• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your best model railway bargain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter C

Established Member
We all like a bargain - particularly those of us on tight budgets (hello!). So: what's your best bargain?
This could be anything; an engine, unit, coach, wagon, or other model railway item, past or present. Bought an entire layout for 50p in 1974 and still use it today? Do share. Bought an engine for £20 yesterday when they normally go for £40? That's still a bargain. I just thought it might be interesting to see the deals people have found in the past. Now I'm not expecting people to share bargains they're interested in and haven't yet bought (to be honest in those circumstances I'd only share a bargain after I got all I wanted!), but please do share any sorts of bargains you find online as well - especially if they're decent deals.

I'll start this off with my Lima Class 09:
Lima Class 09.jpeg
I'm not going to do a write-up about this here as I've already done one on my layout thread:
Peter C on the Oldmoor Junction Model Railway thread said:
It's been repainted into BR Green by a previous owner, but I think it's been done with some sort of spray thing as it's really well-done and I wouldn't have noticed if it hadn't been pointed out in the description on eBay. It was just £30 including postage, and included glazing which the base Lima models didn't come with (meaning I get to save a few quid on the glazing parts from elsewhere on eBay). I went for this model following a discussion on RMWeb (I hope it's alright to share a link to that on here?) about if the models were any good: I've had a Hornby Railroad Class 08 for a few years now but have never been happy with it due to the many inaccuracies it has. This model isn't perfect - it's a bit too tall I think - but it's got the correct outside frames so it's good enough for me. :)

-Peter

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ted633

Going back a few years, I think it was Hattons were flogging Bachmann CEP's for £80 (I think). I bought a green one and weathered it, wish I bought more now seeing the price of a new one today! Also picked up a new Hornby HST in GNER livery for the same price from modelzone at about the same time.

Peter C

Established Member
Going back a few years, I think it was Hattons were flogging Bachmann CEP's for £80 (I think). I bought a green one and weathered it, wish I bought more now seeing the price of a new one today! Also picked up a new Hornby HST in GNER livery for the same price from modelzone at about the same time.
Oh wow! That is an excellent deal. Shame you don't see more of that sort of thing now: yes it's possible to get deals like that but not on a large scale.

-Peter

Established Member
This pair I got from Stafford Toy Fair for £50 which I think for a pair which has added the nameplates and most likely renumbered as well is a very good bargain. 185 is also a very good runner being a motored power car as well.
IMG_20201216_211225.jpg

Peter C

Established Member
This pair I got from Stafford Toy Fair for £50 which I think for a pair which has added the nameplates and most likely renumbered as well is a very good bargain. 185 is also a very good runner being a motored power car as well.
View attachment 93813
Now that is quite the bargain! From the look of 43002 I'd be inclined to guess they're Lima models? £50 for a pair of Lima Class 43s really is good when single ones are going for that and above on eBay!

-Peter

hexagon789

Veteran Member
A full Hornby trainset - £5 out of a charity shop. I think it was a fairly recent release as well, perhaps a birthday or Xmas present someone didn't want?

Peter C

Established Member
A full Hornby trainset - £5 out of a charity shop. I think it was a fairly recent release as well, perhaps a birthday or Xmas present someone didn't want?
Yet another excellent bargain! This just shows it pays to look in non-railway-specific places to find some really good deals. Do you happen to know the name of the trainset?

-Peter

Established Member
Now that is quite the bargain! From the look of 43002 I'd be inclined to guess they're Lima models? £50 for a pair of Lima Class 43s really is good when single ones are going for that and above on eBay!

-Peter
They are both Lima models. Just looking at eBay I am amazed at some of the prices going into the hundreds!

Peter C

Established Member
They are both Lima models. Just looking at eBay I am amazed at some of the prices going into the hundreds!
Ah cool. :) I've been looking for a Lima HST powercar pair for a while now and can't seem to find just one for any reasonable price!

-Peter

=========

I've just received a notification about a watched item on eBay, so I thought it might be worth sharing that if you watch any items (by clicking on the right button the listing page) on eBay, you may then receive discounts and deals from the seller. They're not always just sent out to one potential buyer, so you have to be quick if you take the seller up on their offer, and they're not always amazing, but they're still something. I expect many people on here will already know this, but some might not.

-Peter :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.