• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jimrbrobinson

My Cameras? Well for 35mm 'old-fashioned' slide and film I still use my original Asahi Pentax K1000. Digital, depends where I am and how much I'm willing to carry. Usually the trusty Nikon Coolpix 5700 (with attachment lens adaptors), or if I'm travelling light my dinky little Nikon Coolpix S225. I gave up on mobile phone cameras long ago, though I appreciate the technology has probably improved in the last few years!! :)

Just gone over to the S3000 from the S225 and I have to say WOW! :D Reason for change is I've let my Mum have the S225 as she borrowed it and liked it! :)

scotsman

Established Member
Stills: Fuji Finepix S1000fd (best travelled camera I have - has been from the Western Isles right down to Cornwall)
Video: JVC Everio

Royal Male

near a dissused station on the Hull to Scarborough
Canon 350D. Chose Canon because already had Canon-fit lenses for film camera. 350D is OK, but autofocus not too quick or reliable in some lighting conditions, and has tendency to underexpose slightly. Also suspect sensor needs cleaning after 4 years use.

Bevan Price

Cleaning the sensor is only a minute( 1 minute) job and you are not actually cleaning the sensor, just the little filter that stretches over the front of it.:p

Oh and I have the Eos 10d/20d and now using the 40d until the new year when the 7d will be purchased. Used Eos cameras for over twenty years since they came out. Before that I had Pentax when I started with a Me super and the old Practica Mtl 5 screw mount lenses.

I've just changed from using a Pentax ME super with a Takumar 28 - 85 lens to a Lumix something or other with the number 45 in it's title.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
All railway photoing/videoing is on my Canon G9, all other stuff (basically everything not to do with trains!) is on my Nokia 6301 phone :D

David

Established Member
I see I'm still 1 of the very few Pentax users on the forum <(

Anyway, I've recently bought a Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 APO Macro Super DG lens, and I will be buying a K-5 early in the new year.

TGVDUDE

Sony A230 - Perfect for the starter DSLR which I wanted
18 - 55 f3.5 - 5.6 Kit Lens
Looking to get the 50mm f1.4 to improve night shots,
Then A Longer Zoom Lens after that,
Before finally seeing what Improvements Sony have made to their 'Intermediate' range after that.

When I video (not as often as I used too) It's with a Sony DCR-SX30

507 001

Established Member
The Minolta was far from the first autofocus camera released;

Between 1960 and 1973, Leitz (Leica) patented an array of autofocus and corresponding sensor technologies. At photokina 1976, Leica had presented a camera based on their previous development, named Correfot, and in 1978 they displayed an SLR camera with fully operational autofocus. The first mass-produced autofocus camera was the Konica C35 AF, a simple point and shoot model released in 1977. The Polaroid SX-70 Sonar OneStep was the first autofocus single-lens reflex camera, released in 1978. The Pentax ME-F, which used focus sensors in the camera body coupled with a motorized lens, became the first autofocus 35 mm SLR in 1981. In 1983 Nikon released the F3AF, their first autofocus camera, which was based on a similar concept to the ME-F. The Minolta Maxxum 7000, released in 1985, was the first SLR with an integrated autofocus system, meaning both the AF sensors and the drive motor were housed in the camera body, as well as an integrated film advance winder - which was to become the standard configuration for SLR cameras from this manufacturer, as it would for Nikon. Canon, however, elected to develop their EOS system with motorised lenses instead. More recently, Nikon have also adopted this strategy with their AF-S range of lenses; their entry-level DSLRs do not have a focus motor in the body.

Yes I know all that! no need for a lecture, I do happen to know my kit. But to the average consumer who, no offence intended, I would imagine most people on this forum are, the 7000 was the first proper (ie using the system most camera manufacturers still use extensively) AF camera.
oh! one more thing, its not a maxxum, that branding was only used in the US!

Rob
http://http://rrphoto.webs.com

starrymarkb

Established Member
For video I use a Toshiba Camelio Pro HD, and I've just noticed a flaw, the viewfinder screen is a few degrees off compared to the camera body so when hand held I use the screen for reference and get slanting videos

Established Member
Has anyone on here upgraded from say a Canon 500D/450D/400D etc upto one of the more expensive models? How much difference is there between the two in terms of picture quality?

Matt Taylor

Established Member
In the last eight years I have owned the following, 300D, 450D, D30, 10D and currently own a 30D and a 5D. The biggest improvement in image quality came when I started using L series lenses, an L series lens on a 500D would probably beat a regular lens on a 50D.

It's been a couple of months since I added the 5D to my collection and while the image quality is generally the same as my 30D I find myself a great deal less limited by the 5D simply because it is more functional and in particular performs much better at high ISOs.

Last tuesday I took the 5D on it's first proper railway day out (LM Great Escape) and was very happy with the results and the way I could take pictures in circumstances where the 30D would have really struggled.

Established Member
In the last eight years I have owned the following, 300D, 450D, D30, 10D and currently own a 30D and a 5D. The biggest improvement in image quality came when I started using L series lenses, an L series lens on a 500D would probably beat a regular lens on a 50D.

It's been a couple of months since I added the 5D to my collection and while the image quality is generally the same as my 30D I find myself a great deal less limited by the 5D simply because it is more functional and in particular performs much better at high ISOs.

Last tuesday I took the 5D on it's first proper railway day out (LM Great Escape) and was very happy with the results and the way I could take pictures in circumstances where the 30D would have really struggled.
I also now have a 5D(ii), but I disagree about the image quality compared with a 30D (which I upgraded from) - the 5Dii is on a different level altogether, much superior. The same lens (24-105 L series) was used on both so that is a direct comparison.

Totally agree about the performance at higher ISOs; I can now take pictures at night without the need to lump a tripod around, though would use one for preference if I could be bothered to carry it around.

For example:
The first picture is taken 5000ISO 1/13 second at f7.1 and the second at 6400ISO 1/10 second at f4.5 - both using the image stabilising feature and neither possible on the 30D without recourse to a tripod. You can't really see the grain at this size, though that would easily be cleaned up with "Neat Image" or a similar program on a larger file.

Attachments

• 599.jpg
    599.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 66028.jpg
    66028.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 22

jrhilton

A range of cameras of the years, but at present a Canon 5Dmk2 for stills, Panasonic HPX500 for video production, and for holiday trips etc a point-and-snap Canon A590 (with CHDK) and sometimes I take my Canon HV30 (HDV video) along too.

The only firm I still use is actually S8 and 16mm for artistic effects only, but not much anymore!

These days my interests are mainly video, but as with many on here I simply don't have enough time to do all the things I want to do!

moonrakerz

Has anyone on here upgraded from say a Canon 500D/450D/400D etc upto one of the more expensive models? How much difference is there between the two in terms of picture quality?

In short - very little !

Please don't get swept along by "the more pixels, the better" hype.

I went from a 6mp point and shoot to a 6mp DSLR (both Nikon), the difference between the picture qualities was amazing - not that the P & S was bad.
The reason ? better quality sensor and processing and a much better piece of glass on the front.

I recently was on a cruise and got friendly with another passenger (a professional photographer). I have a Nikon D40, he had a Nikon D3x. The difference to me - about £4000 ! He would have produced far better photographs with my camera that I ever would with his !!

There is an awful lot of "name and number dropping" when it comes to cameras.
When my present one dies of old age I'll buy a new one, not before. I have invested in a couple of lenses though:
18mm - 200mm
150mm - 500mm
I use the smaller one most of the time and the long one does some good distant shots looking down on the subject.

Geezah1984

Canon EOS350D with standard 18-55mm lens and Tamron 35*-300mm lens. My first Digital SLR. I have had it since it had just come to market and love it. I have sadly not had the time to learn to use it "professionally" yet. However, I am happy with most of my photos I am taking. Got 2 2GB CF cards and 3 batterys as well. So I am never caught out.. hehe. I will be keeping this for at least 5 more years before updating (will keep this one though). Unless I come into some money before then. For filming I have a Sony Handycam (minidisc) which does the job.

*at work at the moment so unsure of exact start size on the lens.

TheJRB

Established Member
I use a Pentax K-x with the kit 18-55mm lens for stills and video. It's my first DSLR and I'm very happy. I upgraded from a Kodak CX7330 point and shoot and a Samsung DVD camcorder (VPDC171W) and the results are considerably better with the K-x!

GB

Established Member
I use an Olympus E620 + Grip for my shots.

Lens wise, after having several lower quality lenses I have settled for...

Zuiko 14-54mm MKII 2.8-3.5
Zuiko 50-200mm MKII 2.8-3.5

ightenhill

D80 and D300. To be honest the D300 is normally my studio and work camera though if lights an issue I will prefer it simply because the sensor on the old D80 is rather ltd above 400..

The point is though to add to what Moonraker has said.. I can get equally good photos from both if the conditions are good and the glass is the same speed and quality. However in the Studio the D300 does give me more options and flexibility

Tugboatden

1979 Olympus Trip 35, usually HP5 and occasionally until last November, Kodachrome 64. Simple and retro...

Mine's a Sony DSC-W350.

I'd like a DSLR, but...expensive. This is amazingly small and thin, easy to carry around, has intelligent scene recognition (so ninnies like me don't have to do anything) and shoots video in 720p. With an 8gb stick inside, it's just fine for me.

But if anyone could advise on a relatively cheap starter range DSLR....?

chrismid259

I use a Canon EOS 500D with 18-55mm lens. I know lots of people dislike the kit lens, but I find it perfect for train photography.

Status
Not open for further replies.