only 10 years old, but the design was about 30 years old !
  • Travelling all the way from Uttoxeter to Birmingham on vehicles of Green Bus Service of Cannock. Finding out when I reached Birmingham that it was the last day that service would run !
  • Travelling from Maesteg to Port Talbot by Llynfi Motor Services. Torrential rain, getting soaked waiting in Maesteg bus station (completely derelict). Route was a steep uphill climb, followed by a steep descent. Windows were steamed up, but I could see enough to see the sheer drop on one side of the road ! Vehicle was an ex Trent Leyland Tiger Cub as well.
  • Kyleakin to Sligachan (and back) on a coach of Skyeways (a Leyland Leopard I think). Magnificent views of the Red and Black Cuillins.
  • From Cromford up the steep hill to Wirksworth, on board a Bristol LH of Browns Motors (ex London Transport I think). Engine screaming as we slowed to a crawl. My friend and I were the only passengers.
  • Dudley to Wolverhampton on an ex Darlington Seddon RU of Metrowest – a type I didn’t realise was still in service anywhere.
  • And (how could I forget) finally catching up with South Notts Albion Lowlanders in October 1981 – by then they were the only examples still running, and were only on peak hour extras. Took LNN89E ( the last one built) all the way from Nottingham to Gotham. [ Sadly the bus got destroyed by an arson attack when in preservation ]
  • My first ever trip from Matlock to Bakewell on route 172 (via the back roads, up hill and down dale), on a board an ex PMT Bristol RE of Silver Service.
  • In the early days of deregulation, and Andrews of Sheffield had just started running services. Took an ex Douglas Corporation / Isle of Man AEC Regent out to Millhouses.
  • Riding an ex Highland Omnibus Ford R192 / Willowbrook of Beresfords from Longton to Leek. The bus was full to start off with, but everyone got off in Weston Coyney, and I was the only passenger for the rest of the way. [ the bus was 20 years old, but I remember being disappointed it wasn’t more interesting ! ]
  • Travelling from Crewe to London (by train !), armed with a copy of Buses mamagzine which listed the last 14 routes run by Routemasters. Managed to ride on all the routes – including some journeys where I was hanging off the back platform (naughty me !)

Which I suppose brings us on to the subject of preserved vehicles and special events. I’ll save those for another post …

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Most memorable bus journey ? Where to start – there have been so many. In no particular order I can think of

• Riding up Haldon Hill on a Devon General (ex Ezeter Corporation,) 25 year old Guy Arab. This was the mid 1970s and the A38 was being built. Massive queue of traffic, and having to continue up the incline from a standing start several times
  • Early 1970s, Northampton to Towcester to a United Counties Bristol KSW, a type that I didn’t realise still existed as my local operator (Crosville) had long since disposed of theirs.
  • Travelling from Penkridge to Newark by independent bus operators in 1982, instead of going to my cousin’s wedding (I wasn’t invited though my parents were). Last stage from Nottingham to Newark one of Gash’s ancient Daimler CVD (?) double deckers, in a torrential rainstorm.
  • Weymouth to Osmington Mills on a Western National Bristol LS (my only ever ride on this type). The bus waited around until the return trip 2 hours later !
  • Journeys to and from Derby station and my grandmother’s house, where the vehicle that turned up was a) Derby Corpoation’s Foden / NC, or b) their unique low-height Ailsa.
  • Birmingham to Worcester via the M5 on Midland Red Plaxton bodied Leyland Leopard. Sitting behind the driver (did this trip many times)
  • Speeding down the M621 on board one of Black Prince’s Routemasters – or even once their Leyland PD3 (ex Ramsbottom ?)
  • Travelling from Bangor to Bethesda via the back roads (steep hills, very narrow lanes) on board an ex Devon General Bristol LH coach of D & G (of Bethesda)
  • Travelling from Tollesbury to Maldon on a sunny October day in 1986. Sitting at the front on top deck when we ran into a tree (!). We hit a large branch below the level of the seats and broke it off !
  • Riding from Wrexham to Summerhill on Chaloner’s Bedford SB / Willowbrook. The bus was only 10 years old, but the design was about 30 years old !
  • Travelling all the way from Uttoxeter to Birmingham on vehicles of Green Bus Service of Cannock. Finding out when I reached Birmingham that it was the last day that service would run !
  • Travelling from Maesteg to Port Talbot by Llynfi Motor Services. Torrential rain, getting soaked waiting in Maesteg bus station (completely derelict). Route was a steep uphill climb, followed by a steep descent. Windows were steamed up, but I could see enough to see the sheer drop on one side of the road ! Vehicle was an ex Trent Leyland Tiger Cub as well.
  • Kyleakin to Sligachan (and back) on a coach of Skyeways (a Leyland Leopard I think). Magnificent views of the Red and Black Cuillins.
  • From Cromford up the steep hill to Wirksworth, on board a Bristol LH of Browns Motors (ex London Transport I think). Engine screaming as we slowed to a crawl. My friend and I were the only passengers.
  • Dudley to Wolverhampton on an ex Darlington Seddon RU of Metrowest – a type I didn’t realise was still in service anywhere.
  • And (how could I forget) finally catching up with South Notts Albion Lowlanders in October 1981 – by then they were the only examples still running, and were only on peak hour extras. Took LNN89E ( the last one built) all the way from Nottingham to Gotham. [ Sadly the bus got destroyed by an arson attack when in preservation ]
  • My first ever trip from Matlock to Bakewell on route 172 (via the back roads, up hill and down dale), on a board an ex PMT Bristol RE of Silver Service.
  • In the early days of deregulation, and Andrews of Sheffield had just started running services. Took an ex Douglas Corporation / Isle of Man AEC Regent out to Millhouses.
  • Riding an ex Highland Omnibus Ford R192 / Willowbrook of Beresfords from Longton to Leek. The bus was full to start off with, but everyone got off in Weston Coyney, and I was the only passenger for the rest of the way. [ the bus was 20 years old, but I remember being disappointed it wasn’t more interesting ! ]
  • Travelling from Crewe to London (by train !), armed with a copy of Buses mamagzine which listed the last 14 routes run by Routemasters. Managed to ride on all the routes – including some journeys where I was hanging off the back platform (naughty me !)

Which I suppose brings us on to the subject of preserved vehicles and special events. I’ll save those for another post …

My god - there's some belters there :p - always got to love some trips on Bristol LHs but a real mixed bag there.

A few of my individual journeys
  • Travelling from my home in Yorkshire on a United Explorer to Berwick on a Leopard and then two LHs to Wooler and back to Alnwick
  • The last day of United in Scarborough in 1986 and rather than running to get the X58, a driver offered me a lift to Middlesbrough on a Bova Europa that was being sent back prior to the split
  • My penultimate official run on a United RE from Ripon to York in May 1987
    • The same day having an EYMS Olympian across the Wolds from Pocklington to Bridlington
  • Experiencing my first Optare Delta - a Northumbria one from Whitley Bay to Newcastle. It was such a leap ahead of the Nationals and even the Lynxes being delivered
  • Going from Stokesley to Helmsley through Bilsdale on a United Leopard and then to Malton and then Thirsk on a United Dodge - the minibus was awful but it was a fleeting tendered incursion by United over there
  • When Northumbria bought out Rochester and Marshall, it meant Explorers were valid on there. I think it was some old Bedford (Setright machine laid on the floor) from Hexham to Consett
    • 20 plus years later, I had the fastest MPD in the North as a Go NE driver arrived in Consett 10 mins earlier - horses were not spared
  • Workington to Keswick in 1991 on a poppy red fifteen year old VR - stunning weather along Bassenthwaite Lake
  • Approaching Salisbury for the first time from Ringwood on a bright Saturday - seeing the spire against pure blue skies from the top deck of a W&D VR
    • Later the same day, a breezy ride down to Weymouth on another VR and getting a military guide as the bus looped around Blandford Camp
  • A trip from Newcastle to Hexham on a former Invictaway long wheelbase Olympian - just so refined
So many good memories

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I used to enjoy the rail replacement bus trip from Hastings to Bexhill along the seafront when Bo-peep tunnel was shut. I can't think of one I've enjoyed more.

341o2

Established Member
Imberbus - cancelled for this year
Isles of Scilly - Vic's Tours and Woodcock's buses
Bradford's last trolleybus in public service
Last days of RT's at Palmers Green garage, where one did a last substitution for RM to Victoria on route 29
Shortage of buses LT mid 70's which led to RT's being reintroduced to garages and routes usually RM such as 26, 30, 104, 230
RCL's on route 279/A
And the one which never happened....plans to introduce ex Northern General RM's on 26
9-6_13w.jpg

Albaman

During the late 1950s/early 1960s , my family holidays were spent in Lamlash on the Island of Arran. After travelling by train from Glasgow St. Enoch's to Ardrossan Winton Pier,on disembarking from the ship, we would board a bus , at one time a Bedford Duple operated by either Gordon Brothers of Lamalsh or A.C. Lennox of Whiting Bay for the final part of the journey.

I'm sure these vehicles had petrol engines ( though , latterly, they were replaced by diesel powered buses ) and really struggled to climb the steep hill out of Brodick. As the bus reached the highest point on the road between Brodick and Lamlash, there would be an excellent view of Goat Fell and the other hills in the north west of Arran and then, looking ahead, an equally magnificent view of Lamlash Bay and the Holy Isle. On busy days, duplicate vehices were operated to deal with the crowds but if there were not enough conductors, the leading bus would stop half way and the conductor would join the following bus and collect its' fares too.

Despite the passage of time, I still try to make this journey every year, though I don't know if/ when I'll manage this year.

pitdiver

Sounds boring but the 29 bus in London from Palmers Green to Victoria
140 Edgware to Heathrow Central
2 North Finchley to Crystal Palace
84 Arnos Grove to St Albans
On the way to pick up the 140 at Edgware or Burnt Oak we would travel on the old RF Operated 251. We were probably the only passengers on that route during the off peak period.
All these journeys would have been completed using the good old "Red Rover"

martinsh

Established Member
Some memorable preserved bus rides or special events

Last day of Chase Bus Services. Went around trying to catch up with every route and ride on as many Leyland Nationals as possible – I think I managed 18 !

Finally catching up with Green Bus Service’s Bedford OWB, rode on it from Penkridge to Cannock (service came from Wheaton Aston) . Marvellous slatted wooden seats.

Climbing up Parbold Hill in low gear on a preserved Leyland Tiger PS2 of Maypole Coaches

Last day of Bristol REs at Warrington Corporation. Managed to ride all 5 remaining vehicles.

Finally getting to ride on the Midland Bus Museums ex Midland Red D10 – having to queue up for special tickets because accommodation was limited.

A tour of Port Sunlight on a 1920s Leyland Lion.

Special event featuring RTs in London in April 2014 (their 75th anniversary ?). Loads of rides including one on a St Helens example.

Last, but by no means least, the last (complete) day of Routemaster operation by London Transport, on route 159 back in December 2005. Just about every variety of the vehicle you could imagine – plus a Cravens bodied RT.

Some foreign ones coming up next …

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I know it is a cheat but my first spotters bus trip with NCTS- Northern Counties Transport Society. It was a B&J Leyland Leopard I think. We went from Manchester to Sheffield then to Plymouth and various depots on the way. It was about 27 hours in total. Fabulous memories.

Ending up in the hovel of Milehouse Bus Depot?:D

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Sierre to Crans-Montana in Switzerland. No UK bus trip can beat the hairpin roads and Alpine views.

jumble

A few memorable ones spring to mind

Last night of Routemaster 12 operation second to last bus back to Notting hill gate

Conductress who was going to be made redundant sitting on bench drinking champagne
I was on the platform conducting all the way from Dulwych to Marble Arch knowing that this would be the first and last time I would be able to do this on a bus in service. Going around Parliament square at speed was amazing.

A ride on the Diddler ( London's first trolley bus) at the East Anglia Transport Museum in 2012
My understanding is that has only ever run in service 3 or 4 times since retirement in 1948 and probably will never do so again

Open top routemaster in service Route 23
First used to put RMC1510 in ordinary service on summer days in 1998
I wanted to travel on it with my kids end to end and contacted the bus garage at Westbourne Park to ask what time it was going out
Come to the garage they said
I realised on the tube that I would be late by 15 mins so rang again to ask when it would be leaving Liverpool Street to catch it there
Lovely chap said no problem come to Westbourne park and we will hold it for you which they did
Great customer service

My god - there's some belters there :p - always got to love some trips on Bristol LHs but a real mixed bag there.

A few of my individual journeys
  • Travelling from my home in Yorkshire on a United Explorer to Berwick on a Leopard and then two LHs to Wooler and back to Alnwick
  • The last day of United in Scarborough in 1986 and rather than running to get the X58, a driver offered me a lift to Middlesbrough on a Bova Europa that was being sent back prior to the split
  • My penultimate official run on a United RE from Ripon to York in May 1987
    • The same day having an EYMS Olympian across the Wolds from Pocklington to Bridlington
  • Experiencing my first Optare Delta - a Northumbria one from Whitley Bay to Newcastle. It was such a leap ahead of the Nationals and even the Lynxes being delivered
  • Going from Stokesley to Helmsley through Bilsdale on a United Leopard and then to Malton and then Thirsk on a United Dodge - the minibus was awful but it was a fleeting tendered incursion by United over there
  • When Northumbria bought out Rochester and Marshall, it meant Explorers were valid on there. I think it was some old Bedford (Setright machine laid on the floor) from Hexham to Consett
    • 20 plus years later, I had the fastest MPD in the North as a Go NE driver arrived in Consett 10 mins earlier - horses were not spared
  • Workington to Keswick in 1991 on a poppy red fifteen year old VR - stunning weather along Bassenthwaite Lake
  • Approaching Salisbury for the first time from Ringwood on a bright Saturday - seeing the spire against pure blue skies from the top deck of a W&D VR
    • Later the same day, a breezy ride down to Weymouth on another VR and getting a military guide as the bus looped around Blandford Camp
  • A trip from Newcastle to Hexham on a former Invictaway long wheelbase Olympian - just so refined
So many good memories
The Whitley Bay to Newcastle on an Optare, would that have been the 44? If so, there is every chance I was driving it.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
The Whitley Bay to Newcastle on an Optare, would that have been the 44? If so, there is every chance I was driving it.

It WAS the 44 and it was NMS 252. The first one 251 has been happily preserved for a good few years - makes me feel old!

I used to travel around the North East regularly but mainly Teesside and Co Durham. Had plenty of days out further north including an RTA whilst travelling on a NMS Olympian!! Memorable for the wrong reasons.

Whilst going through my records, found a cracking little trip out that I'd forgotten all about (so not meeting the memorable criteria) from 2000. I'd driven to Wolverhampton and gone....

892 to Telford (Falcon), X5 to Shrewsbury (B10M Coach), D75 to Welshpool (Lynx), D71 to Oswestry (Tiger Alex bus), D70 to Shrewsbury (Dart SLF), 519 to Newport (B6LE), 481 to Stafford (Tiger EL bus), 876 to Wolverhampton (Dart step)

An eclectic set of Arriva vehicles and a mix of intensely rural routes and some quite urban and interurban stuff in great scenery; Shropshire is massively under-rated as a place to explore!

James101

Probably my most memorable if not quite favourite journey was with Catch 22 Bus during their first go at the X70 Manchester - Blackpool operated with ex London bendi Citaros. We left Manchester about 30 mins late, I was the only passenger on board though the driver was lovely. All okay, if rather slow, until we got onto the M55 toward Blackpool. Driver leaves the motorway onto an exit which goes straight onto a roundabout formed by bridges over the M55 below. Pulls the huge bus, two (or 6) wheels on the kerb on the bridge and explains to me as she's so late a shuttle is going to meet us to take me to Blackpool and she'll go back to Manchester to get back on schedule.

The shuttle was only one of their Routemasters bombing up the Motorway! Laden itself with passengers to change onto the Citaro to go to Manchester. An awkward passenger swap ensues and we continue to Blackpool, I was sat on the bottom deck with the open step just meters away as we reached 50mph.

Caught the last timetabled return journey of the day which was the same Citaro and same driver which gave me a passing thought round working/driving hours as she must have been on the road for at least 11 hours now and looking at the timetable I couldn't work out where she could have had a decent break. Grand total of 3 passengers to go back. Before we left Blackpool we call at the Esso Garage by the coach park to fill up on diesel despite being in service which takes a good 15 minutes. Somewhere along the East Lancs Road the bus slows to a crawl and the rear saloon starts to fill with smoke. In typical Citaro style it's overheated and is knackered! Driver tries her best but it's no use.

Her first priority was trying to call a taxi to take the passengers into Manchester, alas no-one will pick us up at the side of the East Lancs in fading light. Soon someone from Classic Bus management (as was the company name then) arrives after about an hour to confirm the bus is indeed knackered and there only thing for it is for the original driver to take us all into town in his Ford Focus.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport

I always remember seeing the Scania L113 single dockers on the 44 as a wee kid.

In fact, a few years later, at about 10 years old, I ended up taking one of them from Newcastle to Middlesbrough on what was the X1. Luxury compared to getting a numb bum on a Pulsar these days.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
A few memorable ones spring to mind

Last night of Routemaster 12 operation second to last bus back to Notting hill gate

Conductress who was going to be made redundant sitting on bench drinking champagne
I was on the platform conducting all the way from Dulwych to Marble Arch knowing that this would be the first and last time I would be able to do this on a bus in service. Going around Parliament square at speed was amazing.

A ride on the Diddler ( London's first trolley bus) at the East Anglia Transport Museum in 2012
My understanding is that has only ever run in service 3 or 4 times since retirement in 1948 and probably will never do so again

Open top routemaster in service Route 23
First used to put RMC1510 in ordinary service on summer days in 1998
I wanted to travel on it with my kids end to end and contacted the bus garage at Westbourne Park to ask what time it was going out
Come to the garage they said
I realised on the tube that I would be late by 15 mins so rang again to ask when it would be leaving Liverpool Street to catch it there
Lovely chap said no problem come to Westbourne park and we will hold it for you which they did
Great customer service
You make me very jealous!
I missed out on the Diddler ride as my arrival at Lowestoft on the Sunday was just too late. I saw it standing there looking very forlorn, with people surrounding it looking even more forlorn, even devastated. My only small consolation was a ride on the London tram, my first since 1952 when I was four.

RMC 1510 I happened on by chance when I left City Thameslink station, and got on at the lights at Ludgate Circus. Going up Regent Street and along Oxford Street was a surreal experience, particularly as you couldn't do the latter even on a sightseeing bus.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Probably my most memorable if not quite favourite journey was with Catch 22 Bus during their first go at the X70 Manchester - Blackpool operated with ex London bendi Citaros. We left Manchester about 30 mins late, I was the only passenger on board though the driver was lovely. All okay, if rather slow, until we got onto the M55 toward Blackpool. Driver leaves the motorway onto an exit which goes straight onto a roundabout formed by bridges over the M55 below. Pulls the huge bus, two (or 6) wheels on the kerb on the bridge and explains to me as she's so late a shuttle is going to meet us to take me to Blackpool and she'll go back to Manchester to get back on schedule.

The shuttle was only one of their Routemasters bombing up the Motorway! Laden itself with passengers to change onto the Citaro to go to Manchester. An awkward passenger swap ensues and we continue to Blackpool, I was sat on the bottom deck with the open step just meters away as we reached 50mph.

Caught the last timetabled return journey of the day which was the same Citaro and same driver which gave me a passing thought round working/driving hours as she must have been on the road for at least 11 hours now and looking at the timetable I couldn't work out where she could have had a decent break. Grand total of 3 passengers to go back. Before we left Blackpool we call at the Esso Garage by the coach park to fill up on diesel despite being in service which takes a good 15 minutes. Somewhere along the East Lancs Road the bus slows to a crawl and the rear saloon starts to fill with smoke. In typical Citaro style it's overheated and is knackered! Driver tries her best but it's no use.

Her first priority was trying to call a taxi to take the passengers into Manchester, alas no-one will pick us up at the side of the East Lancs in fading light. Soon someone from Classic Bus management (as was the company name then) arrives after about an hour to confirm the bus is indeed knackered and there only thing for it is for the original driver to take us all into town in his Ford Focus.
Well sounds like the nightmare of nightmares from that unique bus operator

Alex 2901

Whilst going through my records, found a cracking little trip out that I'd forgotten all about (so not meeting the memorable criteria) from 2000. I'd driven to Wolverhampton and gone....

892 to Telford (Falcon), X5 to Shrewsbury (B10M Coach), D75 to Welshpool (Lynx), D71 to Oswestry (Tiger Alex bus), D70 to Shrewsbury (Dart SLF), 519 to Newport (B6LE), 481 to Stafford (Tiger EL bus), 876 to Wolverhampton (Dart step)

An eclectic set of Arriva vehicles and a mix of intensely rural routes and some quite urban and interurban stuff in great scenery; Shropshire is massively under-rated as a place to explore!

Most of that trip can still be done normally - albeit with a hell of a lot of careful timing

892 is now Banga's 891, and usually a Solo and a Solo SR, every hour Monday to Friday, every 2 hours Saturdays. Arriva came off the 8 (their 891 renumbered) back in 2016.

X5 is normally Versas, and now every hour, during the day.

D75 is now Celtic Travel's X75, and is usually 3 MCV Evora bodied B8RLEs, every 2 hours (approximately). Think Arriva came off the X75 around 2005/2006, but I'm not too sure on that.

D71 is now part of a TrawsCymru service, the T12 (Machynlleth - Newtown - Welshpool - Oswestry - Wrexham), operated by Lloyds Coaches (who use 2 E200MMCs) and Tanat Valley (who use 3 Metrocities).

D70 is now the 70 & 70A, using pretty much anything Oswestry have (Versas, OmniLinks or Pulsars), every hour each, Monday to Saturday Daytime only.

519 is normally a Versa or Solo, and a lot less frequent (can't remember if its 4 or 5 times per day, weekdays only)

481 is now the 5, and uses Pulsars or Centros, every 30 minutes during the week, and hourly on Sundays.

876 became the 76, but got the axe in 2016, although NXWM did continue to provide a 54 which mirrored the 76, mostly. The 54 was due to be withdrawn between Stafford and i54 last week, but is currently in limbo due to the ongoing situation. Select Bus Services do provide some form of alternative, in the form of the 877 (which partially replaced the 880) and 878 (replaced a number of former Green Bus Services routes, and doesn't go to Stafford on Saturdays, only running Wolverhampton to Brewood, every hour.)

Probably one of the best trips I've done was around Mid Wales:

Train (triple 158s) to Shrewsbury (would've gotten the 891 then X4/5 or 9/436, but i woke up late, so train it was...)
2946 (Versa) on the 70 to Oswestry
YW19 VUF (E200MMC) on the T12 to Wrexham
About an hours wait for the T3 at Wrexham
YJ17 FYZ (Metrocity) on the T3 to Dolgellau, Lloyds Depot
25 minutes wait for the late running T2
MV66 KJF (Metrocity) on the T2 to Aberystwyth
Train (a 158) back to Wolverhampton

The T2 was an absolutely amazing route, that i really want to do the full route on at some point, as the section between Dolgellau and Machynlleth in particular, was absolutely stunning.

martinsh

Established Member
I was going to regale you with tales of memorable journeys overseas, but I've written so much about the first three, that I'd better just post these observation of Latvia in the 1990s for now.

We start in 1994 with my first ever bus ride in Latvia. Dad and I were staying with relatives in Pinki and we caught the bus into Riga. It was an Ikarus 260 – probably only about 5 years old but had certainly seen better days. The service had recently been cut back drastically, and there was now a 3 hour gap before the next bus. WE managed to find seats, but there was a standing load even before it set off from the terminus. The conductor came round selling paper tickets that were torn off a roll – you then had to cancel them on a hole punch, of which there were several dotted around the vehicle. Thus my first words of Latvian were “nav deriga bez compostra” (not valid without komposting) ! As we approached Riga centre there were roadworks by the bridge over the river and there was a queue of traffic. The bus driver started arguing (in Russian) with the driver of a bulldozer who was blocking the way. After this had been going for several minutes, two teenage girls (who were standing) announced “for those of you who don’t understand Russian we will translate” – the joke being that everyone obviously did understand Russian. Just then the traffic started moving, and the driver shouted out a string of vile abuse as he roared away. “We won’t bother with that one” said the girls ! [Nowadays the Pinki to Riga service is 2 or 3 buses an hour ]

Back in Latvia again the next year. Finally persuaded my dad to go on a trip on a “double traction” trolleybus. This was a peculiar Soviet era arrangement where two trolleybuses (both Skoda 9Tr) were coupled together . Only the rear vehicle connected to the wires, and cables supplied power between the two vehicles. I had been fascinated by such weirdness ever since I first saw them. We took route 23 from the railway station to Purvciems (via A.Caka street). Sat at the very front sideways seats almost by the driver – later we found out these seats were reserved for the disabled ! We got stuck in a trraffice jam, and it took 30 minutes to reach Zemitani station (when it should be about 5). People kept getting off and walking ! [ Discovered that there had been a traffic accident. ] Purvciems terminus turned out to be a dump, surrounded by Soviet era highrise flats – some of which had been abandoned half-built. [ Route 23 still runs, nowadays you might get one of the world’s only fuel-cell trolleybuses on the route ]

A couple of years laters my dad and I took a trip from Riga to Bauska. Had a ride on a LAZ 699, my only ever ride on this make, though there were a couple of other near misses. Had a visit to Bauska castle (discovered I suffered from vertigo !), had lunch in a small café for 73p (even our Latvian contacts were amazed at how cheap). We then decided to return via Jelgava as there was a bus going there about to leave. This route was (still is) a very long dog leg. Due west as far as Eleja, then due north to Jelgava. It was a boiling hot day and we made the mistake of sitting on the sunny side of the vehicle. The bus (an Ikarus 260) trundled along at a very leisurely pace. At one stage the driver just stopped in the middle of nowhere. We wondered what was happening until we saw a woman and two little children appear from the distance down a sandy track, hurrying along. They got on board and we started off again – they were obviously regulars ! We had been to Jelgava before, so didn’t stay there long, but caught an Iveco / Otoyol midibus back to Rgia - which went like lightning ! These Turkish built vehicles were very popular in Latvia at the time – but they only lasted about 5 years before they fell apart ! [ The Bauska – Jelgava route still runs. The vehicle nowadays won’t be as atmospheric as the Ikarus – but it will be rarer. Almost certainly an Amoplant (DAF SB180 or 200 built under licence in Latvia ]

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Most memorable? Definitely Central to Aberdeen on Hong Kong Island back in 1999, the ride over the top and down into Aberdeen was pretty hair-raising from the front seat upper deck. The air conditioning on the bus was bliss too, given it was August and very very steamy.

Westnat

Probably my most memorable was on a family holiday to St Ives in 2003. We left Penzance for St Ives on one of the open top ex Grampian Atlanteans, either 1019 or 1020 - I can't be sure which one without digging through my photo collection, only to be forced to return to Penzance Bus Station by the police because the A30 was blocked by an accident just outside Penzance. After much discussion between the driver and staff at Penzance we set off again for St Ives, only this time we followed what is now the 16 route via Gulval and Nancledra! That would have been an interesting run on any decker, let alone an open top, with all the tree branches bashing the upper deck.

richw

Veteran Member
The other probably has to be when Rail River Link operated the 3 VRs on the 100 Service. I spent more than enough enjoyable days out on those.

I’ve been fortunate enough to drive two of the ex River Link VRs in preservation.

Attachments

• CB8C79FD-A695-4999-ADEE-0094C1207982.jpeg
    CB8C79FD-A695-4999-ADEE-0094C1207982.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • C3A6A022-1C6D-42BC-A9B5-C0E4DFFCF556.jpeg
    C3A6A022-1C6D-42BC-A9B5-C0E4DFFCF556.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
The T2 was an absolutely amazing route, that i really want to do the full route on at some point, as the section between Dolgellau and Machynlleth in particular, was absolutely stunning.

Whilst I've driven it more recently, it's a long time since I did that run (on a Crosville Wales B series National) but you're right, it's a beautiful run. My list of places to revisit grows ever longer.

We start in 1994 with my first ever bus ride in Latvia. Dad and I were staying with relatives in Pinki

Great read. Why does Pinki sound like a Carry On type name though.....or is it just me?

Most memorable? Definitely Central to Aberdeen on Hong Kong Island back in 1999, the ride over the top and down into Aberdeen was pretty hair-raising from the front seat upper deck. The air conditioning on the bus was bliss too, given it was August and very very steamy.

Serious trip envy here :E

Probably my most memorable was on a family holiday to St Ives in 2003.

I had a trip in 2008 on one of the ex Badgerline Citybuses - driver fairly hacked along and managed to lock up the brakes twice!!!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
St Helier -> St Helier (Island explorer circular "blue" route) via West side of Jersey including Corbiere and Greve de Lecq in 2007 was a great afternoon out.

More recently Keswick -> Keswick (via Honister and Buttermere) was another hour-and-a-half well spent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.