• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your favourite railway stations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
I've not updated it for a while, partly because I'm getting a bit weary of what a palava it is trying to photograph stations these days.:roll:

You've seen the video with the bloke from The Gadget Show in it, surely? Nobody will care who takes photos once the Olympics are over and done with.

I like lots of stations which have already been mentioned, but I'll throw Wembley Stadium in there too. Its really nice since the refurbishment to coincide with the new stadium opening. The bridge over the top of the platforms is spectacular.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RPM

Established Member
You've seen the video with the bloke from The Gadget Show in it, surely? Nobody will care who takes photos once the Olympics are over and done with.

I like lots of stations which have already been mentioned, but I'll throw Wembley Stadium in there too. Its really nice since the refurbishment to coincide with the new stadium opening. The bridge over the top of the platforms is spectacular.

I'm in two minds about Wembley Stadium. The bridge is spectacular and it all looks good - from a distance. However if you look at it close up the finish on the bridge is really terrible, especially on the staircases. The surface of the glass housings that contain the blue uplighters catch water and are covered in green algae as a result. The platforms are dingy beneath the bridge and the wasteland and the backs of the wooden hoardings on the up side look messy. The whole station has an air of never having been properly finished off. A shame because with a little effort it could be fantastic.

6Gman

Established Member
A train stops at a station, train station. I understand it may not be historically correct but I fail to understand peoples reasons for becoming so annoyed about it.
PS, I'm not trying to offend, provoke or annoy anyone I'm just saying that's all.

Fires don't stop at fire stations!

:lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
No-one's (I don't think) has mentioned London's Liverpool Street. From a grimy dingy grotty cramped station it's morphed into a beautiful light, airy and spacious terminus.
Or from a fascinating Victorian artefact to a soul-less underground unit park!

:lol:

VTPreston_Tez

I also like Lille Gare Du Nord, absolute quality with its platforms that you can see from the entrance and those I struggle to find. A beautiful Eurostar terminal with a great metro station

billio

I think Leeds is just away from being a really top station, just needs the main concourse to be demolished & expanded onto New Station St, getting rid of the Horrible 'welcome to Leeds' of a fume-clogged backstreet. Something like the Piccadilly concourse covering all of NSS, from Boar Lane to City Sq, would make it a really top station.

Yes I think you are right, the entrance and circulation area could be significantly improved. It is the train-shed that I like, though it is too dull.

AndyHudds

Cant believe only 1 person has mentioned Huddersfield,ok, inside its nowt to write home about but outside architecturally it must be one of the best in Britain!!!

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Alton - kept to a high standard, with flowers etc., the beautifully painted Watercress line area, and the tiny wooden footbridge giving a lovely rustic country feel.

johnnychips

Established Member
I also like Lille Gare Du Nord, absolute quality with its platforms that you can see from the entrance and those I struggle to find. A beautiful Eurostar terminal with a great metro station

Lille Gare du Nord? Lille Europe or Flandres, or Paris Gare du Nord, surely?

If we are allowed to do foreign stations, Liege Guillemins is spectacular to look at; although I've used it several times, it's never been on a really windy or rainy day, and I wonder what it'd be like then.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?hl=e...177&start=0&ndsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:21,s:0,i:138

Liam

Established Member
Wemyss Bay.

Achnasheen and Strathcarron are pretty aswell.

Gathursty

Established Member
Manchester Piccadilly for big stations.
Lancaster and Skipton for medium sized stations.
Braystones, Broadbottom and Mallaig for small stations.

ACE1888

Bere Alston (West Devon) centre of the universe in my book ;)
Templecombe as well, probably down to it's 'legendary' past more than anything

Not forgetting Tame Bridge Parkway and Langley Green, nice little stations, the ticket office can also be used as a watching room, a square building with seats on the sides, the platforms are pretty clean, with London midland shelters on both platforms, both like pretty cosy

SS4

Established Member
I really like smethwick galton bridge, I think the design of the station for one is brilliant, as well as the waiting rooms

A good keep fit station too lol. Sometimes I think it's easier to change from New St - Moor St than it is changing there XD

johnnychips

Established Member
Been thinking about this thread a lot before posting, and I've decided my home station, Doncaster, is really good:

- next to Bus Station
- great services to everywhere
- clean toilets
- TVMs never busy
- helpful staff
- human announcements
- seven TOCs, and freight coming though; view of works
- usual range of shops/buffets, usual dear prices :(
- four good pubs in walking distance including Tut 'n Shive (best) just across ring road
- good pick-ups and taxis

Best big station: Manchester Picc; small station: I've always found Seascale to have a certain charm.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Not my favourite, but Crystal Palace is an interesting station, very, very grand, with the sort of stone staircases and brickwork you'd expect to find outside mansions, not at a South London railway station.

Been thinking about this thread a lot before posting, and I've decided my home station, Doncaster, is really good:

- next to Bus Station
- great services to everywhere
- clean toilets
- TVMs never busy
- helpful staff
- human announcements
- seven TOCs, and freight coming though; view of works
- usual range of shops/buffets, usual dear prices :(
- four good pubs in walking distance including Tut 'n Shive (best) just across ring road
- good pick-ups and taxis

All of which is overruled by the fact it's in Doncaster ;)

Smethwickian

]Originally Posted by 172212
I really like smethwick galton bridge, I think the design of the station for one is brilliant, as well as the waiting rooms

A good keep fit station too lol. Sometimes I think it's easier to change from New St - Moor St than it is changing there XD

And sadly if LM gets its way and shuts the ticket office for many hours of the day, the lifts will be turned off more often and everyone negotiating the three levels from street to platforms will be getting fitter and fitter...

Although it's one of the stations I use most, and find it functional, practical, generally reasonably tidy and as clean as anywhere hereabouts, it certainly won't win any awards for design or added facilities.

And sadly if LM gets its way and shuts the ticket office for many hours of the day, the lifts will be turned off more often and everyone negotiating the three levels from street to platforms will be getting fitter and fitter...

Although it's one of the stations I use most, and find it functional, practical, generally reasonably tidy and as clean as anywhere hereabouts, it certainly won't win any awards for design or added facilities.

I also use it pretty much everyday and think it's an exceptional station.

rogger13

Hello,
First post.............Mobberley(Mid-Cheshire).......original buildings,level crossing and signal box.Nothing else around........apart from 'the railway' pub.Nowhere near the village it is supposed to serve.........even some block instruments.......

What more could you want....?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Cant believe only 1 person has mentioned Huddersfield,ok, inside its nowt to write home about but outside architecturally it must be one of the best in Britain!!!

The man is correct......

and if you want a beer......?

dangie

Established Member
Birmingham New Street: the underground aspect shelters you from the sun but it's not totally underground so it's not stuffy like the tube, it's easy to navigate despite the number of platforms and Phil Sayer.
I think only a Railway Enthusiast could like New Street :roll::roll::roll:

I spend many an hour at Stafford.

theboywho

I have to say that Thomas Prosser's portico on the north elevation of Dobson's Newcastle Central station cannot escape this thread. It is a pity that a 'British Rail grey' colour surrounds the station clock. It somewhat spoils the beautiful ashlar exterior, which itself matches the town.

Prosser's renaissance style extension to the Central Station Hotel next door deserves a mention too!

pitdiver

My favourite station without any doubt must be .......Berney Arms. I feel so sorry for it all alone in the middle of nowhere, in my favourite county Norfolk. I think it needs some support.
Must have too much wine with my lunch. Happy New Year everybody

lancastrian

My two favourite stations are Buckingham Great Central & Kendal Castle. Yes I know they are both models, sadly Kendal no longer with us. But they are a wonderful might have been.

clc

Established Member
Glasgow Central. I've been through it a thousand times but it never fails to impress. The large open plan concourse is easy to navigate and the scale and height of the vast fully glazed roof makes it bright and airy. There's also the magnificently engineered bridge over the Clyde on the approach. The whole thing is just a wonderful example of Victorian audacity.

The low level could do with a revamp mind you.

CallySleeper

Established Member
Birmingham New Street (when Phil was there - not so much now)
Edinburgh post-renovation
London St Pancras, and Kings Cross, again post renovation - architecturally as much as anything... anyone remember the advent calendar at St. Pancras a few years back?
Pretty much any station north of Crianlarich on the WHL.
Pitlochry and Blair Atholl... for their size and remote nature.
Holyhead - as an old stamping ground to Ireland, layout and 24/7 nature despite its size
Crewe - again, lots to see... anything from 390s to beds, and another old stamping ground
Lichfield Trent Valley. No explanation required.
Nottingham - childhood love and home although the lack of an AMT coffee during the mass refurbishment is a downer :(

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Helsby-Well looked after and nice atmosphere there
Wymondham-Same reason
Manchester picc-Well laid out and good services
Alfreton-Dunno

Status
Not open for further replies.