• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your best memory of a visit to a preserved railway in the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJM580

Mid Norfolk Class 37 gala 2010, absolute hellfire thrash all day and a cavalcade to round the day off

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harvester

Established Member
My first visit to the NYMR in the early eighties, a few years after it started steam operations. Main memory of the visit was the climb up to Goathland, behind standard tank 80135 with a load of five or six coaches.

Last edited:

Richard Scott

Established Member
That's really hard, remember going to SVR aged 8 and having Black 5 5000 ( ironically my earliest loco number I can remember so first recorded haulage) but do many fond memories of various Railways, all good in their own ways. Suppose finally riding behind 50019 was a good one, first loco I officially spotted back in 1986 but never rode behind it in service. Getting to finally drive 45149 after spending years restoring it has got to go down as one of the moments!

NYMR 2008, 3 A4s on the line, seeing them together at Grosmont. Plus the added bonus of the V2, that was something special.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Had plenty of enjoyable visits to heritage railways, but the one I remember most was my first visit to a working heritage standard gauge line - the Keighley & Worth Valley in August 1968. I was getting worried about my 9 minute connection at Keighley onto a Leeds service, on the journey home - and the Worth Valley train was running 18 minutes late.
No need to worry; 30072 USA 0-6-0T took a "liberal" interpretation of the 25 mph line limit, and I made my connection with over 2 minutes to spare.

steamybrian

Established Member
Also from 1968 - my first holiday away from my parents was with a group of railway enthusiast friends to Wales. Steam had just finished on the Cambrian Lines but we had class 37 haulage from Shrewsbury on the then through train from Euston- Aberystwyth. On the return journey the climb up Talerddig bank was "hellfire".
Visited the Talyllyn , Fairbourne and Ffestiniog Railways the latter had just opened to Dduallt.
Also visited the Vale of Rheidol which was still operated by BR.
At the time Heritage Railways scene were still in their infancy with the Bluebell, Middleton and KWVR being the only standard gauge lines carrying passengers.

GWRjake

For me it would have to be City of Truro's visits to the Cholsey and Wallingford Railway in the mid-2000s, it created such a buzz among our sleepy South Oxfordshire town!

A close second is Didcot's 'Two Kings' event with 6023 and 6024 in April 2011, just after the former returned to service - a wonderful day out in the sun!

Irascible

Established Member
Didcot in the ( late - probably ) 70s and a few times in the next few years. What a wonderful place full of curious devices it was to a wee lad.

jumble

Talyllyn railway
29/30 August 2015
All night running with Spaniel sitting in crammed compartment in complete darkness
Footplate ride next day
( Also Last sight of Vulcan flying at Rhyl Airshow)

Festiniog approx 2010
Experience day
Tender ride on Prince ( one of oldest running loco in world)
Down on Slate Gravity train ( My understanding is that members of the public are no longer allowed to be on it

Iskra

Established Member
For me, it would be rocking up at Steamtown Carnforth in the late 1990’s early 00’s as a child to find it had closed down. Two sympathetic crew gave me a footplate ride down a siding and back in a Black 5 (possibly an 8F).

I’ve had some good trips in more recent years; trips on some of the bigger railways have been fun with multiple loco’s in operation such as the ELR- but the NYMR to Whitby stands out due to a bit of faster mainline running being involved.

Taunton

Established Member
I have a range. Surprising how many were by chance.

- Winter's day on the Bluebell. Had taken someone to Gatwick airport, just carried on, didn't know even if they were running. It started to snow. They were running, wonderful old pre-grouping stock with all steam heat operating, wisps of it all around. Off through the winter countryside. Very few customers but all the old days atmosphere was there.

- Didcot. Turned up, didn't know it was the line to Oxford 150th celebration day (1994). A Castle was operating shuttles with a full sized train to Oxford and back. Run absolutely flat out both ways. What a performance.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Welsh Highland Railway, summer 2014 and within the last few days of our 2-week holiday on the Isle of Anglesey (apart from one or two days, gorgeous weather the entire time we were there). An out/back trip behind a ex-South African Railways NGG16 Garratt. Been wanting to go back ever since that trip; the scenery, the stock/motive power, the atmosphere, all of them winners in my book.

Last edited:

Aictos

Established Member
For me, one of my favourite places is the Spa Valley railway simply because of how easy both Southern and The Spa Valley railway have made connecting between services at Eridge.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Best for me was the Spa Valley a couple of years ago, mostly because it was an unintended visit. I had been exploring the Oxted branch when I got to Eridge I saw a Class 73 in NSE livery and thought, "I need some of that!"

John Luxton

Established Member
First preserved railway I visited and travelled on was the Dart Valley Railway (now South Devon) at Buckfastleigh - August 1969, would have been 9 going on 10 at the time.

We were away on holiday and for several years my parents had taken me for rides on the St Ives branch.

They realised I was getting an affection for Great Western branch lines. Though not railway enthusiasts themselves they encouraged my interest and seemed to enjoy train trips as a change from the car.

Anyway what remember of it was a 14xx tank loco sandwiched between four auto trailers it was probably either 1420 or 1450 which were resident on the line at the time.

I seem to recall the ticket office inside the station building was not in use but there was a shed by the platform entrance with a ticket window.

We chugged down to the bridge before Totnes were we stopped and the driver changed ends (Totnes Riverside / Littlehempston station was years away!) and it was just a ride to nowhere in those days.

On getting back to Buckfastleigh I recall there was a Pullman Car inside the good shed which was functioning as the cafe and one could sit inside it - we had a cream tea in there.

Then after a mooch around the station (it was all still intact then as the A38) dual carriageway had not compromised the site at this stage.

We went to the Ian Allan Bookshop which occupied the space now partially used by the museum there my father bought me a copy of George Behrend's "Gone With Regret".

After that initial visit trips to the Dart Valley became regular features of our holidays in Devon and Cornwall and a few years later for my 14th birthday my father bought me some shares in the company which now operates just the Paignton to Dartmouth Line and the River Boats.

Though I still go to Devon and Cornwall for holidays several times a year I don't visit what is now the South Devon Railway as often though I did pay two visits during the 50th Anniversary Gala week in 2019. Just too many other competing transport attractions in the area!

Happy memories!

David Goddard

Established Member
North Yorkshire Moors Railway without a doubt.
We had our honeymoon in Pickering in 2006 which naturally featured a trip to Whitby on the railway.
Ten years later we returned to Pickering for our anniversary and went on the Friday evening "Pickering Pullman" which fell on the actual day.
We were able to secure the headboard for the train which topped it off nicely.

Attachments

• Pickering_Goddard.jpg
    Pickering_Goddard.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 39

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
First preserved railway I visited and travelled on was the Dart Valley Railway (now South Devon) at Buckfastleigh - August 1969, would have been 9 going on 10 at the time.

We were away on holiday and for several years my parents had taken me for rides on the St Ives branch.

They realised I was getting an affection for Great Western branch lines. Though not railway enthusiasts themselves they encouraged my interest and seemed to enjoy train trips as a change from the car.

Anyway what remember of it was a 14xx tank loco sandwiched between four auto trailers it was probably either 1420 or 1450 which were resident on the line at the time.

I seem to recall the ticket office inside the station building was not in use but there was a shed by the platform entrance with a ticket window.

We chugged down to the bridge before Totnes were we stopped and the driver changed ends (Totnes Riverside / Littlehempston station was years away!) and it was just a ride to nowhere in those days.

On getting back to Buckfastleigh I recall there was a Pullman Car inside the good shed which was functioning as the cafe and one could sit inside it - we had a cream tea in there.

Then after a mooch around the station (it was all still intact then as the A38) dual carriageway had not compromised the site at this stage.

We went to the Ian Allan Bookshop which occupied the space now partially used by the museum there my father bought me a copy of George Behrend's "Gone With Regret".

After that initial visit trips to the Dart Valley became regular features of our holidays in Devon and Cornwall and a few years later for my 14th birthday my father bought me some shares in the company which now operates just the Paignton to Dartmouth Line and the River Boats.

Though I still go to Devon and Cornwall for holidays several times a year I don't visit what is now the South Devon Railway as often though I did pay two visits during the 50th Anniversary Gala week in 2019. Just too many other competing transport attractions in the area!

Happy memories!

Really interesting John. Were any of the trains running through to Ashburton still in 1969?

steamybrian

Established Member
For me, one of my favourite places is the Spa Valley railway simply because of how easy both Southern and The Spa Valley railway have made connecting between services at Eridge.
You must make a return visit to Eridge station to see the newly restored "Southern" side of the station in green and cream colours matching the Spa Valley platform buildings. A newly restored waiting room in traditional style and new footbridge similar in style to the previous one.

Aictos

Established Member
You must make a return visit to Eridge station to see the newly restored "Southern" side of the station in green and cream colours matching the Spa Valley platform buildings. A newly restored waiting room in traditional style and new footbridge similar in style to the previous one.
Not been for a few years but once the preserved railways do open up again, I would like to visit.

The_Van

Bridgnorth 1971 10 year old me with my Dad caught the Midland Red bus from Wolverhampton

3205 to Hampton Loade.

Tremendous

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Two gala memories for me

The SVR’s Autumn 2002 gala, which featured both LMS Pacifics 6201 and 6233. Spent most of the Saturday lineside with my Dad at the north end of Bewdley Tunnel making stereo sound recordings of trains climbing the bank, the standout was the Duchess making a VERY liberal interpretation of the 20mph limit (Pacifics not being permitted up to 25mph on the SVR.) We then made our way to Bridgnorth for the 2245ish round trip to Kidderminster, which always seemed specifically timed for a visit to the Kidder station chippy and featured 6201 on the 9-coach Stanier rake. In the dark, hammering away out of Bewdley, my dad commented it was like riding the Night Scotsman over Beattock in the 1950s. I can’t hear that recording without imagining what that was like.

Around the same time, my Dad and I went to the NYMR Autumn gala which featured 60800 Green Arrow. We stayed with my Grandad in York, he was a very reserved and quiet man with a lifelong love for LNWR and LMS engines, so I assumed the V2 would be less interesting to him as an LNER product. We had an absolutely storming run up the bank Grosmont to Goathland, then on the climb out of Goathland through Moorgates we clocked her at over 50mph. I was sound recording and I remember looking across the compartment and my Grandad had his head out the window, wisps of hair flying back and an absolute beam of a smile on his face. He said afterwards it was the best run behind steam he’d had in his life. That was the last time we went to a railway together, as he became permanently housebound shortly afterwards and passed away a few years ago.

(Note - I haven’t had a run as remotely in excess of the 25mph limit on a preserved line for many years now, it’s something that has rightly been clamped down on. Great fun for a teenager at the time though!)

John Luxton

Established Member
Really interesting John. Were any of the trains running through to Ashburton still in 1969?
No Ashburton was never opened as such.

If I recall when the DVR were granted their Light Railway Order it was only from Buckfastleigh to the Junction at Totnes.

Though I seem to recall there being some specials run over the Buckfastleigh - Ashburton section and the locos were stored and serviced there before operating through to Buckfastleigh to pick up their trains.

I think they did run a service on the final day October 1971 and rail tour ran through that day.

Some photos on the Cornwall Railway Society web site.

Ashburton Branch - South Devon Railway (cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk)

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Early in my career at KWVR, fellow volunteers wedding evening train, seeing the fire light the smoke up in the sky, the gas lit stations on a perfectly clear August evening. Absolutely magical, never seen a steam engine at night before that point and I still remember it very vividly.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

If I recall when the DVR were granted their Light Railway Order it was only from Buckfastleigh to the Junction at Totnes.

Though I seem to recall there being some specials run over the Buckfastleigh - Ashburton section and the locos were stored and serviced there before operating through to Buckfastleigh to pick up their trains.

I think they did run a service on the final day October 1971 and rail tour ran through that day.

Thanks, I didn’t actually realise that.

AM9

Veteran Member
My best memory of a preserved railwy visit was in 1973. In th summer of that year I took the family to a chalet park in the hinterland of Dartmouth. The journey involved travelling from Paddington to Paington and there changing onto what was then the Torbay Steam Railway. There wer boarded a five or six coach train pulled by a 2-6-2T loco No. 4555. It ws the fiorst time to Devon, and riding a steam train past Goodrington Sands beach was just like a child's storybook. Getting a ferry across to Dartmouth and a bust to the holiday park was a pleasant experience. A few days later the TSR was graced by none other than Flying Scotsman for a weel (ISTR). It was in its apple green 4472 livery and made short shrift of the climb up to Greenway tunnel.
That was the first time i'd seen any steam haulage since the Britanninas and B17s discontinued on the GEML. A truly wonderful sight.
In 2017, we went for a week in Brixham, and saw that the line was still quite successful running as a commercial setup and called the Dartmouth Steam Railway. Whilst stayin in the area I went to Totnes to ride the South Devon Railway (the original DVR). That was in a sorry state, evidenced by the incident of the missing floor in one of the toilets the week after I was there.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member

There were two "final day" specials on 2nd October 1971. One was from Paddington, and the other from Swansea, and I was on the latter. I don't have a singular "best memory", but this is one of the several that I do remember. I do have some photos of the day, so I'll have to see if I can add them here.

I'll also have to look for my other "best memories" ... to be continued!!

Going to the SVR on my birthday, riding behind Bittern in a Gresley teak coach in the Spring sunshine.

Visiting the NRM for the first time in 10+ years, at the Railfest 2012 event. Was obsessed with Mallard as a little boy and this was the first time coming back as a so-called adult, was a bit emotional seeing her again.

The Barrow Hill 'rarities' gala in 2015 (?) was a great concept, seeing a Warship and 68001 was great, as well as the real fun to be had at Barrow Hill - seeing all the random locos dotted about and lined up.

Also in 2012 I was stuck between doing the Gresty Bridge Open Day or riding behind 50035 in its LoadHaul livery on the SVR - decided to do both! Mad dash around Gresty Bridge, practically ran back up the Gresty Road to Crewe station, train down to Smethwick Galton Bridge, then off to Kidderminster, got onto the SVR just as 035 was running round its train - magic.

Last time I properly did an SVR diesel gala was 2017/18, still impressed at the sheer numbers of locos they would squeeze into the diagrams - almost as many mainline guests as there were home fleet locos.

Status
Not open for further replies.