• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your favourite railway stations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
In the UK?

If not then the stunning architecture of Flinders st in Melbourne would probably be mine. Though its worth noting that the inside probably leave s a lot to be desired.

If yes, the probably Newcastle Central.

LE Greys

Established Member
Well, seeing as I didn't reply to that one, I may as well say that my favourite railway station is Berney Arms, for sheer quirkiness. With big stations that everybody's heard of, I love York for both its architecture and the sheer variety of stock that comes through (especially on summer Saturdays if you can position yourself to see both the NRM and the avoiding lines). Smaller country stations are rare now, but you can still find them in some places, and somewhere like Montrose can provide the odd bit of interest when the regular 170s are interrupted by an HST from London or a freight, plus all the birds out on the basin.

tsr

Established Member
I know this is probably cheating, but I do rather like Great Portland Street tube station. On the NR network, it would have to be the esteemed terminus station of London Marylebone.

dave_wm

I really like St Erth in Cornwall, there's a lovely atmosphere and on a busy Summer Saturday with passengers changing in their hundreds from main line train to branch train and vice-versa it still has some of the magic of the old Great Western - plus the semaphores add to it! I just hope they don't ruin it with this new Park & Ride scheme.

SS4

Established Member
Birmingham New Street: the underground aspect shelters you from the sun but it's not totally underground so it's not stuffy like the tube, it's easy to navigate despite the number of platforms and Phil Sayer.

Four Oaks: Quite sparse but it's a nice, open station which is quiet. OK, it only sees 323s but I don't mind them.

Baker St Tube station: Only partially underground and plenty of good connections

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I would have to say Perth, however for some reason I also like Bristol Parkway and Liverpool St.

RPM

Established Member
Well, for general loveliness try Aigburth, Box Hill & Westhumble, Gobowen, Stoke Mandeville, Stroud. There are many others though, these are just a few off the top of my head. But please, just to assauge the sensibilities of old farts like myself, these are "stations" or "railway stations". You'll find plenty of "train stations" but they will be in America.

SprinterMan

Established Member
My favourite stations in no particular order:

Large Stations:
London Kings Cross - Lovely new roof
London Paddington - The gateway to the west country
London Liverpool Street - Fond childhood memories
Manchester Piccadilly - Most grandeur non-London station
Norwich - Could sit here for hours watching the world go by
Birmingham New Street - Most like an airport
Birmingham Moor Street - A living piece of history, and it has nice palm trees
Crewe - Superb for spotting
Shrewsbury - Captures that old-time country feel perfectly
Peterborough - A very nice InterCity/Regional station

Medium Stations:
Ely - The Crewe of the fens
Helsby - won all those station of the year awards for a reason
Marks Tey - Reportedly the coldest station in East Anglia
Bangor - My local station :P And it has a nice buffet
Llandudno Junction - The busiest station in North Wales apparently
Holyhead - The platforms are separated by a lake
Liskeard - Interesting layout and nice views looking down the mainline
Woodbridge - Lovely location and it has a hotel in it

Small Stations
Shippea Hill - Why build a station here :P
Starcross - From the train it looks like it's in the sea
Sudbury - My local station when I'm not at uni
Chappel & Wakes Colne - It has a museum in it
Wickham Market - Very spooky at night
Conwy - Built in/around castle walls
Llanfairpwll - The visitors centre is very good
Looe - A lovely end to a lovely little branch line
Frinton-on-sea - was better when it had the manual crossing gates
Berney Arms - Serves a windmill
Somerleyton - Lovely little station in the broads
Micheldever - Lovely pub next door to it, interesting layout, trains enter from a tunnel under a cliff

Adam :D

Last edited:

shedman

I really like Aviemore. A pleasant station in the shadow of the Caingorms, step outside into a bustling main street.

TheJRB

Established Member
Marylebone must be my favourite. It has a certain charm and feels oddly more relaxed compared to other London terminal stations.

Brighton is another one I like. The grand roof and concourse give it a definite feeling of importance much like London Bridge.

I was impressed with Worcester Foregate Street when I visited last month too. Certainly quite a novelty with trains running in both directions on both lines.

Requeststop

I really like St Erth in Cornwall, there's a lovely atmosphere and on a busy Summer Saturday with passengers changing in their hundreds from main line train to branch train and vice-versa it still has some of the magic of the old Great Western - plus the semaphores add to it! I just hope they don't ruin it with this new Park & Ride scheme.

Oh yes St. Erth is my favourite as it's 2 stops from what was my home. I'll be there next week and will be looking out for the changes. In the old days when Lelant was a proper station and the station house was used, it would have been my favourite station, especially when the tide was in in the Hayle river basin.

When I last visited the UK I took the chance to look at the new St Pancras and was impressed. Bristol Temple Meads is another station I like but I don't travel through Bristol anymore.

NY Yankee

London

Kings Cross
Waterloo
Canary Wharf (Jubilee, DLR)

NYC

Grand Central
Jamaica Station (LIRR,Airtrain)
96 Street/Broadway
Court Square
Atlantic Avenue-Barclays Center
Woodside (LIRR, 7 train)
Eastern Parkway-Brooklyn Museum
Times Square-42nd Street
Hoboken (PATH, NJ Transit)
Newark-Penn Station (PATH, Amtrak, NJ Transit)

Boston

South Station (Amtrak, Boston T)

Washington DC

Shady Grove
Silver Spring
Largo Town Center

S6301441.jpg

S6301440.jpg

bnm

Established Member
Another thread using 'train station' in it's title. :roll: <mutter, grumble, bah>

My favourite railway station is London Paddington.

pitdiver

My favourite large Railway Station has to be Waterloo.:D It brings back many childhood memories. As for small station it has to be Berney Arms for the same reason LE Grey gave.

Yew

Established Member
I quite like queen street, however for closed stations I think nottingham London road is nice.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I agree with those who have mentioned Birmingham Moor Street, York and Marylebone. Also Worcester Foregate Street probably does indeed have one of the most interesting operating set ups.

My new suggestion is Filey. Lovely historic station, complete with overall roof and cast iron footbridge. It is centrally located in the town, just a shame it has such a poor level of service!

My favourite railway stations are: York, St Pancras International,Glasgow Central, Manchester Piccadilly and Newcastle.

Rugd1022

Top of the list for me has to be Paddington.... despite the alterations over the years, the overhead wiring and that 'orrible shiny platform surface it still manages to retain that old GWR 'gateway to the west' magic.... a while back I was working the Chiltern diviersions in and out of there, conducting FGW drivers on HSTs etc and went back to the mess room on platform one for the first time since leaving Old Oak in 1985, the memories soon came flooding back. In those days, certain parts of the station were still very dark and dingy and hadn't changed that much since steam had finished in 1965, the atmosphere was wonderful sometimes. Beyond the stop blocks of platform 12 there used to be an old rat infested wooden cabin tucked up right in the far corner where a large kettle was left permanently on the go, we used to nip in there and fill our brew cans on the night shift when bringing up the stock for the sleepers and newspaper trains. A big perk of working those particular pilot jobs was the huge bundle of papers we'd get for free, often we'd take as many as we could get in the cab and take them back to Old Oak for the day shift to peruse over their morning cuppa. The shunters had their own cabin under the stairs at the country end of platforms 8 and 9 and had a kettle on the go all night too, many's the time I nipped in there for a top up. It all seems like a lifetime ago now, but whenever I happen to be in the area I'll pop in and have a wander round just for old time's sake... in recent months, GWR Journal magazine has been doing a series of articles on Padd with some wonderfully evocative photos from the 30s right through to the 60s, looking at them I can just imagine what it must have been like when my maternal Grandparents used it everyday during the week and headed west from there in the Summer holidays...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21403537@N00/sets/72157594510347143/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21403537@N00/4894175072/in/set-72157594510358068

St.Erth gets a vote from me too, another proper GWR location with an atmosphere all it's own, let's hope change doesn't chance upon it too soon...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21403537@N00/2358154222/in/set-72157594510358068

It's too late for Reading though, another Western Region favourite for so many reasons... I drove past it last week and felt a pang of nostalgia for when it still looked like a proper railway station... the destruction of the GWR canopies makes me weep...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21403537@N00/402043120/in/set-72157594510358068

Leamington Spa, not too far from home, is another favourite... the recent tidy up and lick of (GWR) paint is very much appreciated and it always raises a smile when I pass through on the Oxford job...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21403537@N00/369194101/in/set-72157594510358068

Lots of other favourites worth a mention.... Worcester Shrub Hill, Kemble, Exeter St Davids, Dawlish, Teignmouth, Liskeard, Truro, St Austell, Penzance, York, Crewe, Shrewsbury, Kings X... a lot of these places have suffered one way or another over the years but they all still have something special about them ;)

Last edited:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
. On the NR network, it would have to be the esteemed terminus station of London Marylebone.
Sadly of course, it's the "only really half finished" terminus station, with so many platforms that were never and will never be built.

I think in the previous thread I said Stirling. I stand by it. The sweep of the staircase to the footbridge is superb.

junglejames

Established Member
Marylebone for London stations.
Norwich (Lovely bright station)
Lancaster (Need I say anymore?!)
Crewe (Although it could do with a tidy up)
Crianlarich, and most of the other stations up the WHL
Altnabraec (Trainspotters paradise!)

6Gman

Established Member
Well, for general loveliness try Aigburth, Box Hill & Westhumble, Gobowen, Stoke Mandeville, Stroud. There are many others though, these are just a few off the top of my head. But please, just to assauge the sensibilities of old farts like myself, these are "stations" or "railway stations". You'll find plenty of "train stations" but they will be in America.

Hear hear :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Taunton was a joy when there were processions of holiday trains ... 45s, 46s, 47s, 52s etc etc

EltonRoad

Another thread using 'train station' in it's title. :roll: <mutter, grumble, bah>

My favourite railway station is London Paddington.

Another post with an incorrect usage of the apostrophe - you mean "its" not "it's". :)

8J

I like New St as is it so buzzing. I also like how they have refurbished Liverpool Lime Street.

As a small station though, I love Hoylake as the attitudes of the station staff are second to none. They look after it very well and are always helpful and willing. Plus there is a really old section of jointed track after it that is really LOUD! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.