• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your dream tube stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterboo

Hi guys,

In all things underground, i was wondering...

What kind of things would contribute to your dream tube stock?
You can be as wacky as you want - anything goes.

However, im sure we can all agree that driverless is a no-go :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bakerstreet

Ah good question!
- Non-whiney motor noise.
- No over bright fluorescents.
- Less plastic.
- more latitudinal (do I mean that? I think so) seating.
- Less unnecessary automated noise beeps etc.*
- fewer automated announcements*
* having sought agreement with disability groups

waterboo

Ah good question!
- Non-whiney motor noise.
- No over bright fluorescents.
- Less plastic.
- more latitudinal (do I mean that? I think so) seating.
- Less unnecessary automated noise beeps etc.*
- fewer automated announcements*
* having sought agreement with disability groups

For most of those. That is why you have gotta love the Bakerloo !!

gordonthemoron

Established Member
actually, has anyone been on underground stock abroad which is significantly better than London? I've done NY, Hamburg, Stockholm, Warsaw, Leningrad, Moscow, Paris, Nuremburg, Munich, Berlin, Prague, Budapest, Bucharest, Barcelona, Istanbul, Ankara & Cairo and none were spectacularly better (although some are a lot worse)

waterboo

actually, has anyone been on underground stock abroad which is significantly better than London? I've done NY, Hamburg, Stockholm, Warsaw, Leningrad, Moscow, Paris, Nuremburg, Munich, Berlin, Prague, Budapest, Bucharest, Barcelona, Istanbul, Ankara & Cairo and none were spectacularly better (although some are a lot worse)

I been to a fair few. In my opinion, the question is not 'If they are better', but personally, are they comfortable.

What makes LUL better, is that they have comfortable, moquetted seating, and the heritage station tiling is very warming.

Helsinki was terrible. ATO and plastic benches for seats.

waterboo

agreed. For me personally, the 92TS, easily my favourite, but without the faults and with aircon and sprung seats.

If wanting to be a bit more adventurous, a deap level networker, easily my favourite suburban EMU.

Now you're getting somewhere. I want to take these suggestions and hopefully make a wee model with it.

Class 33

Established Member
Dream tube stock for me? The old 1962 Central Line stock! Much MUCH missed by me. They had real character to them.

Wish they'd at least have preserved one, for use on occasional special runs available to the public.

NLC1072

The old met stock with all seats in their 3+2 (there was something quite comforting about how it formed different sections within the carriage)

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I'm not bothered about air con, windows that open would be enough for me. I don't understand why tube stock no longer has opening windows, the breeze is enough to cool people down.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Inexplicably much larger on the inside, and containing a vague sense of dread. Full of people I vaguely know staring at me. End of carriage doors leading to my office. Breaks down leaving me to find a way out and proceed through the tunnels in the vague knowledge that I desperately have to be at the next station, but can't quite remember why.

NLC1072

Inexplicably much larger on the inside, and containing a vague sense of dread. Full of people I vaguely know staring at me. End of carriage doors leading to my office. Breaks down leaving me to find a way out and proceed through the tunnels in the vague knowledge that I desperately have to be at the next station, but can't quite remember why.

What ever you're taking, can I have some?!

Mikey C

Established Member
Thats 09 stock.

Mines the D stock

I'd agree with the original suggestion of Tube sized S stock. The 09s have no air con, or through gangways, while their seating is tiny and the windows small as well! The S stock seats are surprisingly comfortable

Yew

Established Member
Something with first class and a buffet car :D

Nym

Established Member
I'd agree with the original suggestion of Tube sized S stock. The 09s have no air con, or through gangways, while their seating is tiny and the windows small as well! The S stock seats are surprisingly comfortable

They also have no heaters ;)

They also came with a much older version of MITRAC and still is older / less integrated than S Stock's MITRAC system.

Status
Not open for further replies.