• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

your best haulage of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJP

Southern said:
Well, I'd have to pick the 67 then. The Forth Bridge looked amazing.

67 :shock: I could used to see the Forth Bridge from were I used to live great sight :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Met Driver

Established Member
Southern said:
Well, I'd have to pick the 67 then. The Forth Bridge looked amazing.

If my memory serves me correctly, James and yourself didn't wake up until long after we'd arrived at Aberdeen. :lol:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I think MUs could be counted for haulage, in some sense. I mean, there are a lot of MU bashers around. I daresay there are some who'd turn down a loco on an MU-only line for reasons of only bashing units.

To add to my list (I ought to add I only started noting what locos, units and carriages I've done this spring and summer, so a lot of good bashes (the Swansea - Penzance via Swindon trip, for example, didn't see one bashed loco written down) have gone unrecorded.):

37203 HFD - Shrewsbury and back, October 2004, as part of a railtour.

43099 Leeds to York, March 2005, some good clag out of the beast. Clagged considerably leaving York!

47810 Crewe to Holyhead, July 2004. Clagged impressively off Colwyn Bay.

90001 Crewe to Liverpool. The first and only 90 haulage I had with VWC.

90024 Euston to Carstairs. First long-distance 90 haulage for me.

Harold

My best haulage was when VXC class 47s came down to Pompey on push pull duties from Portsmouth and Southsea to Blackpool North. Although when they first started the service, the service would run to and from Portsmouth Harbour. After passengers alighting at Ports Hbr, the train had to go to Fratton Yards to leave a platform vacant to other services, they regularly caused congestion at Portsmouth and Southsea and at Fratton.

Because of this, the XC service terminated at Portsmouth and Southsea instead with the following timetable:
Monday to Saturday
dep. 07:35 from Blackpool North
arr. 13:20 into Portsmouth and Southsea

dep. 14:40 from Portsmouth and Southsea
arr. 20:28 into Blackpool North

Usual consist: VXC 47, 7 virgin mk2 coaches and VXC 47

At some occasions, a VXC 47 would be kept at Eastleigh overnight and would haul the front of the Blackpool Train the next day. Meaning that Push Pull was not required as the Loco from Eastleigh would be avalible to haul the Train to Blackpool. :D

I do miss the VXC 47s!

16CSVT2700

Established Member
Several class 50 hauled Oxford to Paddington's back when I was a lad

A few duffs here and there to Paddington

50031+37411 at Rhymney

50049+50031 from Reading :arrow: Bodmin :arrow: Slough on the Pixie's Revenge tour

voyagerdude220

Established Member
spm_43030 said:
56115+56078 on 'Twilight of the Grids' Railtour - Bristol :arrow: York and rtn, plus Harrogate circular tour.

D1015 on 'Western Heights' RT - Bristol :arrow: Carlisle via S&C and Shap

HST - Bristol P/W to Paddignton

Rhymney Gala - 47854, 37411, 50031 and 33207

You would have seen me on Ramsgreave & Wilpshire, foting it on the northbound platform, if you did H-O. I unfortunately took it too early the first time, and my crappy kodak digi camera played the usual "processing" trick on me, meaning i only got one of the front & one of the rear.

Great experience to see it go past though, let alone be on it!!

metrocammel

Seth said:
If my memory serves me correctly, James and yourself didn't wake up until long after we'd arrived at Aberdeen. :lol:

Actually, i dont know about Mark, but I was awake going over the Forth Bridge as i filmed the shunting in Edinburgh, and decided to stay up for the bridge, though as far as i can rembember it was quite dark going over it.

Anyway, nothing whatsoever beats front windows on the Edinburgh to Aberdeen sleeper with 37417 on the front!!! MY LORDZ INDEED!

Metcam.

Status
Not open for further replies.