• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your Favourite County?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hst43102

Simple question. What's your favourite county?

Rules:
- Not necessarily where you live - or where you go on holiday
- Any current / historical counties are allowed - i.e. Richmondshire / Yorkshire / North Yorkshire
-
UK / NI only

I'll start with that one!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Wiltshire. Gorgeous scenery, nice enough towns (along with a lovely city with a famously tall spire), and friendly people.

Typhoon

Established Member
Simple question. What's your favourite county?

Rules:
- Any current / historical counties are allowed - i.e. Richmondshire / Yorkshire / North Yorkshire
-
UK / NI only

I'll start with that one!
I agree, some excellent walking experiences, even when it rained buckets when I was following Gunnerside Beck.

If not, Cumbria, not just for the Lake District but also because I have found stacks of my ancestors lived there.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Northumberland, if I must choose favourite in the entire UK.

Wales: toss-up between Pembrokeshire and Caernarfonshire
Scotland: Argyll
Northern Ireland: Derry

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Yorkshire (specifically the West Riding) is obviously the best county, but there are a few that help keep us on our toes...
Personally I quite like Somerset having lived there in the past. Shropshire doesn't really get the attention it deserves.

The less said about Lancashire the better, though! ;)

Calthrop

Established Member
Lincolnshire -- county of my birth (in Fenland far south thereof -- the "Holland" part). In my opinion, England's most unfairly under-rated county -- often scorned as supposedly low-lying, scenically boring, and generally "on the edge of nowhere". Not so -- various cultural / architectural splendours; a long sea-coast with several modest and not-so-modest (Skegness !) resorts; varied scenery, including ample hilly (even if not hugely high) tracts; wide-open spaces, thinly populated; lots of natural-history delights; and in my opinion, some of England's most sonorous-and-weird place names: who could resist Mavis Enderby or Skendleby Psalter?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
County Down in Northern Ireland, it's got the sea, mountains and the friendliest people on the Planet.

I must admit that I really love County Down too (my other half is from Bangor originally).

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Agree about County Down for second place, I had a holiday at Newcastle where the Mountains of Mourne sweep down to the Sea.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Durham. An honourable second for North Yorkshire. No further discussion necessary. All other selections are invalid.

xotGD

Established Member
Of course I am going to say County Durham.

Pre-1974 boundaries, of course.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
My favourite county is Lancashire, it has so much, Liverpool's waterfront and underground trains, Manchester and Salford's trams and skyscrapers, Blackpool's Illuminations and tramway, part of the Lake District, Pendle Hill, the East Lancashire Railway, my home town of Fleetwood, etc, it's magical every time I go back there. In August I had my most recent trip (I might post about it sometime), went round Lancaster, Preston, Blackpool, Manchester and Liverpool and every day was fun.

Ofcourse every county in England is special in it's own way, but I always feel at home in Yorkshire, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, Staffordshire and Lincolnshire counties too

Of course I am going to say County Durham.

Pre-1974 boundaries, of course.
The pre-1974 boundaries were never abolished, Durham has always continued to exist in the same geographical setting, just a county council and lieutenancy area of the same name are different smaller area causing Wikipedia to spread mis-information. Best thing in Durham is the Winter Gardens in Sunderland then a trip to the Wilko Cafe. :)
Rules:
-
UK / NI only
Richmondshire is technically not a current or historical county despite being a "shire" (akin to Hallamshire), but it is larger than many of them. Do the rules include County Boroughs? Some places were treated as a county for some administrative purposes despite remaining in their original county, Stockport County is one such example that has some fans.

Last edited by a moderator:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
My favourites are Yorkshire, Lancashire, Cumbria, Kent, Sussex, Norfolk and Cornwall.

The County Palatine of Lancashire which includes the Furness district that "Cumbria" pinched from us and our territory around Warrington which was stolen by Cheshire. In return we will gladly return the parts of Yorkshire around Waddington and Barnoldswick which we were forced to take over.

Status
Not open for further replies.