• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your avatar (photographs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badger

If you have a railway photo in your avatar (that you took yourself or is special to you):

Where did you take it? What's special about it?

Mine is from my only ever journey to London. Ended up with a confusing trip (off peak restrictions, either the guard or London Midland's website got it wrong, but nevermind); not all bad, it meant I got to spend some time watching the trains at Northampton.

(I'm pretty sure it's Northampton).

I liked this photo because of the positioning of the trains, thought it looked quite elegant. Taken with an iPod I'm afraid. The nearest Desiro is in motion, I later caught it home.

Anyway, just the longest train journey I've ever got so pretty special to me. Only time into the capital by train. Anyone have a better story to their avatar?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Yew

Established Member
Mine is of me In the caledonian sleeper Lounge car, from january. Im hoping to add a new one some time over the summer :)

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Mine is a forum stock shot of a 37 hauling what appears to be some carriages on what I would assume is some kind of railtour. I chose it because it was the only one out of the forums stock avatars that I liked. I suppose I should probably get around to replacing it with something of my own after nearly three years :lol:

LadyDeltic

My avatar is a photograph of me with 20020 at the Bo'ness and Kinneil heritage railway, taken on Saturday (9th June). It's special to me because Class 20s are among my favourite diesel locos, because it was taken just after the first time I took a train hauled by a Class 20, and because it commemorates a really enjoyable day out.

Temple Meads

Established Member
Mine is of 150128 arriving at Exeter St Davids, taken with a dab of zoom.

I do generally change avatars rather a lot, but I think this one might stay for a bit, as 150128 seems to be haunting me, or rather the feeling is mutual :P

TheJRB

Established Member
Mine is my own picture of 465922 at Ashford International. I chose it because it's my local station (and it just about shows the Eurostar flyover and International House in the background) and it looks OK at a small size. I thought about changing it to a Southern 171 which I took at a bridge close to home, but I think I still prefer this one.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
My avatar is an A Stock unit, and is a picture I took at Uxbridge during the 1967 Stock 'First and Last' tour in May last year. I'm feeling like a change soon though, but as the A Stock are currently on the way out it has some sentimental value!

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Mine is of me In the caledonian sleeper Lounge car, from january. Im hoping to add a new one some time over the summer :)

I was your age when I started waiting for the summer to begin to take another photo. Look what happened! :D

NSEFAN

Established Member
Mine is of a VEP and CIG unit at London Bridge, working the Sussex Slammer railtour to Littlehampton, Brighton and Newhaven Marine. :D

Robinson

When I had a railway-related avatar it was one from Wiki of 2 class 320s at Helensburgh Central. My local station, a class of train I pretty much grew up with (they were 2 years old when I was born!), so there's some sentimental value there...

Established Member
My old one was made specially for me (By Cainebj) As it is a local bus route i use all of the time :)

However My new one was taken on Saturday(9th June12) at Laira Depot and is the first time i have properly spoken and had some time with my dad for a few months.

Last edited:

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
My avatar is an A Stock unit, and is a picture I took at Uxbridge during the 1967 Stock 'First and Last' tour in May last year. I'm feeling like a change soon though, but as the A Stock are currently on the way out it has some sentimental value!

And, I decided to have a change - another of some sentimental value, Stagecoach Lincolnshire's 33207 at North Hykeham last Sautrday. These buses are all but gone from the fleet, and were delivered new to Lincolnshire RoadCar as some of the first low-floor vehicles ordered by the company.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
As my sig says, mine's of trams at Station Street NET in Nottingham, the NR station is behind this viewpoint, and a lot lower too!

Before that it was a station sign from North Berwick, a little gem of a town, always a nice run out from Edinburgh too.

4SRKT

Established Member
Mine's a Northern Ireland Railways DEMU (driving trailer 782) when new in 1986, taken near Downshire halt on the Larne line, not far from my Grandparents' house. This location was the scene of many happy childhood hours whiled away on the beach and (sorry folks) playing on the track. The trains themselves were the soundtrack to these magical summers (so loud they were audible all over the town) and all things DEMU will forever be my special trains. Was very glad to be able to make the farewell tour in February after 46 years of DEMU operation in Northern Ireland.

Clip

Established Member
Mine is a pic of an engine in the sheds at teh Driving Creek Railway in Coromandel in New Zealand.

A great railway built by a hippy that goes on some odd doubling back route up a mountain with a fine observatory on top.

If you're ever over there then you have to go on it.

Rugd1022

D1013 doing the business on the SVR.... I chose that particular shot as it sort of fits the format nicely, even though I've probably got about four or five thousand Western pics to choose from.

Addictive this Diesel-Hydraulic lark!

Hydro

Established Member
97303 (I recall) sitting at Thoresby Colliery Jn, blocked in the sidings there due to a coal train sitting on the branch we wanted to test.

My avatar is of Ivatt 4MT 43106! In all the years I've travelled on trains, I reckon that this loco is STILL the one that's powered most of my rail journeys, and that was between September 1965 - April 1967 when I was at school in West Cumberland.
The actual photo was nicked off the internet somewhere, but it wasn't my first choice. I found out that Bachmann did a model of 43106 (do they still do it? I can't fathom out their site), and I tried to download their image of it. It didn't work!

WestCoast

Established Member
It's currently a tram in the beautiful city of Prague, although I may change it soon...

sprinterguy

Established Member
My avatar is of Ivatt 4MT 43106! In all the years I've travelled on trains, I reckon that this loco is STILL the one that's powered most of my rail journeys, and that was between September 1965 - April 1967 when I was at school in West Cumberland.
The actual photo was nicked off the internet somewhere, but it wasn't my first choice. I found out that Bachmann did a model of 43106 (do they still do it? I can't fathom out their site), and I tried to download their image of it. It didn't work!
I don't think that it's part of the current Bachmann range, the current model features a different running number.

I suppose that this would be the sort of image you were originally looking for: http://www.ehattons.com/images/products/32-585_1.jpg Once again, it won't load up as an avatar pic direct from the URL address as the file is too large, but you could always just save it as a jpg file, resize it and upload it that way.

class156

Mine was taken on the last "official" day of 318s on the Clyde Coast/Inverclyde lines and I bashed the pair from Ayr to Irvine, however this wasn't the last ever time I travelled on one on these lines as the following week I bashed one from Gourock to Glasgow Central.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Currently a picture of a Metro cutting : "The meaning of off peak? Why can't you ask me something easy like, What's the meaning of life ?!"

TP

I don't think that it's part of the current Bachmann range, the current model features a different running number.
You're probably right, but I recall going to a model shop in Leith Walk, Edinburgh about 4 years ago to buy a model of a taxi (for a friend's birthday prezzy - he's a taxi driver) and whilst looking for one, I spotted a model of 43106 - I have to say that my flabber was utterly gasted! I later looked on the 'net to see who made the model and found the on-line catalogue.

I suppose that this would be the sort of image you were originally looking for: http://www.ehattons.com/images/products/32-585_1.jpg
Yep, that's the one!
Once again, it won't load up as an avatar pic direct from the URL address as the file is too large, but you could always just save it as a jpg file, resize it and upload it that way.
I could do, but I'm computer inept (which is a bit rich coming from an Electronic Engineer! My excuse is that I do hardware), so I'll leave things as they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.