• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I use the camera on my HTC 'touch dual' 2mp - standard - but produces small photos to put on the web (FOTOPIC) without using up much free space.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

will1337

Pretty new to this but obsessed with the 60s/70s glass, mostly M42 mount. I use a Canon EOS1000D with amongst others:

Pentacon 30/3.5
Pentax Super Takumar 50/1.4
Pentacon 50/1.8
Zeiss Jena Tessar 50/2.8
Zeiss Jena Pancolar 50/1.8
Helios 44-2 58/2
Pentax Super Takumar 135/2.5
Pentacon 200/4 (broke the aperture mechanism oops)

I'm using entirely primes and my camera in full manual so as to learn photography "properly." Still need to find good and fast ~20, 80, 105, 300mm primes and start shooting in film, the AE1-Program in particular is jealous of it's digital grandchild.

CheapAndNerdy

Canon PowerShot A480 and I'm very pleased with it. I find it a decent compromise between price and picture quality. I like that it allows me to monkey about with settings, although it doesn't have image stabilization, which would be useful when taking hand-held videos or in low light scenarios.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Canon 350D. Chose Canon because already had Canon-fit lenses for film camera. 350D is OK, but autofocus not too quick or reliable in some lighting conditions, and has tendency to underexpose slightly. Also suspect sensor needs cleaning after 4 years use.

Bevan Price

I have just bought myself a new camera - a Samsung WB500.

The basic specifications are as follows:

Image sensor Type 1/2.33" (1.09cm) CCD
Effective Pixel Approx. 10.2 Mega-pixel
Lens Focal Length Schneider Lens f = 4.2 ~ 42.0mm (35mm film equivalent: 24 ~ 240mm)
Digital Zoom Still Image mode: 1.0X ~ 5.0X
Play mode: 1.0X ~ 11.4X (depends on image size)
Focusing Type TTL auto focus (Centre AF, Multi AF, Selection AF, Manual Focus, Face Detection AF)
Dimensions (WxHxD) 105 x 61.4 x 36.5mm
Weight 219g (without battery and card)
Display Type TFT LCD

More detailed specifications can be found on the Samsung website.

I will be using it to take some photos of "The Spitfire" railtour next Sunday, so will upload some photos soon.

Thanks
Ryan

lm321412

My camera is a Fuji S1500, Not a bad camera to be honest either!

However, I also use a Sony Cybershot for pocket photography, not too bad for still photos and can take some decent rail photos so it does the job perfect too.

Lampshade

Established Member
Spur of the moment: Sony Ericsson W595 (3.2MP, ridiculously slow shutter speed, only really good for static shots although very good quality)

'Proper' camera: Olympus X-42 (12MP, excellent shutter speed, excellent quality but does require a bit of delving around in menus to get the settings just right)

Csalem

Panasonic Lumix FZ18 which I'm happy with. Fits in my pocket or I can throw it in my bag and takes some pretty decent shots.

Until 2009, I used a Canon UC8-Hi8 Camcorder for videos, and a Nikon E4200 for photographs and quick videos. Now, I use a Canon SD780IS Digital Elph for both. The only thing this new camera lacks, is decent zoom. But 12.1mpx and 720p video doesn't go amiss!

Andy

For professional, high quallity pictures, i.e. Media events ect...

Body
Canon 7D

Lenses
Canon 24 - 70mm f2.8 L
Canon 50mm f.14 USM
Canon 70 - 300mm f2.8 L

For day to day use, and when i don't want my back breaking.

Body
Nikon D90

Lens
Nikkorr 18 - 105 mm

Both are very nice for the jobs that they do, but i think i prefer the 7D.

JohnB57

Anyone here use a Canon 5D mkII?

Not personally - I wish! - but a close friend uses one, with L series lenses (mainly for portraits and landscapes) and it's a stormer. A bit heavier than my 30D but just as easy to use and the live-view and HD video on top of the full frame sensor would make it an ideal tool for railway photography I think. Body and 70-200L = around £2,500 and not a lot around second-hand. My car cost less than that! Can't use with cropped sensor lenses of course so upgrading gets a bit expensive.

leewoods60019

I use a Panasonic Lumix 10MP and this camera is so fantastic! It is especially good in scenary photos and has many settings on such as macro, scenary and other effects on top of that! only cost about £100 these days, i've read reviews and it is as good quality as about £500 cameras! I have done many creative photography pictures with it - literally I can just walk, stop, take a photo, and move on! so simple to use and yet so cheap. And it's really good in photographing trains at 125mph with a slight motion blur makes it looks just fantastic!

Silver Link

Canon 5D and 50D with L series lenses. I use the 5D mostly for railway and other transport photography and the 50D for air shows and other aviation stuff.

Retropractor

I use a Nikon D200, with two zoom lenses, covering 18mm to 500mm.
My daughter kept 'borrowing' it then had to go one better. so recently acquired a D300.
I mainly use mine for bird photography. Another passion of mine.
Aftercare is with Adobe Photoshop Elements 8. On my nice shiny new 'snow leopard' iMac.
I find it totally bizarre, that my little Sony HC51 camcorder, with it's 40x optical zoom. Can actually get closer to my subject, than my Sigma 170~500mm zoom can.:|

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I use a Nikon D200, with two zoom lenses, covering 18mm to 500mm.
My daughter kept 'borrowing' it then had to go one better. so recently acquired a D300.
I mainly use mine for bird photography. Another passion of mine.

May I recommend the RSPB reserve at Rainham Marshes ( nearest station Purfleet ) for a day out then? Specifically, try the area around the "north boardwalk" part of the perimeter path. You'll be able to indulge in both bird and railway photography there;)

Retropractor

It's ridiculous! Rainham Marshes is a twenty minute drive, from my house. I am a member of the RSPB. Yet, I have never been there. I even work exactly opposite it, on the Kent side of the Thames.

jimrbrobinson

My Cameras? Well for 35mm 'old-fashioned' slide and film I still use my original Asahi Pentax K1000. Digital, depends where I am and how much I'm willing to carry. Usually the trusty Nikon Coolpix 5700 (with attachment lens adaptors), or if I'm travelling light my dinky little Nikon Coolpix S225. I gave up on mobile phone cameras long ago, though I appreciate the technology has probably improved in the last few years!! :)

TGV

Yes

it's a fabulous camera! But, with any camera, it can take a little bit of time to learn all its capabilities.

Just invested in a 7D and associated kit. Wow. Just... wow. 8fps?! Could be trackside on High Speed 1 and still get all the shots you need!

EltonRoad

Anyone here use a Canon 5D mkII?

Yes, I upgraded from a 40D. Coupled with a 24-105mm L lens, the image quality is just amazing. The thing you really notice is the size of the files - for RAW, typically 24 Mb but can go over 30. I upgraded the CompactFlash card to a SanDisk Extreme 60 Mb/sec as I was a bit fed up with waiting for it to write to the card and missing shots - definite improvement.

I've recently ordered a print onto a 40-inch canvas - when it arrives I'll post what the quality is like!

starrymarkb

Established Member
Am about to upgrade to a Sony DSC-H1 bridge camera. (£65 from Evilbay - waiting for Royal Mail to deliver it - if not today then will collect from the sorting office tomorrow after work) Will give me a lot more control over my shots then my compact :)

507 001

Established Member
Digital wise its a Nikon D300s and D40 as back up
Various lenses, favourite being the nikkor 35 f1.8

Film wise I have a minolta 7000 which was the first autofocus camera released.
a Zenit E
and a palmat automatic.

For "pro" work I regularly use a Canon 1D MkII but have also used 5D MkI's and II's. Never really liked the mark I but the new one is stunning. I've also had access to a 1D III

Sam Bentley

Various lenses, favourite being the nikkor 35 f1.8

Film wise I have a minolta 7000 which was the first autofocus camera released.

The Minolta was far from the first autofocus camera released;

Between 1960 and 1973, Leitz (Leica) patented an array of autofocus and corresponding sensor technologies. At photokina 1976, Leica had presented a camera based on their previous development, named Correfot, and in 1978 they displayed an SLR camera with fully operational autofocus. The first mass-produced autofocus camera was the Konica C35 AF, a simple point and shoot model released in 1977. The Polaroid SX-70 Sonar OneStep was the first autofocus single-lens reflex camera, released in 1978. The Pentax ME-F, which used focus sensors in the camera body coupled with a motorized lens, became the first autofocus 35 mm SLR in 1981. In 1983 Nikon released the F3AF, their first autofocus camera, which was based on a similar concept to the ME-F. The Minolta Maxxum 7000, released in 1985, was the first SLR with an integrated autofocus system, meaning both the AF sensors and the drive motor were housed in the camera body, as well as an integrated film advance winder - which was to become the standard configuration for SLR cameras from this manufacturer, as it would for Nikon. Canon, however, elected to develop their EOS system with motorised lenses instead. More recently, Nikon have also adopted this strategy with their AF-S range of lenses; their entry-level DSLRs do not have a focus motor in the body.

Status
Not open for further replies.