• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your best TS20xx/TSW recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter C

Established Member
We've had the thread about your best model rolling stock suggestions, and so it's probably worth having a similar thread for Train Sim 20xx and Train Sim World. Sales for these simulators are really quite frequent so this thread could be a useful place to go to when a sale comes up and you don't know what to buy!

My first recommendation is actually a pair of recommendations; the Armstrong Powerhouse Track Enhancement Pack and Sky & Weather Enhancement Pack. They add so much to otherwise bland routes and make it seem like a new game in some respects. The Sky & Weather EP is much better at this than the Track EP, but they're both excellent.
My second (third?) recommendation is another Armstrong Powerhouse product - in this case, the Class 50 from them and Bossman Games. It's not as detailed as the Class 37 AP made, but it's still a massive step up from the DTG version and I always enjoy driving it, whether it be on a heritage line or down the GWML or PDL at high speeds :)

What would you recommend?

-Peter

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greatvoyager

Established Member
We've had the thread about your best model rolling stock suggestions, and so it's probably worth having a similar thread for Train Sim 20xx and Train Sim World. Sales for these simulators are really quite frequent so this thread could be a useful place to go to when a sale comes up and you don't know what to buy!

My first recommendation is actually a pair of recommendations; the Armstrong Powerhouse Track Enhancement Pack and Sky & Weather Enhancement Pack. They add so much to otherwise bland routes and make it seem like a new game in some respects. The Sky & Weather EP is much better at this than the Track EP, but they're both excellent.
My second (third?) recommendation is another Armstrong Powerhouse product - in this case, the Class 50 from them and Bossman Games. It's not as detailed as the Class 37 AP made, but it's still a massive step up from the DTG version and I always enjoy driving it, whether it be on a heritage line or down the GWML or PDL at high speeds :)

-Peter
I would recommend:-
- Armstrong Powerhouse Class 43/MK3 Enhancement Packs (Valenta/VP185/MTU)
- Just Trains South Devon Mainline
- Just Trains Western Mainlines.

Last edited:

hexagon789

Veteran Member

-Peter
The AP 4CEP (Class 411/412) - the level of detail is second to none, and I reckon about the closest you can get with a freely available computer simulation.

You really have to get used to the driving techniques with it before you can drive it effectively, even then the variable handling makes it more interesting!

greatvoyager

Established Member
The AP 4CEP (Class 411/412) - the level of detail is second to none, and I reckon about the closest you can get with a freely available computer simulation.

You really have to get used to the driving techniques with it before you can drive it effectively, even then the variable handling makes it more interesting!
I've been wondering if I should get the 411/412, so it's looks like I've missed out by not having it.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I love a challenge, so sounds good!
Oh it is believe me. No modern Wheelslip Protection, so if it slips it really slips and you hear the motor pitch climb rapidly, the train shudders a bit and the speedo goes crazy! And with the camshaft system you can't back of the power only shut off and start again. So you have to 'hand notch', add power bit-by-bit trying to judge how much it'll stand before it skips. The manual explains the procedure to take.

Then for braking they've modelled tread brakes performance as with the Class 205 Thumper, but unlike those these of course accelerate much faster and can go faster so you have the added interest of trying to judge stopping distance from higher speeds and getting the right amount of brake in to stop and ease off at the right point rather than misjudge and have to put more and more brake in is quite a challenge to get right especially in the wet/ice as you can easily lock the wheels and slide. It's worse if you pretend to fail the EP brakes and go purely on the Auto as you can't reduce the brake force only increase it or release it fully.

They also have unit to unit performance variance as per reality - there is an average acceleration and braking factor but each unit is randomly assigned a variance of up to +/- 10% from that, so even the same scenario can pan out differently.

greatvoyager

Established Member
Oh it is believe me. No modern Wheelslip Protection, so if it slips it really slips and you hear the motor pitch climb rapidly, the train shudders a bit and the speedo goes crazy! And with the camshaft system you can't back of the power only shut off and start again. So you have to 'hand notch', add power bit-by-bit trying to judge how much it'll stand before it skips. The manual explains the procedure to take.

Then for braking they've modelled tread brakes performance as with the Class 205 Thumper, but unlike those these of course accelerate much faster and can go faster so you have the added interest of trying to judge stopping distance from higher speeds and getting the right amount of brake in to stop and ease off at the right point rather than misjudge and have to put more and more brake in is quite a challenge to get right especially in the wet/ice as you can easily lock the wheels and slide. It's worse if you pretend to fail the EP brakes and go purely on the Auto as you can't reduce the brake force only increase it or release it fully.

They also have unit to unit performance variance as per reality - there is an average acceleration and braking factor but each unit is randomly assigned a variance of up to +/- 10% from that, so even the same scenario can pan out differently.
I quite like the idea of that.

Peter C

Established Member
I would recommend:-
- Armstrong Powerhouse Class 43/MK3 Enhancement Packs (Valenta/VP185/MTU)
- Just Trains South Devon Mainline
- Just Trains Western Mainlines.
I've got the AP HST (MTU and Valenta) EPs and I can also recommend them. I remember being amazed by the improvement in quality from the basic Kuju HST to the AP ones when I got them and I still really like them. I've also got the JT Western Mainlines route, which I also enjoy. I've not got the South Devon Mainline route though: I think I'd probably get the extension for Western Mainlines if I do get it.

I saw the video of that when it came out and it does look absolutely brilliant. I'm hoping now we'll get more SR EMUs!

-Peter

Established Member

-Peter
I've got the AP HST (MTU and Valenta) EPs and I can also recommend them. I remember being amazed by the improvement in quality from the basic Kuju HST to the AP ones when I got them and I still really like them. I've also got the JT Western Mainlines route, which I also enjoy. I've not got the South Devon Mainline route though: I think I'd probably get the extension for Western Mainlines if I do get it.

I saw the video of that when it came out and it does look absolutely brilliant. I'm hoping now we'll get more SR EMUs!

-Peter
I would say anything from Armstrong Powerhouse is recommended. I started off the with the 175 as my first AP pack and have slowly built up with a number of units and the odd loco now including the VP185 and MTU HST's.

Route wise I would recommend the ECML Merge on Alan Thompson sim which combines the 4 ECML routes so you can drive from London to Edinburgh in one go if you really wanted. Whilst I haven't done a full run I do enjoy driving the 91's and HST's on the LNER services. I also like the North Wales Coast route from Crewe to Holyhead running right on the coast in parts and with a mix of local and express services and stock. The 57+390 drag is a good run!

greatvoyager

Established Member

-Peter
Also recommend:-
- Just Trains Voyager Advanced
- Just Trains Class 222 Advanced
- Armstrong Powerhouse 90/DVT.

Iskra

Established Member
My favourites are the AP/Steam Class 40 add ons, all of the AP Enhancement and locomotive packs, Bossman Games Black 5.

In terms of routes it's, WCML over Shap, Western Lines of Scotland, South Wales Coastal Bristol-Swansea, JT Midland Mainline Series.

For TSW2 it's between the Great Western Express and Northern Transpennine routes, but they are still in need of a patch at the moment.

greatvoyager

Established Member
My favourites are the AP/Steam Class 40 add ons, all of the AP Enhancement and locomotive packs, Bossman Games Black 5.

In terms of routes it's, WCML over Shap, Western Lines of Scotland, South Wales Coastal Bristol-Swansea, JT Midland Mainline Series.

For TSW2 it's between the Great Western Express and Northern Transpennine routes, but they are still in need of a patch at the moment.
South Wales Coastal is one of my favourites.

Peter C

Established Member
I would say anything from Armstrong Powerhouse is recommended. I started off the with the 175 as my first AP pack and have slowly built up with a number of units and the odd loco now including the VP185 and MTU HST's.
Definitely. I've got quite a few of their things and I enjoy driving all of them.

Route wise I would recommend the ECML Merge on Alan Thompson sim which combines the 4 ECML routes so you can drive from London to Edinburgh in one go if you really wanted. Whilst I haven't done a full run I do enjoy driving the 91's and HST's on the LNER services. I also like the North Wales Coast route from Crewe to Holyhead running right on the coast in parts and with a mix of local and express services and stock. The 57+390 drag is a good run!
I've seen the ECML Merge but my laptop wouldn't be able to handle it all! I've only just got it to do TSW2020 :)

I can vouch for GWE. I've only got a laptop and it struggles to play TSW (I've only got TSW2020) but I got it working tonight and it was jolly good fun - especially so when I tried to steal a HST!

-Peter

Darandio

Established Member
I've also got the JT Western Mainlines route, which I also enjoy. I've not got the South Devon Mainline route though: I think I'd probably get the extension for Western Mainlines if I do get it.

I'm not that much of a Western Mainlines fan to be honest, at least not the early releases. From the South Devon section onwards I am a big fan and especially of the Cornish Main Line extension.

I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread but Welsh Marches is also a cracker.

Peter C

Established Member
I'm not that much of a Western Mainlines fan to be honest, at least not the early releases. From the South Devon section onwards I am a big fan and especially of the Cornish Main Line extension.
Ah OK - I've heard quite a few people saying that and I can see why (it's fairly basic in some places) but personally I quite like it. I just like the fact that it's more detailed than the old GWML route from Kuju!

I need to look into that; I've heard a lot of good things about it!

-Peter

Established Member
I've seen the ECML Merge but my laptop wouldn't be able to handle it all! I've only just got it to do TSW2020 :)
To me the ECML is more stable than the western mainlines but I think that's down to the 3d trees ect causing lag. I have never managed to get TSW working on my computer.

Peter C

Established Member
To me the ECML is more stable than the western mainlines but I think that's down to the 3d trees ect causing lag. I have never managed to get TSW working on my computer.
Interesting. My laptop struggles with Western Mainlines sometimes but it's not too bad. I was surprised when TSW started working - first time in about a year or maybe longer!

-Peter

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I quite like the idea of that.
You will I think, but it'll also annoy and antagonise the heck out of you the first few times and even sometimes after that! ;)

HST packs are definitely good for the sounds as well as the physics, though I do wish they would add a patch to incorporate Wheelslip braking physics as per the newer packs. I'd like to try taking an HST from 125 to a stand in the rain, snow and sleet with the WSP spluttering away like mad!

Personally I feel the 40 is getting a bit dated, the sounds are fine but it's not quite got the modern physics and handling, the throttle isn't quite right for example but it's still better than default TS stuff.

Routes wise I tend to prefer fast mainlines, but if a route has a reasonable scenic element I'm not too fussed.

The Cornish extension is good, I agree the other bits are not quite so good. The original WMLs had quite a few speed limit errors.

I have no problems with the ECML, but the GEML can be too taxing I find, had to play around with the settings to manage all the AP 170 EP scenarios for the line.

Interesting. My laptop struggles with Western Mainlines sometimes but it's not too bad. I was surprised when TSW started working - first time in about a year or maybe longer!

-Peter
I haven't even bothered with TSW yet!

If you're on-the-fence about TSW2020 or TSW2, I recommend waiting until they're in a Steam sale. It happens 3 or 4 times a year and you can pick them up for 25-50% off. There's usually a bunch of DLC on sale at the same time.

The two sequels are much improved over the original TS. The graphics are noticeably better, the UI is much better and there's a lot more interaction with stuff in the cab. You're actually looking around the cab and moving around pushing switches rather than pressing keyboard shortcuts. Of course you can still just push the keyboard buttons if you want to.

The one area where TS is king is the variety of DLC. Because it's been around for much longer, there's so much more on offer. You've got much less available on the sequels but they are prettier.

The most annoying thing about TSW2020 and TSW is that it forces you to play through the tutorials for each route before you can get going. It's telling you to use WSAD to move and move the mouse to look around and you're thinking "I know. I've done the same tutorial for the other four routes I've got. And I've played TS for ten years. Let me get on with it."

As for routes, it depends on what you're into. Some people like long-distance high-speed routes. Some like long slow trundling freight trains. I'm into S-Bahn and commuter routes, so I can recommend a few things there.

• Rapid Transit for TSW. It's a line of the S-Bahn Mitteldeutschland around Leipzig. Very nicely rendered, and includes the new tunnels under the city that were recently built.
  • Munich - Garmisch-Partenkirchen for TS. It's a slightly longer commuter route with a decent variety of scenery and some nice long fast stretches. If you want to stop more frequently, you can run on the S-Bahn tracks instead.
  • London - Brighton for TS. It's an old one and a classic. The included timetabled missions with the class 377 are good, but I enjoy running ridiculous "stop at every station" services with a class 421.
  • Through The Heart Of Berlin for TS. This is a bit of a quirky one. It's a real-world Berlin S-Bahn line set in 2006, but with an older class of train and with departures controlled by platform staff (which were both long gone by 2006). The train is weird, with only one acceleration notch that needs to be held down and brakes that can be applied in as many stages as you want but with only one 'release' option. Quirky and fun to drive, but maybe not for everyone.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
If you're on-the-fence about TSW2020 or TSW2, I recommend waiting until they're in a Steam sale. It happens 3 or 4 times a year and you can pick them up for 25-50% off. There's usually a bunch of DLC on sale at the same time.

The two sequels are much improved over the original TS. The graphics are noticeably better, the UI is much better and there's a lot more interaction with stuff in the cab. You're actually looking around the cab and moving around pushing switches rather than pressing keyboard shortcuts. Of course you can still just push the keyboard buttons if you want to.

The one area where TS is king is the variety of DLC. Because it's been around for much longer, there's so much more on offer. You've got much less available on the sequels but they are prettier.

The most annoying thing about TSW2020 and TSW is that it forces you to play through the tutorials for each route before you can get going. It's telling you to use WSAD to move and move the mouse to look around and you're thinking "I know. I've done the same tutorial for the other four routes I've got. And I've played TS for ten years. Let me get on with it."

As for routes, it depends on what you're into. Some people like long-distance high-speed routes. Some like long slow trundling freight trains. I'm into S-Bahn and commuter routes, so I can recommend a few things there.

• Rapid Transit for TSW. It's a line of the S-Bahn Mitteldeutschland around Leipzig. Very nicely rendered, and includes the new tunnels under the city that were recently built.
  • Munich - Garmisch-Partenkirchen for TS. It's a slightly longer commuter route with a decent variety of scenery and some nice long fast stretches. If you want to stop more frequently, you can run on the S-Bahn tracks instead.
  • London - Brighton for TS. It's an old one and a classic. The included timetabled missions with the class 377 are good, but I enjoy running ridiculous "stop at every station" services with a class 421.
  • Through The Heart Of Berlin for TS. This is a bit of a quirky one. It's a real-world Berlin S-Bahn line set in 2006, but with an older class of train and with departures controlled by platform staff (which were both long gone by 2006). The train is weird, with only one acceleration notch that needs to be held down and brakes that can be applied in as many stages as you want but with only one 'release' option. Quirky and fun to drive, but maybe not for everyone.
If you ever get the AP 411/412, would be perfect for the Brighton Mainline! ;)

The Berlin one sounds interesting, I think I'll have a look. The power control sounds intriguing with just one 'notch', the brakes sound like old-fashioned Auto Air - direct release only. The Thumpers and 411/412 have this but with a fully graduated EP brake overlaid for normal service.

Edit: The trains appear to date from the 1920s and the manual states they have EP in real life but due to limitations it wasn't modelled and in their view is of marginal benefit in scenarios! (Not sure I agree with that last bit, EP is very useful!)

XAM2175

Established Member
I would say anything from Armstrong Powerhouse is recommended.
Basically this. The only problem is that since their newer stuff keeps getter better and better it's beginning to make their old stuff look quite tired too, let alone the default kit :lol:

For fans of German operations a particular favourite of mine is Aerosoft's "Durchs Moseltal" ("Through the Moselle Valley"), especially with the freeware "Reloaded" patch. It's the Koblenz to Trier section of the dual-track mainline that links the West Rhine lines at Koblenz with Luxembourg and it's delightfully scenic, with a some challenging speed variations and a good mix of freight and passenger traffic.

I would also suggest Virtual Railroads as a top-notch purveyor of German rolling-stock, with their newer ExpertLine packs in particular being hugely impressive (and annoyingly they charge like they know it haha). Teach yourself the PZB train protection system for a spot of extra fun!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Basically this. The only problem is that since their newer stuff keeps getter better and better it's beginning to make their old stuff look quite tired too, let alone the default kit :lol:
I agree, their oldest stuff is quite basic really compared to anything from the last couple of years.

UP13

My current favourite 3rd party developer is BMG. Absolutely love their Black Five and Merchant Navy.

Favourite route at the moment is actually freeware, the Waterloo Suburban Lines but that is more to my personal connection with the route than quality.

I find most of the electric and diesel traction to be quite dull to drive but I really do like the ones that require some skill to drive. The original Class 86 is a bit dated now but I still really enjoy driving it.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
My current favourite 3rd party developer is BMG. Absolutely love their Black Five and Merchant Navy.

Favourite route at the moment is actually freeware, the Waterloo Suburban Lines but that is more to my personal connection with the route than quality.

I find most of the electric and diesel traction to be quite dull to drive but I really do like the ones that require some skill to drive. The original Class 86 is a bit dated now but I still really enjoy driving it.
I don't want to keep tooting AP's horn for them, but their Class 86 Enhancement Pack totally transforms the experience with that class. You get proper tap-changer physics, all the clunks and bangs and it really is quite a challenge starting a heavy freight from Tebay loop in the wet trying to balance power and the tendency to slip.

365 Networker

If you have ECML South, then I recommend the Northern City Line:-
You will require the AP 313 to drive the included scenarios.
I also recommend the AP/GU studios 317.

DerekC

Established Member
Could somebody give me a quick rundown on the base products available. I have just fired up a very ancient Dell laptop that has been sitting in the cupboard and run MS Train Simulator 2001 on Windows XP for the first time in about ten years. I know it won't run on my current Windows 10 setup and I want to start again with something new - but what? Don't want to spend too much or have to buy new hardware with fancy graphics cards.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Could somebody give me a quick rundown on the base products available. I have just fired up a very ancient Dell laptop that has been sitting in the cupboard and run MS Train Simulator 2001 on Windows XP for the first time in about ten years. I know it won't run on my current Windows 10 setup and I want to start again with something new - but what? Don't want to spend too much or have to buy new hardware with fancy graphics cards.
Difficult, Train Sim is poorly optimised so doesn't run well on old systems to be honest.

Don't know how you feel about DMUs? Diesel Railcar Simulator might run okay, it's much less demanding on graphics cards.

• Train Simulator. Used to be Dovetail RailWorks. Has been out for over a decade. They incrementally update it every year. Loads of content available but frame rate sometimes dips horribly. Still worth it though.
  • Train Sim World 2020. A new, separate simulator from the same people. Re-worked UI. Better looking. Not compatible with TS content.
  • Train Sim World 2. A sequel to the above. Compatible with most TSW2020 content. Very much the same thing, but with different included routes.
You should also consider:
  • Diesel Railcar Simulator. Cheap, indy-developed simulator. Very helpful prompts telling you what button needs pressed. Lots of included fictional routes. Looks like the 1950s. Performs pretty well on not-so-great machines.
  • World Of Subways 2: Berlin U7. If subways are your thing, this is for you. It's about 10 years old so it'll run on anything. You've got the entire Berlin U7, and two classes of train to drive. You're also responsible for firing the announcements. Can crash sometimes, and you'll need to right-click and run as admin or it won't save your settings.
  • World Of Subways 3: London Underground Circle Line. Much the same as the above, with the entire Circle line and the stretch of Hammersmith & City that runs alongside it. Also crashes sometimes. Also 10 years old and runs on anything.
  • TramSim. Brand new game. A bit expensive for what it is - one vehicle and one tram route. But if you want to drive a tram through an accurately-rendered Vienna city centre, this is the game for you.

DerekC

Established Member
Thanks for all the info - that's really helpful. I might try Diesel Railcar Simulator to start with as it seems to be compatible with my current setup. If I get really hooked I will just have to upgrade! What I have never understood is why you can't buy a software adaptor to run the old MS Train Simulator on a new machine. I guess it's because nobody thought it was worth it!

Status
Not open for further replies.