• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your favourite hybrid / combos / unusual mixed formations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whisky Papa

A tame example by comparison, but I'm pretty certain I saw a 158+142 combo on a Leeds-Carlisle run a few months back.

There was definitely such a combination on the Calder Valley heading towards Manchester (and possibly Southport) one afternoon a few weeks back, ie before the 195 launch. I couldn't remember seeing a 158+142 in passenger service before, although it occurs regularly on Northern ECS moves.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

big all

On Moderation
The hybrids I fondly remember...

4 EPBs with a mix of BR Standard and SR style coaches

4 x 4 EPBs with 9 compartment trailers (instead of 10) that were built in the 1940s as composites but never ran as such)

During the EPB facelifting programme, a mix of BR blue and blue/grey formations shortly before being sent to works

Seeing one or two 3-car Class 455s running in public service whilst coaches were away for accident damage (I believe there were 2, or more units temporarily renumbered "5800")

The former Southern Region were very good at "cut and shut" on accident-damaged coaches where for example, I saw first-hand, in BR workshops (e.g. Slade Green, Eastleigh or Selhurst) 4 Cig driving cabs being welded onto 4 Vep driving coaches (or vice versa) to replace native damaged cabs. Once painted up; you could never tell...

There was a 4 Vep running around in Connex livery with a former 4 TC driving trailer (unit 3582 ?)
the three car 455 was something like 5804/18 both involved in a derailment at gipsy hill when one unit hit a fallen tree and the other hit the derailment fortunately at lowish speed

hexagon789

Veteran Member
It was certainly originally the case that the majority would be returned to two car sets to work inter-local services in pairs on the Cornish main line, but that was before the short HST GTi sets came along to take up some of those duties, so I'm not sure what the score is now.

It's not a priority as such then

ajrm

Great, thanks. I do have a lot of DMU formations lists from the mid-80s through to the 90s but haven't ever noted anything formed as such. Incidentally, I didn't think any 105s ran in Scotland as late as 1986 but my memory clearly isn't that good as I discovered a rather nice 120/107/105 combination at https://www.railcar.co.uk/images/2243 from that year!

Yes, the 105s had been sent south in the early 1980s but a few came back north in 1986 along with the 120s when the 107 fleet was temporarily withdrawn (referred to elsewhere in the thread).

Bertie the bus

Established Member
In the modern fixed formation era there have still been numerous examples of units running in mixed liveries. I’ve got photos of 142s, 144s, 150s, 156s, 158s and 455s mostly in temporary formations with the carriages in different liveries. This one was particularly colourful - https://flic.kr/p/CHzoUw

As for unit combinations, my favourite is probably this photo at Preston of all 3 original 142 liveries. They arrived on 2 or possibly 3 different services but coupled and headed off ECS together - https://flic.kr/p/CkEivs

Terry Tait

Wonderful video, those were the days.
Is that music Jethro Tull? I like it.

RailWonderer

Established Member
They have run in passenger service, albeit rarely. Never been on a 450-444 conbo, always wanted to walk from one to the other.

Attachments

• 5EAE845D-0A2C-4B9E-9DAC-AFD6F1A2D6DD.jpeg
    5EAE845D-0A2C-4B9E-9DAC-AFD6F1A2D6DD.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 82

sprinterguy

Established Member
In the modern fixed formation era there have still been numerous examples of units running in mixed liveries. I’ve got photos of 142s, 144s, 150s, 156s, 158s and 455s mostly in temporary formations with the carriages in different liveries. This one was particularly colourful - https://flic.kr/p/CHzoUw
There was a shortlived Regional Railways/Northern Spirit class 142 combo circa 1999 that so confused Hornby that they brought out their Northern Spirit liveried model bearing that number, despite it being totally wrong for a complete Northern Spirit liveried unit.
As for unit combinations, my favourite is probably this photo at Preston of all 3 original 142 liveries. They arrived on 2 or possibly 3 different services but coupled and headed off ECS together - https://flic.kr/p/CkEivs
That's a fantastic capture. I hadn't realised that units in all three original liveries had ever worked together.

Is that music Jethro Tull? I like it.
It's not one I recognise, and it sounds like if it were it would be from my preferred eighties period. Might just be a pleasingly Tull-esque jingle.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
When the 144s got their "big" refurbishment (bus seats out, 2+2 Richmonds in) the 10 3-car units initially only had the driving cars done, as the centre cars were owned by WYPTE... so for a few weeks they ran with the centre cars unrefurbished and in the old-style "raspberry ripple" livery and the new in the newer "silver circles" colours.

In trying to find a photo, I discovered one (not mine) which shows the opposite: a refurbished centre car with unrefurbished driving cars, which I didn't think had happened! https://www.flickr.com/photos/dwbphotos/10426562024/

Dibbo4025

They have run in passenger service, albeit rarely. Never been on a 450-444 combo, always wanted to walk from one to the other.
Not sure why but this combination seems more common atm - there were at least 3 such distinct formations on Wednesday

AJM580

Just prior to the introduction of the 442s, 73s & 3-REP worked together - had one such combo on a non-stop Waterloo - Southampton with a top speed of 97 mph.

Bringback309s

Some great combos here - so used to love walking through a train and having such a choice of seating arrangements and upholstery to choose from!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Some great combos here - so used to love walking through a train and having such a choice of seating arrangements and upholstery to choose from!

Soi's videos are certainly some of the most interesting doing the rounds on YouTube right now

Rob F

Thanks for the clarification.

Maybe it's just me, but all Blue looks so drab. Personally I much prefer the Strathclyde PTE livery.
I entirely agree, but then I am always surprised by the number of people who regard GNER livery as the best of the post-privatisation schemes. It is just plain blue with a red stripe!

Mogz

I also used to enjoy getting on a rake of Mk2's and sniffing out the odd side corridor Mk1 right at the back beyond the guards van that no-one knew was there so you'd get a whole compartment to yourself.

I remember some of the North Wales Coast 37 hauled sets had these! Half a coach of Standard Class compartments. Loved them!

Back on topic, though, I remember once seeing a football special at Liverpool Lime Street in about 1998-2000 or so that had a rag bag of coaches in various liveries, from BR blue to VT, ranging from MK1 to Mk3.

PYROOGOBBO

This was probably a rare-ish working, but i remember taking a 158 + 170 to Glasgow queen street, and it was awesome, sometimes i see the train combo still doing workings but is probably rare as heck now

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I entirely agree, but then I am always surprised by the number of people who regard GNER livery as the best of the post-privatisation schemes. It is just plain blue with a red stripe!
Sorry for the off-topic, but I think was partly that the GNER image exuded retro chic with the name and the coat of arms on every coach. One could say GNER were hipsters:- they were nostalgic before it was cool...!

Status
Not open for further replies.